• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Going full circle

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
About got the hoist rig figured out best I could, but still need to check it along the way. The lift chain I got first is serious overkill but it will work ok. I took a hook off the come along and put the chain link right into its place.

DSCF4694.JPG

Took the hook off the top also and rigged a grade 8 bolt through it all to allow two full loops on top. It was very tricky putting that puzzle together but it came together in a way all links are equally absorbing the weight. Figuring 500 pounds that's 125 on each end, with the 4 ends creating 2 full loops, leaving one as a backup if anything did go wrong with the other.
DSCF4696.JPG

After getting that puzzle together I wasn't going to take it apart before I'm done with it, so I took the come along apart to take it down. I have seen the inside of one of these swivels before but it was likely on one that had busted, I have a bit more confidence in this one when it's put back together
DSCF4701.JPG

Andrew.V

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 fx4 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
I like your engine lift built one like it 3 ish years ago I got a chain off a old tow truck rapped around the top, my come along has a hook so I just take it off when not in use. it's still sitting in front of my garage have pulled 7 engines with it just tighten the lag bolts before every use. if you check my 4.6 ranger build out you can see it in action

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thank you Andrew. Yes! I like the one you did, it's certainly original, and I appreciate your input here :) Maybe we should start a thread of "A-Frames". I lifted a couple of your shots to get a closer look.
Are your post 8 foot or 10 ? Wish I had thought to get some taller posts on mine. Ten foot would have been better, even trimmed to 9, because the 8 ft are going to put me in a tight spot I'm expecting, but hoping no more than inches. figure I can still get a bit more space by letting air out the front tires if it has to.
You used a leveler on the shot with the truck in front the "A" Frame, is that for alignment purposes? Will I have a problem trying to get by without one? Sorry Andrew but you came along at the right time, I had some questions about that. The engine from the patrol car, were those chained into head bolts there? Will using one bolt there for that make new head gaskets necessary?

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
That’s more of a gantry than a true A-frame, but still more than adequate. I’ve thought about building such a thing more than once, but my problem is always being able to move the vehicles around. When little is level and space is a premium, it gets complicated quickly. I have pulled engines with a backhoe and a skid steer more than a couple times now, but it requires a skilled operator and someone to guide things. Engine hoist, gantry or A-frame is definitely a little easier, especially if it’s hard to get good help.

That tree branch honestly unless it’s compromised somewhere should be more than adequate. I had shot a rope up into a shagbark hickory here and climbed it. Thought the rope was sitting in a crotch but when I got up to the top I found it was actually looped over about an inch thick max branch above the crotch. I had no idea, no real bounce in the system. It’s actually pretty surprising how much weight branches can be capable of taking safety. That said, the gantry is still a good idea.

Never used a come-along for pulling a motor yet. Think it would be frustrating trying to safely work it. Of course, I also split my thumb years ago when a come-along failed so I’m a little skeptical of them. I did get to use a chain fall years ago and that was really pretty nice. Almost as nice is the lever style chain hoists/come alongs. I currently have two of those.

I put some off-road sort of tires on my engine hoist. Still have to throw plywood down and it’s not the easiest, but it works.

An engine leveler can be a hindrance at times and a game changer at times. It can really help with getting the engine and transmission lined up. It can also be too big at times for a smaller engine bay. I haven’t come up with a better idea yet though but I have some ideas.

Andrew.V

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 fx4 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
Hi so just went out and measured mine its 8 feet to the chain the leveler was on the 4.6 to help level it a bit when making the custom mounts fit. didn't go into any head bolts honestly don't remember what I hooked on pullet it out of the vic did it on august 1 2021 and put in the ranger October 6 2021 like lil blue ford said levelers are nice but also aren't nice in small engine bays. for moving the vehicle when pulling the engine i hook up another truck (you can see my 08 with the door open in one of the pics) and just pull it a bit then check and repeat a million time because I don't have anyone to help me except the dog. 2 years ago I did a engine on a 2005 f150 5.4 4x4 with this set up but borrowed a chain hoist for it the come alone would of worked but chain pull gave that little bit more wiggle room have a pic of them both hocked on to the engine gust to clear the oil pan on the donor truck ( looking at the pis i didn't take air out of the front tire probably would of been smart lol) . didn't use a leveler just a chain in the intake valley and some bolts. Don't know how much that will help but hope it does any thing else gust ask .

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks Andrew. I'm hoping to pull the Ranger engine and move it out of the way and see about rebuilding it, pull the Ranger backwards with a come along, then pull the Explorer under the beam and pull that motor, then pull the explorer back out of the way and pull the Ranger under there and set the Explorer motor down in the Ranger. Simple really :D Hoping I can do all that inside of a few days and be able to drive it

Andrew.V

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2008 fx4 1988
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0 5.0
Transmission
Automatic
sounds like a solid plan only things i can advise are do the rear main seal well its out and take the clutch fan off that way its not in the way, also less likely to brake it wish you luck I'm looking forward to seeing it

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Are the Mahle gasket sets any good? I don't think I've used theirs before
AutoZone MIS19316

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Got the transmission ready, my cousins son put a new main shaft in it. Great fella, he works at the Ford shop too. That's the original shifter on it
DSCF4947.JPG

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Are the Mahle gasket sets OK? I don't think I've used these before
Auto Zone MIS19316

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I can only speak to the use of Mahle components used in VW applications.

They were the preferred choice for pistons... and gasket sets when I had my shop. My experience is dated by about 12 years though.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
That's what I used on ghia and bugs too, mahle

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yes, they're a quality company, they've bought out several different companies lately I think...

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks a lot fellas. I was not familiar with them at all. Seems FelPro has been at the front of the shelf for so long, or maybe I just hadn't been paying attention.
This set was made in Viet Nam, who I feel to be diligent in craftsmanship.
I haven't looked at them yet due to breaking the seal boundary

Will be hoping to use these in the near future, if I can find a week of semi-decent weather peeking through

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Some people look down on FelPro anymore too, I've heard their quality is going down like everyone else...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals