• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

GM's new mid size Colorado/Canyon

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
Polish a turd it is still a Chevy. Just saying.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Polish a turd it is still a Chevy. Just saying.
yep, pretty much.

My dad told me earlier this week that he saw something on TV that Ford is bringing back the Ranger because all of the other manufacturer's still have their small truck line. They basically admitted it was a mistake to do away with the small truck portion. I have not heard anything, and I figure it would be mentioned here at least, but who knows.

AJ

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yep, pretty much.

My dad told me earlier this week that he saw something on TV that Ford is bringing back the Ranger because all of the other manufacturer's still have their small truck line. They basically admitted it was a mistake to do away with the small truck portion. I have not heard anything, and I figure it would be mentioned here at least, but who knows.

AJ
I haven't heard anything about it aside from rumblings on here of people wanting it to happen. My guess is they are going to let GM sink or swim with this truck and see if it is worth it.

The "compact/midsize" market is a fraction of what it was a couple years ago, aside from being slightly physically smaller than a fullsize and looking goofy I don't see what the advantage of the GM truck over a fullsize. It isn't going to be much cheaper or smaller... which is mainly why people liked the smaller trucks to begin with. It is going to compete with their Silverado just as much if not more than it will with the Tacoma...

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
The auto market forgot what a compact pickup is. There really isn't a compact pickup on the market anymore, well unless you buy a regular cab 2WD Toyota Tacoma or Nissan Frontier. Other than that they have strayed away from the "compact" in compact truck. The GM Canyon/Colorado now have option V8's, the Dodge Dakota has a V8. The idea behind the compact truck was a vehicle to haul/tow that was small enough to go where a full size couldn't go, but yet be an economical vehicle at the same time. Even the Rangers from the 90's on weren't really economical, engine sizes kept increasing, people kept thinking they needed every option under the sun in them, and pretty soon you were paying the same price for that little Ford Ranger as you were for a Ford F-150.

If Ford would just do away with the electronic engine controls and transmission controls they would have a good truck. Well any manufacturer that would go back to the basics would have a good selling truck, but heaven forbid people had to roll their windows down manually, had to actually get off their ass and service their vehicle instead of the vehicle saying hey idiot change the oil. Its pathetic how lazy this country has become. Maybe I'm old school, but I still like my Bronco 2, with manual everything and not even a stereo.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I don't mind some frills and EFI vs carb is not close to a fair comparison. EFI all the way in a dd.

My Ranger has a radio and that is about it... for its size and configuration it is fine. With the opening back window I can get a ton of air moving through the cab at speed and it is pretty easy to roll down the opposite window or unlock the opposite door.

However our F-250 service truck at work gets constant gripes because it is a mile and a half wide and a major PITA to roll down the opposite side window or unlock the door.

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Well, I think if they brought back the Ranger, I think it would be a good seller, I'm sure plenty of people would love to have a new light duty truck.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Well, I think if they brought back the Ranger, I think it would be a good seller, I'm sure plenty of people would love to have a new light duty truck.
I fully agree... if unlike the last US Ranger it didn't closely compete with the F-150 for both fuel economy and price.

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
I fully agree... if unlike the last US Ranger it didn't closely compete with the F-150 for both fuel economy and price.
Maybe, maybe not...its like comparing apples to lemons, but I got a kick out of this poll.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/04/22/new-f-150-and-gm-midsize-pickups-set-to-face-off-in-2014/?intcmp=features

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Maybe, maybe not...its like comparing apples to lemons, but I got a kick out of this poll.

http://www.foxnews.com/leisure/2013/04/22/new-f-150-and-gm-midsize-pickups-set-to-face-off-in-2014/?intcmp=features
Lol, one thing I will say is that I think it cool when I was little too see these futurstic concept cars and trucks thinking were never getting to something like that, but yet we are, the Atlas looks pretty cool to be honest. And also is it just me or does the back end of the GM look jacked up really high?

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
I didn’t read all of the posts but this looks a lot like the Globe Ranger; take a car and make it into a truck, at least what is being called a truck.

Some how the Truck Industry got the wrong idea of what the little truck owners want.
To me, we want a TRUCK, smaller size, solid axles and good engine, why are they going this route ?!

Sorry GM. you missed the whole idea of a truck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals