• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Good deal yes or know?

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
I was at a friend of mines shop borrowing a metric tap told him it was to tap out the 95 header flange on my 87 2.3 ranger and he asked me if id be interested in a turbod 2.3 out of a t-bird he thought.We went over and he pulled off the tarp and there sat the motor "complete" & T5 tranny I looked and it had the bell crank clutch arm of a Mustang.The upper & lower intake looks like NOTHING I've seen on any 2.3 he told me it had 80.000 miles on it and that a customer was going to put it in a RANGER but went the 302 route instead.I had 1 of the younger guys turn the harmonic balancer over by hand it turned over with effort "GRUNT".I paid him $200.00 for everything did I make a mistake or luck out? I'm thinking its out of a SVO? :dunno: THANX! UPDATE! There's an 84 SVO MUSTANG on E-bay That has the intake I'm talking about.

Last edited:

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
So much win...even if it needs a rebuild...

Did you get the computer and wire harness too? That would be like winning the lottery without buying a ticket...:)

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
No

So much win...even if it needs a rebuild...

Did you get the computer and wire harness too? That would be like winning the lottery without buying a ticket...:)
That didn't come with We're hoping to find the comp and harness for an svo or maybe a turbo t-bird. :icon_idea:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
modifying the stock harness works best, just add the handful of wires for the VAM and so forth and repin the necessary wires. If you can get your hands on a VAM, Napa carries the computers for around $115, when I was looking for one the closest one was in Pennsylvania though... If you really need one I have a spare PC1 computer around I would sell

I got a better deal a few months ago, I got two turbo blocks, a volvo turbo, a stock T3/T4, two wiring harnesses, 4 computers and other odds and ends for $250. Neither engine is complete but close enough for me. My first 2.3T that's in my truck was $600 and it had some issues. For the price of what I got recently, I couldn't pass it up, and know I could make my money back plus some very easy just selling the parts I wouldn't use...

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If your '87 has the M5OD I would just use that with the turbo engine, it's nearly as good as the T5 but is already set up to work... If I remember right the T5 behind the turbo engines was the world class version which is supposed to be the best but the M5OD is sufficient, that's what I'm running and my tranny has about 200k miles on it, 20k of that with a turbo engine...

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Vam?

modifying the stock harness works best, just add the handful of wires for the VAM and so forth and repin the necessary wires. If you can get your hands on a VAM, Napa carries the computers for around $115, when I was looking for one the closest one was in Pennsylvania though... If you really need one I have a spare PC1 computer around I would sell

I got a better deal a few months ago, I got two turbo blocks, a volvo turbo, a stock T3/T4, two wiring harnesses, 4 computers and other odds and ends for $250. Neither engine is complete but close enough for me. My first 2.3T that's in my truck was $600 and it had some issues. For the price of what I got recently, I couldn't pass it up, and know I could make my money back plus some very easy just selling the parts I wouldn't use...
How much would you want for the comp? Pardon my ignorance but I don't know what a VAM is? Where would the wires splice into the harness at?It didn't come with a intercooler what would you suggest? I hope you don't mind my using your experience,but I believe in listening to what people say who know more than I do.LOL:icon_confused: THANX!

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
The 87

If your '87 has the M5OD I would just use that with the turbo engine, it's nearly as good as the T5 but is already set up to work... If I remember right the T5 behind the turbo engines was the world class version which is supposed to be the best but the M5OD is sufficient, that's what I'm running and my tranny has about 200k miles on it, 20k of that with a turbo engine...
It already has a 2.3 with a T5 out of a 87 mustang I built it up for mileage,no cc and a glasspak and removed EGR valve and plugged the port.We have been looking at a couple of parked rangers you know tree sap camo and flat tires.My sons also been thinking about picking up a manual mustang body and maybe going that route.I kinna want to put it in a Bronco II and four wheel with it.It's his baby tho and what he wants to do we will do.:icon_welder:

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
How much would you want for the comp? Pardon my ignorance but I don't know what a VAM is? Where would the wires splice into the harness at?It didn't come with a intercooler what would you suggest? I hope you don't mind my using your experience,but I believe in listening to what people say who know more than I do.LOL:icon_confused: THANX!
$60 shipped? It's the PC1 program which works ok up to about 10psi and is set up for a manual transmission

VAM is the vane air flow meter, basically the 80's version of the MAF, it is VERY IMPORTANT to engine running, it's like the one HERE. There are two sizes, smaller one for '85/86 engines (the spare computer I have) and larger for '87/88. For the engine to run right with the '87/88 setup there are a couple wiring differences from the '85/86 setup along with an added air temp sensor in the intake manifold. The '87/88 setup is apparently a all around better tune and will handle more boost stock.

I'm not currently running an intercooler, the '85/86 engines came from the factory without one, I have a couple in my garage but have yet to decide what I'm going to do about one.

Half of the added wires are added to the current wiring and go straight to the computer, others just look through the diagram and splice somewhere that looks handy, I think I just spliced the power for the VAM into the throttle wires or something.

I suggest scrolling down the forum list and checking out the forced induction board and start reading, I'm more than happy to share my experience, but there's no perfect way of doing the swap and research is good.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Knowledge is power

$60 shipped? It's the PC1 program which works ok up to about 10psi and is set up for a manual transmission

VAM is the vane air flow meter, basically the 80's version of the MAF, it is VERY IMPORTANT to engine running, it's like the one HERE. There are two sizes, smaller one for '85/86 engines (the spare computer I have) and larger for '87/88. For the engine to run right with the '87/88 setup there are a couple wiring differences from the '85/86 setup along with an added air temp sensor in the intake manifold. The '87/88 setup is apparently a all around better tune and will handle more boost stock.

I'm not currently running an intercooler, the '85/86 engines came from the factory without one, I have a couple in my garage but have yet to decide what I'm going to do about one.

Half of the added wires are added to the current wiring and go straight to the computer, others just look through the diagram and splice somewhere that looks handy, I think I just spliced the power for the VAM into the throttle wires or something.

I suggest scrolling down the forum list and checking out the forced induction board and start reading, I'm more than happy to share my experience, but there's no perfect way of doing the swap and research is good.
I think this is an 84 SVO Mustang setup judging from the upper and lower intake runners they are inline with the head not "BOXED" together.I can get a VAM from a 87-88 turbo T-bird for 87.00 total is this compatible with my set up? Would I have to run the comp from the larger VAM? One more item what is the BAP? THANX!:icon_idea:

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
BAP is the same as a MAP sensor, just sensing barometric sensor not manifold pressure, your '87 should have a MAP sensor, simply leave it plugged in but take the vacuum hose off...

Large VAM needs the appropriate computer, I'll look through what I have, I might have a spare '87/88 comp but I think it's set up for an auto tranny. I'm heading out for the rest of the day, might have a chance to look this evening, or tomorrow morning if I don't.

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Thanx!

BAP is the same as a MAP sensor, just sensing barometric sensor not manifold pressure, your '87 should have a MAP sensor, simply leave it plugged in but take the vacuum hose off...

Large VAM needs the appropriate computer, I'll look through what I have, I might have a spare '87/88 comp but I think it's set up for an auto tranny. I'm heading out for the rest of the day, might have a chance to look this evening, or tomorrow morning if I don't.
It's people like you with the way you share that lets me see that not all people are self centered. We're running a 4.0 auto ECU with a 4.0 manual in my sons other ride no probs so far. THANK- YOU!:headbang:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
No problem! There's a lot of bad attitude around the interweb, I'd rather spend the time helping than just telling someone to search...

Turns out the inline intake manifold was used from '83-85.5 on the T bird or mustang, look to see what color the top of the fuel injectors is, if you're lucky they're brown, not as lucky they are green. brown are 35lb/hr, green are 30lb/hr, apparently the PC1 would be a better match to the green

Of the 4 computers I have, one turned out to be for a 460... Without a way to test the two LA series computers I wouldn't be comfortable selling one, but I know the PC1 computer works fine...

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Green

No problem! There's a lot of bad attitude around the interweb, I'd rather spend the time helping than just telling someone to search...

Turns out the inline intake manifold was used from '83-85.5 on the T bird or mustang, look to see what color the top of the fuel injectors is, if you're lucky they're brown, not as lucky they are green. brown are 35lb/hr, green are 30lb/hr, apparently the PC1 would be a better match to the green

Of the 4 computers I have, one turned out to be for a 460... Without a way to test the two LA series computers I wouldn't be comfortable selling one, but I know the PC1 computer works fine...
They are green darn it! :annoyed:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
make a wanted ad on here for brown top injectors, I did a couple years ago and ended up with my current set for a very reasonable price...

chilsam

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
91 branger
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
300 six
Transmission
Automatic
Gotta line

make a wanted ad on here for brown top injectors, I did a couple years ago and ended up with my current set for a very reasonable price...
Done some askn round think we might have a complete set lined up with the rail.Fingers r crossed:headbang: They're asking 20.00 for all 4 and the rail? Reasonable? Didnt work out! ooo well Ill keep looking.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals