• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

gibson, magnaflow, or ?

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
used to work in an exhaust shop. From first hand experience, Flowmaster drone can be obnoxious. Flowmaster IS loud, it is one of the main reasons that people go Flowmaster. People also go to flowmaster for the name, assuming they are the masters of flow... their mufflers are quite the contrary. They also rot at the spot of the welds of the baffles (from inside out).

At the moment, I'm running a Dynomax Ultraflo system on my truck. Quiet on the inside, not obnoxious on the outside. The only other muffler that can flow comparatively to it is a glasspack.

I love it, it always turns heads. It sounds good for a v6 too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9w1S5xrUBE

Use good headphones if you don't have good speakers. Something isn't right at first with this guy's truck, something sounds loose. However, it isn't that way throughout the rest of the video. Also keep in mind that this is the OHV engine. The SOHC sounds even better. Plus, lifetime warranty on the system.
I never had or any of my buddies ever had a Flowmaster rot. Flowmaster exhaust wins at 83% of Dyno tests as well. They give better power and performance over most other makes as well. Dyno runs have proved it for years with the performance crowds and racers.

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I never had or any of my buddies ever had a Flowmaster rot. Flowmaster exhaust wins at 83% of Dyno tests as well. They give better power and performance over most other makes as well. Dyno runs have proved it for years with the performance crowds and racers.
You go ahead and keep believing that. I guarantee you swap the flowmaster out on the car that "won" the dyno test and put an Ultraflo or race bullet on there, it will put out higher numbers than any flowmaster did.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
You go ahead and keep believing that. I guarantee you swap the flowmaster out on the car that "won" the dyno test and put an Ultraflo or race bullet on there, it will put out higher numbers than any flowmaster did.
Nobody hear will run this crap Ultraflo....you keep dreaming, Pal..... Tell that to guys who run 600-800 hp street legal cars in in Florida and drag race with Flowmaster....they will will laugh at you and all you buddies who run this Ultraflo that sounds like a diper commercial......lol

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Nobody hear will run this crap Ultraflo....you keep dreaming, Pal..... Tell that to guys who run 600-800 hp street legal cars in in Florida and drag race with Flowmaster....they will will laugh at you and all you buddies who run this Ultraflo that sounds like a diper commercial......lol

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:
Magnaflow vs Flowmaster dyno run:

Dynomax flows better than Magnaflow.

There was even a dyno competition in Car Craft... the cars with highest performance numbers... Dynomax exhausts: http://www.carcraft.com/eventcoverage/ccrp_0803_dynomax_power_tour/viewall.html

Last edited:

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
. Flowmaster exhaust wins at 83% of Dyno tests as well. They give better power and performance over most other makes as well. Dyno runs have proved it for years with the performance crowds and racers.
That is close to true for a single chamber race Flowmaster but could not be farther from the truth for a street Flowmaster. They are power robbers for any high powered engine. On my race car the dyno results comparing no silencer to a single chamber race Flowmaster shows a little better top end horsepower with the open exhaust but a little better mid range torque with the single chamber race Flowmaster.
I don't think Flowmaster even offers the single chamber race muffler anymore. They are still fairly loud but gets the decibels to a level that some tracks like Laguna Seca require.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
That is close to true for a single chamber race Flowmaster but could not be farther from the truth for a street Flowmaster. They are power robbers for any high powered engine. On my race car the dyno results comparing no silencer to a single chamber race Flowmaster shows a little better top end horsepower with the open exhaust but a little better mid range torque with the single chamber race Flowmaster.
I don't think Flowmaster even offers the single chamber race muffler anymore. They are still fairly loud but gets the decibels to a level that some tracks like Laguna Seca require.
Ahhhh, Laguna Seca...I raced there many times in vintage class...cars and bikes. Monterey Bay.....that place was so beautiful.
Some exhaust are too loud and some are just perfect as you stated. I chose Bolero on my late model Corvettes for a few years and then switched to Flowmaster. I used Dynomax as well before. Nothing wrong with them. My 67 and 72 big block 'Vettes had Thrush exhaust and Dynomax as well and when I swapped to Flowmaster we dynoyed with the Flowmasters and everybody said this exhaust gave the best hp increase over several other exhaust we dynoed on. Everyone (including some car mags) that did a dyno run with Flowmaster with and with out a set of headers has said the same thing to me. Dynomax is a great exhaust system as well. Dynomax came in second on the dyno testing by a thin margin and it was not really much of a difference, but people were wondering which could give the most hp.
Now, the last time I bought a Flowmaster was when I put the Flowmaster 40 series on my 99 Ranger a few years back. I love it and I love the low rumble it puts out. Not too loud and not too silent....just right. I have never had a Flowmaster that ever rusted out on me or any of my budies that uses them have ever had this problem and they all really like the exhaust systems. Maybe some cars that are injected or carbed will run different with a different system. But I used Flowmaster on both types of motors and really enjoyed the performance.

Gotta_gofast

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
6.0L Powerstroke
Transmission
Automatic
In general, any muffler with straight through core (and usually uses stainless fibers or fiberglass packing to reduce sound) will cause less restriction than a chambered muffler. Flowmaster "40" mufflers (and other similar baffled mufflers) will always loose this battle because of how many times it makes the fluid change direction. Within the chamber, it creates high pressure spots in front of baffles and low pressure cavities behind the baffles. This creates a lot of turbulance and also robs power. After all, you wouldn't take a straight exhaust pipe and add a Y pipe to split the flow, then converge it with another Y pipe, then add a 90 degree bend, another 90 degree bend, split it into two pipes again.... this is what is happening in a chambered muffler.

Some will argue that the exhaust needs backpressure to aid in low end torque. This myth also annoys me. It is exhaust velocity that aids in scavenging (or pulling) out exhaust gases when the exhaust valve is open. Purposely causing resistance to the flow will just allow more spent fumes and stale oxygenless air to remain in the cylinder.

Lastly, all this theory is taken seriously on a purpose built engines to extract maximum possible variables such as fastest time down or around a track or farthest pulled or dyno hero. On a ranger however, if I blindfolded you and clasped some ear muffs on your head and sat you in the passenger seat I doubt you would be able to tell the difference in acceleration between any aftermarket muffler.

Last edited:

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I have a Gibson on my Sport Trac. Makes a V6 sound as good as it ever will and easy to install.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, you have a 2.3 :thefinger: You probably also had it installed with the stock tailpipe just like the 40 you didn't like, huh?
No, Actually the one I had was a 2535 or 2530, so It dumped in front of the rear tire.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals