• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Going back in.... last time i hope..

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok so I found something today at the junkyard. I found a ranger with a factory e fan on the shroud. Turns out they are used on 02-11 2.3l to help cool when the ac is on. DO YOU GUYS think it's enough cfm to keep a truck cool at idle... mine will see mostly highway, no hills here and will no be hauling heavy loads. The part# on the fan cross-referenced to the same fan in a Taurus....

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Ok so I found something today at the junkyard. I found a ranger with a factory e fan on the shroud. Turns out they are used on 02-11 2.3l to help cool when the ac is on. DO YOU GUYS think it's enough cfm to keep a truck cool at idle... mine will see mostly highway, no hills here and will no be hauling heavy loads. The part# on the fan cross-referenced to the same fan in a Taurus....
I wouldn't count on that being enough to keep it cool. I believe those were used in conjunction with a clutch fan.

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I wouldn't count on that being enough to keep it cool. I believe those were used in conjunction with a clutch fan.
Yes sir you are correct, but it's also the same fan used in a Taurus. So I don't know. Also can't you swap out the motor to get more cfm. I have a fan from a mark 8 as well

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
@Shadowridr1 You confirmed that the Vulcan PCM has pin outs for e-fan?
No sir I haven't, don't even really know how to go about that. If/ when I put it on. I'll probably just wire it in with a relay and toggle.

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well..... she's up and running...I have a mild tic at moderate rpm. I'm hoping it will go away once everything settles in. My oil switch stopped working, so I'll be replacing that AGAIN. And I'm getting a code for VSS. With this thing being a standard, I'm not really sure where it is. Unless it's the ABS sensor thingy on the axle.

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

These are the codes in getting. No cel though

mc17eln

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I finally fixed a bug in the Ford service manual software for wiring diagrams. @Shadowridr1 This is for the cooling fan, in case you don't have it. It's from the relay box, not directly from the PCM. I hope you grabbed that relay from the yard too.

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I finally fixed a bug in the Ford service manual software for wiring diagrams. @Shadowridr1 This is for the cooling fan, in case you don't have it. It's from the relay box, not directly from the PCM. I hope you grabbed that relay from the yard too.

View attachment 68420
Nope.... guess I'll be going back. Have no clue where the relay would be? They engine was gone and 60% of the wiring was cut or missing too

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
And I'm getting a code for VSS. With this thing being a standard, I'm not really sure where it is. Unless it's the ABS sensor thingy on the axle.
According to what RonD was saying in post #82, "VSS" (as known by the PCM) in 2003 vehicles uses the transmission OSS (Output Shaft Speed). (FWIW, I have since viewed a wiring diagram that confirms that my 2004 Ranger works that way too.)

That being the case, you should be able to monitor both "PCM.VSS" and "PCM.OSS" in FORScan. Throw in "ABS.R_DIF_SPD" to monitor what the ABS thinks the speed of the rear wheels (via the differential speed sensor) are. That should easily give you the complete picture as to why you have a VSS-related DTC. Be aware that the P0500 DTC isn't specific enough to tell you if it's a sensor issue or a wiring issue -- be prepared for either (or both!) cases.

Getting briefly up on the soapbox: The fact that you're getting 5 DTCs with nary a CEL is the reason that I emphasize that people should always check codes even when there's no CEL.

Glad to hear you've got the engine running again! Hopefully now with few or no misfires counts, right?

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
According to what RonD was saying in post #82, "VSS" (as known by the PCM) in 2003 vehicles uses the transmission OSS (Output Shaft Speed). (FWIW, I have since viewed a wiring diagram that confirms that my 2004 Ranger works that way too.)

That being the case, you should be able to monitor both "PCM.VSS" and "PCM.OSS" in FORScan. Throw in "ABS.R_DIF_SPD" to monitor what the ABS thinks the speed of the rear wheels (via the differential speed sensor) are. That should easily give you the complete picture as to why you have a VSS-related DTC. Be aware that the P0500 DTC isn't specific enough to tell you if it's a sensor issue or a wiring issue -- be prepared for either (or both!) cases.

Getting briefly up on the soapbox: The fact that you're getting 5 DTCs with nary a CEL is the reason that I emphasize that people should always check codes even when there's no CEL.

Glad to hear you've got the engine running again! Hopefully now with few or no misfires counts, right?
Yes sir I drove it around for about 20min. Total misfire count was 15. I about to change out the oil switch. The fake gauge started bouncing a min ago so it's probably just clogged up. Either case I'll change it out. My only concern is I have a tic when the engine is under load and at around 2k rpm. At idle or just putting around it's not there....
Please give me DTC's that I need to put in on the dashboard. That way I'll know for sure what I'm doing....idk what's REALLY important and what's not, if that makes sense. For some reason I can't run a full key on engine running test. It stops at about 85% does that have anything to do with the p1000 code?

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Btw I did unplug the ABS sensor and it generated a fault. Plugged it back in and cleared code. So I'm going to do what you suggested for the vss as well

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes sir I drove it around for about 20min. Total misfire count was 15.
Excellent! That's a huge improvement from earlier!
Please give me DTC's that I need to put in on the dashboard. That way I'll know for sure what I'm doing....idk what's REALLY important and what's not, if that makes sense.
Try not to confuse DTCs (Diagnostic Trouble Codes) with PIDs (Parameter IDs). DTCs are "problems". PIDs are the things you monitor -- sensor values, etc -- when diagnosing. (I frequently say "DTC" when I mean "PID" and vice-versa, so don't feel bad!)

It can be helpful to unplug sensors and check for DTCs, but that's not what I was suggesting in my previous post. And (back on my soapbox, forgive me) when you "reset codes" you will also reset the vehicle monitors' completion status (causing the P1000 DTC again and again, until you drive the vehicle enough to re-run all the "monitor" tests) and you will blow away the PCM's "freeze frame" data. So try to keep "code resets" to a minimum, when possible. (Off soapbox now. :))

Having said that, those 3 bold names in my previous post are the names of the PIDs that I think you should monitor at some point. Sorry for not being clearer about that. Basically, when you drive around, have someone watch those values to see how they react to your vehicle's speed. Practice monitoring those PIDs while sitting still first -- it will help, I suspect.

I don't know how FORScan Lite (for Android) shows the list of supported PIDs compared to FORScan for Windows, but I suspect that they both use the same PID names. If you're confused, don't hesitate to ask some questions and I'll try to clarify.
For some reason I can't run a full key on engine running test. It stops at about 85% does that have anything to do with the p1000 code?
I don't know. It might. I wouldn't worry too much about that just yet.

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The misfire is back...FML..... here's the forscan video of just now. Check the long and short term fuel trims..... ONLY THING different from now to earlier is I drove it to the gas station and filled it up AND changed the oil switch....I so fucking frustrated 😡, pardon my language.......🤦‍♂️ btw NM is total misfires

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The misfire is back...
Well... damn!

I only took a cursory look at the video, but it seems like something is clearly wrong with bank #2. The STFT on that bank seems to be going a bit crazy (presumably causing LTFT to go crazy too).

I wonder how your O2 sensors are performing?

If it were me, I'd set up a FORScan or Torque Pro screen and just monitor the upstream O2 sensors' voltage. Under FORScan, that should be PID names "PCM.O2S11_V" and "PCM.O2S21_V" (or something close to that). You don't want to be monitoring a bunch of other PIDs simultaneously when you monitor O2 sensor voltages.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals