• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3L ('02-'11) Good compression, misfires and oil consumption

mja_ranger04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Hey y'all, I am in some real need of real tech help.
I have an 04 ranger 2.3l, 201k miles.

1) It uses a high amount of oil, looks dirty soon after an oil change, with almost a silvery tint to it on the dipstick. The engine doesn't leak a drop of oil and the exhaust is normal. Where is the oil going?
2) I had a MAF trouble code come up, changed air filter and the sensor, cleared the code and hasn't returned.
3) when I am driving, I hear a pinging/rattling noise at half throttle coming from the engine.
4) I smell coolant at times while driving, but have no leaks... And not losing any.
5) Now, I am getting p0301 and p0316 codes, and horrible hesitation and bogging.
Plugs, wires, and coil were replaced last year.
Fuel pressure is at normal range around 80psi
I ran a compression test today, all cylinders are at 180/185 psi.
I believe the injectors are all working.

What could the oil consumption be?
The coolant problem?
The pinging?
The misfire?

Mike

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I think a bit of coolant is getting in the oil somehow. They have some simple tests for it but you'll have to wait on one that knows it well, I haven't really paid enough attention to any of those to give you clear details

UnNFormedFan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I am having identical problems with my 2003 DOHC 2.3l. I have found that I am burning oil through the engine. I have determined that there is an awful blow by that is being picked up thru pcv system and introducing aerosol oil into the incoming air from air filter. Compression test all showed within tolerance but the oil is coming from somewhere. Inside of my intake is coated in oil. I'm stuck. I'm losing 2 qts oil with a tank full of gas. I ran Royal Purple exclusively but can't afford the $12/qt anymore. I haven't been able to affect consumption at all. I bought the truck new in 03 and have loved the truck but can't trust it for long trips anymore. Ill be watching this one hoping for a solution.
Resized_Resized_20190110_131909003.jpeg

UnNFormedFan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The above picture is what I found under the valve cover gasket when I pulled it for the first time ay 175k miles.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The silvery tint is probably metallic shavings from internals getting destroyed

mja_ranger04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
The above picture is what I found under the valve cover gasket when I pulled it for the first time ay 175k miles.
So, where could the oil be going?
I am having a similar problem. I have yet to pull the valve cover off.
I had K&n filter installed and have since taken it out because i heard they cause problems with mass air sensors. When I removed the k&n, I noticed oil at the bottom of the air box... Odd. And it seems there is oil going up thru the breather tube on the valve cover, looks like oil is collecting around that. This is a weird one. So I bought a pcv valve to change it out because it may the culprit... Haven't done so yet. A mechanic guy said he doesnt think it would be the pcv since they don't do much... Not that I am trusting his word on that. I found a low mileage replacement engine and may just swap engines.

UnNFormedFan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Mja, what i am seeing the oil is being aerosoled by being forced thru either bad rings or from valve issues. I am yet to determine if it is coming from bottom end or a bad valve. All of my oil is coming in air supply as it is coating the inside walls of the intake manifold. So, I know where it is going, I just can't figure how it is getting there. I do not smoke no am I losing oil thru leaks. I have been fighting this for a couple years. When gas went to $5 a gallon I just parked it but am back to figuring it out..

mja_ranger04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Mja, what i am seeing the oil is being aerosoled by being forced thru either bad rings or from valve issues. I am yet to determine if it is coming from bottom end or a bad valve. All of my oil is coming in air supply as it is coating the inside walls of the intake manifold. So, I know where it is going, I just can't figure how it is getting there. I do not smoke no am I losing oil thru leaks. I have been fighting this for a couple years. When gas went to $5 a gallon I just parked it but am back to figuring it out..
Run a compression test, that will tell you if it's top or bottom engine, yeah? I ran one, and its fine.. Must be the head is toast... I also have oil coating my intake manifold but not past the throttle body.. Found it yesterday caked on. So this could be a damaged head/valves... ? I can't see how quarts of oil is getting past whatever in the engine and none is coming out of the tailpipe...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
"I can't see how quarts of oil is getting past whatever in the engine and none is coming out of the tailpipe... "

My guess would be getting burned up, is it smoking at all ?

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
what do the plugs look like?
run a cold & dry compression test. that's 1 test
the excess oil is acting like fuel in the cylinder, the O2 sensors think the oil is excess gas so the PCM cuts the fuel back.

when my 2005 used massive oil it didn't smoke, the cats cleaned it up. at full throttle there was some smoke.
it would bog at lower RPMs, at higher revs it would start firing on all 4, sort of....
eventually compression on #1 dropped to 75 psi, and the plug would oil foul in only a couple hundered miles.
when I pulled the piston, nothing looked worn but the rings exerted very little pressure on the cylinder.
the other 3 were perfect.

the design of these heads has the cam followers, AKA buckets, shrouding the valve seals. in my opinion it's unlikely the valve seals are bad.

UnNFormedFan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I'm told that a leakdown test is the way to tell top or bottom end. Compression test shows normal.

mja_ranger04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Figured out the p0301 and p0316... It was the coil, even though i put a new one on last year... NGK brand... Found a Denso one off another Ranger... So that problem is fixed.
Now on to the
-Intermittent coolant smell
-The oil consumption (which may be a blockage not allowing the oil to drain back down?, therefore resulting in a false reading in the stick)
- and the pinging/rattling at half throttle (which may be related to the oil problem)
I'm going to use Marvel mystery oil and see what happens.

mja_ranger04

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
what do the plugs look like?
run a cold & dry compression test. that's 1 test
the excess oil is acting like fuel in the cylinder, the O2 sensors think the oil is excess gas so the PCM cuts the fuel back.

when my 2005 used massive oil it didn't smoke, the cats cleaned it up. at full throttle there was some smoke.
it would bog at lower RPMs, at higher revs it would start firing on all 4, sort of....
eventually compression on #1 dropped to 75 psi, and the plug would oil foul in only a couple hundered miles.
when I pulled the piston, nothing looked worn but the rings exerted very little pressure on the cylinder.
the other 3 were perfect.

the design of these heads has the cam followers, AKA buckets, shrouding the valve seals. in my opinion it's unlikely the valve seals are bad.
Cold and dry test? Which is not to operating temp, and with all plugs out?
Plugs look normal.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals