• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Going to look at an 1989 F-250 - What to look out for?

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
So I've been searching around lately for a full size truck to haul / pull stuff with. I finally found one that I think is worth looking at. It's a 1989 F-250 3/4 ton with the 4.9L (300) straight six and the ZF 5 speed manual tranny. It runs great.

This truck has 350,000 miles on it. The engine was rebuilt at 290,000 miles. The rear end and clutch have also been replaced "recently". The tranny is original but the seller states that it works just fine with no grinding / whining / noise / etc.

What do I need to look out for on these? Anybody know of any specific problems these truck had?

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I had an '89 F250. Loved it. It was a diesel with dual tanks.

The problemns I had were:

It would start and then stall if it had been sitting on flat ground for a long time, or was parked uphill. Park it down hill, and no problems. The fuel was bleeding backj in to the tank because the plastic extension on the pickup tube had broke off. It contained a 1-way valve that keeps the fuel from flowing back in to the tank.

Also, my fuel guage would bounce like crazy, bat that is usually a ground wire. Could also be the sending unit though.

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
Typical rust issues, ( rear wheelwells, front fenders, core supports, cab corners and rockers aroung seat belt area). If its a F250 it has TTB which in an f250 usually the front springs seem to sag an it will then wear front tires. Another common problem is the rear shackles and hangers rusting off. PLus you will still want to check for the normal things on a used car like, leaks, worn out parts and broken things etc.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Just found out it has a full floater 10.25 sterling rear axle with 4.56 gears and L/S!!!! Combine that sweet 300 torque with the granny first gear, 4.56 rear end, and stock size tires and I think I'll have my self a real tow beast. Going to look at it tomorrow....

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Let us know what you find.

1badexplorer

Firefighter
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0, 501, 7.3psd, 351c, 351w
Transmission
Manual
Just found out it has a full floater 10.25 sterling rear axle with 4.56 gears and L/S!!!! Combine that sweet 300 torque with the granny first gear, 4.56 rear end, and stock size tires and I think I'll have my self a real tow beast. Going to look at it tomorrow....
If it has 4.56 gears they were put in being thats not a factory option in that truck.

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Well I didn't buy it. It did have 4.56 gears and the thing was an absolute tank. But the cab was so rusty it was beyond the point of repair - I would have had to swap a different cab onto it. That was a little more work than I was looking for. What irks me is that the seller told me the cab was solid, and only needed a little repair on the rockers. So the search continues....

nccatfan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '89, '99
Make / Model
Ford, Ford, For
Engine Size
Eng. bay currently empty... wanting diesel
Transmission
Manual
Too bad, man. I'm a huge fan of the 300c.i. I-6! Owned a '93 F150 that had it and it was great! In a truck, I'd rather have that than a 302c.i. Anyways, it was a sad day when I sold it to my cousin:sad:, but I found a good deal on an early Powerstroke, so it had to go to make room for bigger and better.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals