• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Going back in.... last time i hope..

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Couple of ice cubes and its a nice glass of iced tea :)

Yes, that's pretty old gas, leave it overnight, see if any water shows up at the bottom

If you added gas with ethanol(regular) or a gas treatment it will bond with the water so separation takes longer and gas part will still be cloudy instead of transparent

Aging gas seen here: https://thedirtbikereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/What-is-the-original-color-of-gas.jpg
As it gets older it looks more like apple cider but is still slightly transparent
Yours is cloudy so most likely has water mixed in, or ??

Most people have never seen gasoline in a clear glass, when you fill up the gas can and bring it home, put some in a glass just to see what it looks like

All Gasoline does have color added by manufacturer, its actually fairly clear, colorless, after its made/refined
Regular gas tends to be greenish/blue
Mid-octane yellowish
Premium pinkish

But, like coolant, there is NO color standard for gasoline, but regardless of color "fresh" gasoline will be transparent

Last edited:

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Couple of ice cubes and its a nice glass of iced tea :)

Yes, that pretty old gas, leave it overnight, see if any water shows up at the bottom

If you added gas with ethanol(regular) or a gas treatment it will bond with the water so separation takes longer and gas part will still be cloudy instead of transparent

Aging gas seen here: https://thedirtbikereview.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/12/What-is-the-original-color-of-gas.jpg
As it gets older it looks more like apple cider but is still slightly transparent
Yours is cloudy so most likely has water mixed in, or ??

Most people have never seen gasoline in a clear glass, when you fill up the gas can and bring it home, put some in a glass just to see what it looks like
Hard Arnold Palmar iced tea.....
So this is after 4 hrs of sitting. Got this from 3 or 4 cycles of the key directly into the jar. Pretty sure I need to drop the tank, clean it and replace the pump

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The gasoline doesn't look to bad, I would just drain the tank and put drained gas in a container for a few days and siphon off the top part and dump the water part

I don't think you need to change the pump, just drain all the gas out with siphon hose down filler
Then the remaining part by fuel pump
Then dump gallon of fresh gas in the tank and drain that out by fuel pump as well, should start coming out clear after that

Ranger fuel pumps are rated at about 45 gallons an hour so doesn't take that long to drain a 20gallon tank if full, just battery juice, lol

I don't see "debris" in there, just water, or ??, so the sock filter in the tank should be OK

Last edited:

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ok so I needed to take the bed off to drain the tank. I opted to purchase a new fuel pump since I'm there. Kinda hoping to get the gas leak fixed as well. I'm not sure what it is a I've already replaced the filler hose. There's also a broken plastic fitting going to the evap canister that I need to replace. This leads me to a question. Just what are these two sensors??

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just what are these two sensors?? View attachment 68376
The sensor on the left looks like the FTP (Fuel Tank Pressure) sensor.

The sensor on the right is the rear axle's speed sensor (allowing the ABS module to know and report the speed of the rear wheels).

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The sensor on the left looks like the FTP (Fuel Tank Pressure) sensor.

The sensor on the right is the rear axle's speed sensor (allowing the ABS module to know and report the speed of the rear wheels).
So would the ABS sensor effect my speedometer. It reads about 15mph slower than actual vehicle speed

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, rear axle VSS wouldn't effect speedometer in 2003 Ranger
ABS is a separate system

In 1998-2000 Rangers rear axle ABS VSS was used with GEM for speedometer, but only those years

2003 uses an OSS(output shaft speed) sensor for speedometer, manual or automatic, its at the rear driver's side of trans just before tail shaft housing, 2 wire sensor
Tire size and rear axle ratio effects speedometer/odometer, larger diameter tires shows slower speed than actual, also less miles traveled on odo

It can be re-calibrated using Forscan software, or you can pay Ford dealer to do it

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So would the ABS sensor effect my speedometer. It reads about 15mph slower than actual vehicle speed
There's been some disagreement about this in various threads. Some have said that the rear axle speed sensor provides the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor) signal but I'm not sure if that's always the case. I think that the value reported by the PCM as "VSS" can also be "synthesized" from a transmission shaft speed signal (and, in the case of 4WD, the '4x4 LO' signal). I suspect that the speedometer is driven by the same signal that the PCM reports as "VSS", but (A) I'm not certain of that and (B) there are enough differences in the various Rangers / Mazdas, based on things like Model Year, 2WD versus 4WD, manual versus automatic transmission, that I'm unwilling to say things with too much authority.

Being me, I'd use FORScan and compare the VSS output to the ABS report of rear axle speed. That's the fastest and easiest way. And of course, compare both to my (human-read :)) speedometer.

EDIT: Looks like RonD beat me to it and with a more-definitive answer. :)

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well at this point I'm just waiting on the new fuel pump to get here tomorrow. Ron you are probably right, itmore than likely don't need it because it has been replaced. It a Chinese pump. Idk which one, but I'm putting in a Spectra... didn't have the funds for a $350 oem motorcraft one. Also found one of the small fittings on top of the pump broke, so going to the junkyard in the morning to see if I can find a replacement. Otherwise, new injectors are in, new plugs are in, fuel pressure tester is in, new fuel filter is in, gas tank is drained, had about an 1" of water throughout the bottom, oil is changed, which ran gas/water out of the drain plug for about 5 secs before any oil came out🤦‍♂️, working on fitting the efan to the shroud and getting it ready to wire it up, gonna make sure everything is right first

Orca

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm putting in a Spectra... didn't have the funds for a $350 oem motorcraft one.
I hear ya! I put in a "Spectra Premium SP2007M" fuel pump ($118) in my 2004 Ranger about 6 years ago and, although I don't drive the Ranger much, I've had no problems since then.(y)

Glad to hear you're making progress! (y)(y)(y)

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I hear ya! I put in a "Spectra Premium SP2007M" fuel pump ($118) in my 2004 Ranger about 6 years ago and, although I don't drive the Ranger much, I've had no problems since then.(y)

Glad to hear you're making progress! (y)(y)(y)
LOL...No progress yet, when she starts and idle CORRECTLY then it will be progress, right now it just a parts catcher

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
15 mph??? That's alot. I swapped my rear from a 3.73 to a 4.10 & went from 14" to 16" wheels & mine is only off by 5 & its higher.

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
15 mph??? That's alot. I swapped my rear from a 3.73 to a 4.10 & went from 14" to 16" wheels & mine is only off by 5 & its higher.
Yes sir it is. I have clocked it with both GPS and my other vehicle, so I'm certain of it being off. I just recently did a gauge swap to white face gauges and swapped over the odometer. When I reconnected the cluster and cycled the key my speedo went to 18mph and stays instead of dropping back to zero. I've considered pulling the needle again and placing it at zero, but I gotta get it back in the road first.

O No 3.0!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger xl 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
Yes sir it is. I have clocked it with both GPS and my other vehicle, so I'm certain of it being off. I just recently did a gauge swap to white face gauges and swapped over the odometer. When I reconnected the cluster and cycled the key my speedo went to 18mph and stays instead of dropping back to zero. I've considered pulling the needle again and placing it at zero, but I gotta get it back in the road first.
I swapped my gauges out to white face out of a sport trac. Mine never jumped or anything. It just acted the same as it always does. Sounds strange.

Shadowridr1

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda b3000
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Yeah, I'm curious if someone didn't already get in there and screw it up. I don't want to mess with it though until I'm back up and running

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals