• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Going Further - 1986 XL 4x4 Restoration Build

Kenobi77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Focused on the interior today. Got the seat cleaned in anticipation of a seat cover and took the time to insulate the passenger door. Here’s the process:

I cleaned up the inside of the door with a solution of Purple Power. Once this was thorough, I applied butyl rubber over the factory vinyl or whatever it is in there. This REALLY helps cut down on the vibration and following the vinyl is really all that’s needed. 3M has a butyl substitute which is about twice as effective using half the material; had I known about this when I purchased the materials last year, I would have gone with it instead. Terrible picture, but gets the idea across. Ignore the overuse of foil tape to seal the gaps.
IMG_6796.jpeg

After that, I applied Frost King duct insulation—as I put on the cab floor—over a larger area. I then cut 3M Thinsulate SM400L to the same area and applied it with 3M 90 spray adhesive. Works, but is messy. The picture is of the driver’s side for the reason of it being prettier:
IMG_7629.jpeg

Here are the measurements in inches for the individual pieces (left to right):

2 x 18 3/4
16 1/4 x 18 3/4
6 x 18 3/4
7 x 18 3/4

I finished it up by sealing the top with foil tape so water doesn’t have a chance to get behind anything and will run onto the hydrophobic Thinsulate.
IMG_7632.jpeg

This stuff is, honestly, magic. My truck used to read 70-71 decibels at 65mph. After installing the Thinsulate just in the driver’s door, it dropped to 67-68 decibels. Doesn’t sound like much, but remember that the decibel scale is logarithmic. Insulating performance is just as good as the soundproofing, too.

No, I am not paid by 3M, nor anyone else. :)

I sourced the Thinsulate from diyvan.com and will be sourcing from them again to make backings for the door panels.

On another note, the u-joints and other parts finally came in and they will be getting installed in the coming days. Quick question I’ve been meaning to ask: this thing came in a Bucket-O-Parts the previous owner had from the work he did on the truck. I never figured out where this goes even though it’s probably something obvious. Any help?

IMG_7528.jpeg

IMG_7527.jpeg

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Good info on the insulation. I've considered doing the same. Looks like it just moved up the list a little bit.

That look similar to the guard around the high pressure fuel pump. IDK it well enough to say that's what it is... But definitely close.

Kenobi77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Good info on the insulation. I've considered doing the same. Looks like it just moved up the list a little bit.

That look similar to the guard around the high pressure fuel pump. IDK it well enough to say that's what it is... But definitely close.
Nice to hear. Keep in mind, if going off my “guide” at all, that there were a couple additional inches height-wise I could have added. I chose not to so as to not risk obstructing the waterway to the weep holes during application. Once the insulation makes contact with the adhesive, that’s it. Better be happy with where you placed it.

Regarding the mystery bracket: a guard for the fuel filter was my first thought, but that was quickly disproven. Will have to keep looking.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

TexasDuck66
July Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals