• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

gibson, magnaflow, or ?

bblatch69

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I was looking into cat back set ups for my b4000 with the 4.0 sohc, just wondering if anyone could give me some input on what brand would be the best? i want something that sounds good and deep outside, but quiet in the cab. thanks! :icon_thumby:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Flowmaster and Magnaflow are the only exhaust I have ever used on my trucks and Jeeps. Both are the best.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I like my heartthrob exhaust. I think it sounds nice and its not loud in the cab but you still get the rumble.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The Gibson Single Side Swept catback will give an exhaust note without being loud inside or outside. I have never had Magnaflow or Flowmaster on a Ranger but I have and had both on another vehicle and both drone inside. Magnaflow is not as bad as Flowmaster.

Rose2300

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
flowmasters do drone slightly in the cab, but they still sound pretty good. it also depends where it's dumped. an exhaust dumped under the cab will drone more than a side exit or stock exit placement

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Love my Gibson. Loud enough that it's obviously not stock but not loud enough to annoy you inside the cab. I just got the aluminized one because I couldn't afford the stainless and it's almost 10 years old now. Fit like a glove too, removed the stocker and installed the Gibson on my 1/2 hour lunch break with no problems.

bilzy7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I was always thinking of Gibson but never hears much on it. Sounds like my kind of exhaust cause like you said it sounds good, but not obnoxiously loud.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Aero Turbine.

03ranger30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Flowmaster sounds excellent

kemo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
used to work in an exhaust shop. From first hand experience, Flowmaster drone can be obnoxious. Flowmaster IS loud, it is one of the main reasons that people go Flowmaster. People also go to flowmaster for the name, assuming they are the masters of flow... their mufflers are quite the contrary. They also rot at the spot of the welds of the baffles (from inside out).

At the moment, I'm running a Dynomax Ultraflo system on my truck. Quiet on the inside, not obnoxious on the outside. The only other muffler that can flow comparatively to it is a glasspack.

I love it, it always turns heads. It sounds good for a v6 too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9w1S5xrUBE

Use good headphones if you don't have good speakers. Something isn't right at first with this guy's truck, something sounds loose. However, it isn't that way throughout the rest of the video. Also keep in mind that this is the OHV engine. The SOHC sounds even better. Plus, lifetime warranty on the system.

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Dude I tried one of those and it sounded like crap haha
Well, you have a 2.3 :thefinger: You probably also had it installed with the stock tailpipe just like the 40 you didn't like, huh?

I've only heard one on one 4cyl, a 22re, and it sounded pretty good, much better than the 40 series it replaced. Me and several of my friends have used them to replace 40 series on various engines, 22re, 2.9, 4.0, jeep 4.0, and my 5.2 Dakota before the turbo and we've all loved the results. I don't like glasspack type mufflers either such as Magnaflow or Dynomax. I don't plan on buying anything other than Aero Turbines or Hooker AeroChambers.

Aero Turbines are also 100% stainless with no packing to ever burn out.

This is forum member Grunizzle's 4.0 Ranger that we installed an Aero Turbine on.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BdayUbIyEfg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSA2zZvDvSk

Last edited:

Funnyman141

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87, 94
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
I have a Power Stick found here, clicky! sounded pretty good with some pretty good exhaust leaks at the manifolds and y-pipe, basically like a glass pack without the glass to blow out.

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
I have a gibson on my '92 4.0l and love it. My dad has also had a gibson on his '97 F-150 for about 10 years now, sounds great.

I had a heartthrob on my Ranger and it rotted off in about a year and a half.

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Love my Gibson. Loud enough that it's obviously not stock but not loud enough to annoy you inside the cab. I just got the aluminized one because I couldn't afford the stainless and it's almost 10 years old now. Fit like a glove too, removed the stocker and installed the Gibson on my 1/2 hour lunch break with no problems.
I have a Gibson SG and a Les Paul...they sound great but not as an exhaust.....lol

:icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals