• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

getting started

acidh3r3t1c

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 stang 5.0 ranger 2.3 ranger
Transmission
Manual
right now im slowly collecting stuff to do my v8 swap on my ranger its an 88 ranger with the 2.9L in it and ive got a 5 speed out of an f250 and a t case out of a bronco which all work together and im just not sure what year of 302 i want and out of what vehicle i just was wonder what my best bet would be for an engine wiring wise and compatibly/clearence wise

Pt_Ranger_V8

FullsizeFreakin'
U.S. Military - Active
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
19 something
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
what are you looking to do with the truck? Is it already lif\ted? Do you have emissions testing where you're at?

I would highly recommend any 302 out of a mustang that is FI.

wiring is not hard, just get the complete harness when you pull the donor engine :icon_thumby:

acidh3r3t1c

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 stang 5.0 ranger 2.3 ranger
Transmission
Manual
i want it to be a fairly good off road truck and its going to get a 3inch body lift before the swap then a suspension lift after the swap depending on the funds and in the dsm iowa i dont have any emissions testing and how good do the engines out of the crown vics and the marquis and the lincoln town cars go for performance and fit

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
At the least, get a 5.0 from a 94-97 E or F150. Explorer motors are good, as well as the Mountaineer 5.0. Also the 88-up T-Bird/Cougar, Lincoln Mark VII LSC, and the Mustang 5.0's from 87-95. The full size Ford, Merc and Lincoln had a roller 5.0 from 87-91 but it's what Ford called the "Base" 5.0 rated at about 150 hp. It's a good start for a rebuild with aftermarket heads though due to the roller block and hardware, otherwise the cam is the smallest roller and the heads suck.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals