• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Global Ranger revisited - again

MastuhWaffles

11/2014 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
My credo
I need more sleep.
Sooner or later its going to be at a point where you wont be able to afford gas in a fullsize, and with cities growing more and more the smaller trucks will be more popular.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
It's not about what the consumer wants. It's about what makes money, and what makes that money faster/better.
LOL. What the consumer wants is what makes money. Ford imported a Mazda pickup and called it a Courier until they could start producing Rangers in response to the popularity of the Toyota & Datsun pickups.

It's only a matter of time......

Oh, we'll eventually see a 30 mpg small pickup here in the US.

Last edited:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
No, what the consumer BUYS in high quantities is what makes money.

Ford doesn't think they would sell enough to be worth it. Again, this is obvious because they aren't doing it! How can you seriously sit there and try and argue that FACT.

Would they make money? Sure. Would they make ENOUGH money? Probably not. Which is why it's not happening. It's pretty simple. Maybe you guys need to take a business course or something.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Hey man, it's ok. If you think Ford won't eventually bring back a downsized pickup, that's your thing. They're probably just running around the U.S. in the global Ranger to give input to the factories overseas that make them.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It's not just people on the internet, it's like my dad, he can't really afford to drive an F-150 back and forth to work everyday, so he drives and eclipse, and he really wants a truck that can get at least 30mpg, and he's already looking at the new colorado. And lets say the colorado sells amazing, why would people need to buy an F-150, when they can get a truck almost equivalent size but with more mpg. Gas prices are going to continue to get more and more expensive. It would be suicide not to compete!
How does it work out that a truck almost the same size as another gets half again better milage?

I kinda wonder if they are not letting GM play guinea pig on this one.

My big beef is Ford cramming everything european down out throats at the moment because despite Ford being an American company located in America everything has to be "Global" now.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not to add to the ranger battle but I will argue the diesel part. 30 mpg is possible, the older 12 valve cummins 2x4 got 22+. The newer ones get 18-20. Also I know someone who has a Ford diesel 2x4 which takes the blue pee and it cost $15 every 1500 miles while getting 18 mpg. If the Colorado is a small engine diesel 30 mpg is completely achievable.

As for maintenance that people keep talking about the over all cost is comparable to gas engines. Instead of plugs, wires, and other wear items you get an injector pump that wears out at around 200,000 miles and an engine rebuild at 300,000 miles.

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
One thing I forgot to add was the huge difference in power between gas and diesel. There is no comparison between the two.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Not to add to the ranger battle but I will argue the diesel part. 30 mpg is possible, the older 12 valve cummins 2x4 got 22+. The newer ones get 18-20. Also I know someone who has a Ford diesel 2x4 which takes the blue pee and it cost $15 every 1500 miles while getting 18 mpg. If the Colorado is a small engine diesel 30 mpg is completely achievable.

As for maintenance that people keep talking about the over all cost is comparable to gas engines. Instead of plugs, wires, and other wear items you get an injector pump that wears out at around 200,000 miles and an engine rebuild at 300,000 miles.
A set of plugs every 100k is pretty cheap anymore vs a pump rebuild... if only diesels today only had a pump that went bad. Emissions crap has taken a lot of the wind out the "reliablity" sails.

IMO diesels are going downhill trying to keep the EPA happy while gas burners keep getting more and more perfected.

One thing I forgot to add was the huge difference in power between gas and diesel. There is no comparison between the two.
Either give the gasser some boost and DI or take it away from the diesel and the field gets a lot more even.

WTF

U.S. Military - Active
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'06
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Life is too short for cheap beer.
This is just a smart business move by Ford. Less models designed and produced globally means more money.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This is just a smart business move by Ford. Less models designed and produced globally means more money.
Only if people in drastically different demographics are interested in them. IMO it is stupid to assume that something will be popular in North America just because it is popular in Europe.

Last edited:

kryptonitecb

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Only if people in drastically different demographics are interested in them. IMO it is stupid to assume that something will be popular in North America just because it is popular in Europe.
They aren't, look at smart cars. While they have increased sales and shown an interest in NA they aren't nearly as popular as they are in other countries.

And agreed on the epa coming down on diesels. Most of the emissions systems being forced on them is due to bad pr by "coal burners" and not true science. While it is highly illegal, many people are reporting large power and mpg gains when the emission systems are removed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I547 using Tapatalk

1340flh

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I would take the new designed ranger if they build it over the 2015 designs of the Dodge Ram 1500 and the Dodge Dakota.

2015 Ford Ranger

2015 Dodge Ram 1500

2015 Dodge Dakota
The Ranger pic is not bad in that variation but I see alot of Toyota in that truck.
As for the 2 Dodges,Ugly as home made soap,Been better off they just build a El Camino?-Here me Chevy?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I forgot I already has a post going here. :blush:

I wasn't picking on the engine as much as the truck. The global Ranger isn't that much smaller than a F-150. If one can get 30mpg the other shouldn't be very far behind.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
I sent an email to Ford in regards to the Ford Ranger coming back and here was the response.

Hello Bill,

My name is Kim and I am from the Ford Customer Relationship Center. I received your email regarding your inquiry about the Ford Ranger.

I appreciate your interest in our line of vehicles. I understand that you want to know when the Ford Ranger will be made available in US.

The Twin Cities Assembly plant, which produced the Ford Ranger compact pickup truck for sale in the U.S., ceased operations on December 19, 2011 following a long and storied history. Ford Motor Company is working closely with the city of St. Paul, Minnesota to return the property to productive use as quickly as possible.

In addition, vehicle models are sometimes discontinued due to factors such as market trends, customer demands, engineering advances, and dealership input. Ford Motor Company appreciates hearing from our customers, especially when customers provide us with valuable ideas, insight and feedback on our products and services. Information of this nature is collected and used in decision making processes by all departments of Ford.

We have forwarded your suggestions to our Engineering and Design Team for future consideration. You will only be contacted if a specific department requires additional information from you.

Furthermore, to share general ideas with Ford Motor Company on how we can enhance our products and services, please visit http://social.ford.com. Here consumers can voice their opinions on what they would like to see in their next vehicle, such as additional security features, more convenience items, and so on.

Ford Social is also a place where you can share your experiences on owning a Ford or Lincoln product, get the latest updates on what is happening within the company or catch up on exciting technologies and concepts being explored by Ford. You can also post questions for our engineers, designers, and CEO.

Thank you for contacting Ford Motor Company.

Kim
Customer Relationship Center
Ford Motor Company

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals