• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Good appliance brands to buy used....

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Definitely rebuild the gearcase, because if you have a good spare around it will never fail!

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I've had best luck with Maytag and Whirlpool, Frigidaire is crap. Our current Maytag washer and drier have "made in USA" stickers on the front of them.

Rick W

Supporting Member
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 1987
Make / Model
Ranger XLT x2
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
97 stock, 3” on 87
Total Drop
N/A
Tire Size
235/75-15
My credo
Never put off ‘til tomorrow what you can put off indefinitely
Kenmore. When we buy properties, as the appliances go bad, we always use Kenmore. It’s my understanding there really is no “Kenmore,” they have all their stuff made by Whirlpool, GE, etc., but Kenmore sells 10 times as many machines as anybody else. So, like the old Chevys and the old Fords, the parts are made forever because so many people have them. We also learned only to get the top loaders. The side loaders might be pretty, etc., but when they go out it cost more to fix them then they cost new.

I don’t know where you are, but you may also want to hunt around for a used appliance shop/mom & pop repair guy. We have a guy in Northeast Atlanta with a pretty nice store who services all the stuff for landlords, but he takes the scraps that are halfway decent and reconditions them and sells them for like $150. He also keeps good used parts. And I swear the old ones are more solid than the new ones, and they all wash the clothes just the same!I

My 2cents, Hope it helps

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
A basic Speed Queen set will get you through many years, skip the newer push button electronic crap and the washers with no agitators. The old Maytag stuff from the early 2000's and older, Kenmore, Whirlpool stuff from the 80's through early 2000's all hold up great and completely rebuildable. We used to get old Whirlpool/Kenmore washers and dryers in and go through them and resell them for $500/set. Great machines, easy to work on, parts are cheap, and can be rebuilt over and over again. The Speed Queen stuff is pretty good too and seems to be pretty reliable, just skip all the fancy electronic control panels is a big thing on all brands. My next washer/dryer will be a Speed Queen. You pay more up front but you get a much better machine, and their basic washers don't have the stupid water saver crap where they won't fill all the way, these fill to the top when you have it on the highest setting. The Speed Queen dryers use a higher velocity blower which cuts your drying time down considerably as well. I'd settle for an older Whirlpool/Kenmore set though if you want to save a bit of money. No belts to replace in the washer, and no shift motors, etc. The dryers have a 2 or 4 roller drum with belt and idler, usually less than $25 for a service kit for a Kenmore/Whirlpool dryer. Washer uses a coupler that is easily replaceable and protects the motor if something jams it'll break the coupler and not burn up your motor, and the drain pump is drive off the same motor as the wash/spin motor and is very easily replaceable as well and usually $10 or less for a drain pump. Whirlpool used to build appliances for Sears/Kenmore for decades, then recently maybe about 7-10 years ago Sears broke away from that decades old handshake contract and went with LG and well you can see how that's gone, many issues with LG appliances sadly.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I worked at the whirlpool dryer plant in marion. whirlpool, maytag, amana, roper, kenmore are all the same for the most part. I may have forgot a brand or two. Switches are made in china, the motor in mexico. alot of other foreign sourced parts. The “made in usa” sticker cracks me up. Its assembled in usa, but very little of it made here.
I think those brand names are still all the same if I recall.

GE makes Hotpoint, Frigidaire, Haier, Electrolux, and a couple others I cannot think of.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I've had best luck with Maytag and Whirlpool, Frigidaire is crap. Our current Maytag washer and drier have "made in USA" stickers on the front of them.
Our year old Maytags just say “America” with a flag graphic and “an American company for over 100 years”... in three languages.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals