• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Good deburring bits for die grinder?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I have recently discovered the wonderful world of die grinders, mainly because Milwaukee came out with cordless airless 12v, both straight and angled. I have already hammered on the angled one, and don't know how I lived without it. The straight one arrived yesterday. I fished out of the garage a few attachments, but could use some new deburring bits...Theres plenty of chinesium sets on ebay for dirt cheap, but I would rather pay a few bucks more for something top quality that wont snap off and chunk out my forehead just before lunch break. What are some good brands to look for?? Seeking recommendations, anecdotes and dirty limericks welcome as well. Cheers.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
get ahold of an online industrial catalog. they will have info on what materials the bits are good for, and preferred speeds.
on the website of a local shop they list specific details for each tool.

MikeG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B4000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
235/75r15
Grainger, McMaster-Carr, Enco, Wholesale Tool (if they're still around), Grizzly..... bunch of sources out there.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
There is a Grainger nearby, I will probably start there....Thanks MikeG.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I usually get mine at Fastenal. I don't recall the brand as it's been a while but it was NOT their current Blackstone store brand. A welding supply place might have some good ones too.

With stuff like this I just assume that if Home Depot, Sears, Lowes, Tractor Supply, etc carries it, it's probably junk.

How do you like the straight grinder? I have the right angle one and love it. Probably one of the best tools I've ever bought. Thought about buying the straight one but I don't know if I'd use it much, it's pretty rare that I use my straight air die grinder.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I usually get mine at Fastenal. I don't recall the brand as it's been a while but it was NOT their current Blackstone store brand. A welding supply place might have some good ones too.

With stuff like this I just assume that if Home Depot, Sears, Lowes, Tractor Supply, etc carries it, it's probably junk.

How do you like the straight grinder? I have the right angle one and love it. Probably one of the best tools I've ever bought. Thought about buying the straight one but I don't know if I'd use it much, it's pretty rare that I use my straight air die grinder.
Sadly agree that most stuff from big box stores is junk. I forgot about Fastenal, and didn't think to check my local Airgas. good call. I need argon tank anyways...field trip next day off.

I haven't used the straight grinder much, but so far so good. I mainly use with the cutoff wheels and deburring bits. And to have the set of both grinders. Not as useful as the angle, but still comes in handy. I don't know how I lived without the angled guy, I may get another one, just to have lol.

I always wanted/needed a die grinder, but never had enough air to run one decently. I am very thankful this exists. I am a Makita man, but now carry dedicated Milwaukee batts/charger just for these lil guys. PS I bought a 2 pack of 3.0 batteries and 6.0 pack. Greatly expanded run time. Good stuff.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I always wanted/needed a die grinder, but never had enough air to run one decently. I am very thankful this exists. I am a Makita man, but now carry dedicated Milwaukee batts/charger just for these lil guys. PS I bought a 2 pack of 3.0 batteries and 6.0 pack. Greatly expanded run time. Good stuff.
I'm living proof that it doesn't matter which way you have it... the grass still looks a bit greener on the other side of the fence.

I just wish these new fangled battery operated tools weren't so damn expensive. Hard for me to justify spending the money when I already have most of what I need that in the air category.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I'm living proof that it doesn't matter which way you have it... the grass still looks a bit greener on the other side of the fence.

I just wish these new fangled battery operated tools weren't so damn expensive. Hard for me to justify spending the money when I already have most of what I need that in the air category.
I know what you mean, I had a ton of air tools (still do) and just a couple basic 18v DeWalt cordless things. I kept collecting when I found things on sale or cheap used, now I've got four different battery types to deal with!!!

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo

The kits are usually not much more than just the spare batteries. After that its a matter of getting a bare tool here and there, which usually makes it cheaper. I love air and electricity, but they're often luxuries in my situations. Besides no chords or hoses makes them so much more maneuverable. Worth every penny I say.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I know what you mean, I had a ton of air tools (still do) and just a couple basic 18v DeWalt cordless things. I kept collecting when I found things on sale or cheap used, now I've got four different battery types to deal with!!!
What sucks is they all vary too. I think they are in cohoots so everyone eats. Dewalt is for nail guns, Milwaukee and makita make a lot of trade specific stuff, and varying versions of the same tool for options. I scoff at Ryobi, Rigid etc....the big box brands, although they also have some cool stuff I guess...Im kind of a tool snob.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Makita has some really cool tools. If I wasn't already so deep in other brands I'd start collecting that... their little chainsaw, the cordless coffee maker and the impact that takes both 1/2 sockets and 1/4 bits are all just so frickin cool.

I am also a tool snob. Guilty!

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Makita has some really cool tools. If I wasn't already so deep in other brands I'd start collecting that... their little chainsaw, the cordless coffee maker and the impact that takes both 1/2 sockets and 1/4 bits are all just so frickin cool.

I am also a tool snob. Guilty!
I have all of those things! My poor wallet...
Got the top handle saw that takes 2 batteries, much easier than firing up the gas saw just to cut a few branches or make kindling. I have the weed wacker as well (brushless).The big 1/2" impact rips off lugnuts. I had the orginal switch trigger one, but gave it to a buddy and got the brushless. The coffee maker kind of sucks lol. The compact bandsaw is indispensable as I am a metal worker. The paddle switch angle grinder is awesome. The sub compact stuff in all black is meh....not even more compact. I have a few screwguns, we use those at work alot. For some reason, the makita vacuum is terrible, Milwaukee one is awesome! Maybe the Makita has improved their vacs since my old version. Also the nailguns are hit and miss...

I also wanted to stick to one brand, which started as Makita because that's what the old man left me. Then I scored some free Milwaukee stuff as gifts, and started expanding on that.

Of all the tools, I say nail guns are the only things that need air. The battery ones are just not the same, nor as good. Dewalt makes the best battery nail guns, that actually work, but Im done for now lol.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals