• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Getting ready to get new tires (sizes?)

Chris88GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Alright, like the title says, I am wanting to pull the trigger on a set of new tires. The factory size tires that were on the B2 were so bald when I bought it, that I had to put a spare set of Mustang wheels and tires on there (Looks awful IMO). I can't really complain too much about a $400 B2 in great condition though. I plan on running the factory wheels (15x7 I believe), currently I have no body or suspension lift, and no fender trimming as well. I am piecing together my parts for a 4x4 swap and will be doing a lift with coil spacers and Explorer springs and/or shackles.

What will fit with no rubbing now? I'm pretty confident that a 30x9.50 R15 will fit now without any rubbing. I would like to go with 31x10.5 r 15 but I am thinking I will have issues now. I suppose I could do some fender trimming now to make them work until I go 4x4/lifted.

As far as tires go, I am looking at Firestone Destination M/T and BFG Mud Terrain KM2. Anyone have experience with these? Something else comparable I should look at?

Just wanted some of y'all's opinions before I make my first big investment on the Bronco. I am new to the 4x4 world, always been a Mustang guy.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Should be able to get 31's on a stock 15x7 wheel. Maybe minor trimming.

I'm asuming this if for the 89 listed in your profile

04sd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'90 / '84
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 / 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
I think the 30x9.50 is the biggest you can go without rubbing. 31's may or may not rub depending on the tire.

Chris88GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Yes, this is for the 89 in my profile:icon_thumby:

crawlin91

OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Manual
trimming the fenders is way to easy no to go with the bigger size tire. My body was near perfect when I trimmed mine. A damn shame but I love it.

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
31 inch tires on stock 15x6 wheels (bronco 2's have 15x6 checked my door) will rub at full lock on the front sway bar and the radius arm....

kinda sucks cause the b2 always had such an awesome turning radius now its kinda half ass :(

Chris88GT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Okay, still on the subject of fitting the biggest tires I can...

I was going through our scrap metal bins here at work and found some factory Jeep TJ (2002 I think) coils and shocks. They were on a former co-workers ride before he put a lift on it. I was hoping this would accomplish the same thing as F150 coil springs.

Would these work for the front to get that little bit of extra clearance for those 31x10.50 tires? Hopefully then I won't have to do any fender trimming. If not no big deal; however I'm all for free/cheap mods. Thanks.

TheOne

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i body lift would be the cheapest id think to fit on 31 inch tires...i had to trim the front fender to get the tires to clear but they fit really well....i just have explorer springs all the way around

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
I have an 88 BII, I was running 31x10.50 wildcat EXTs with little rubbing only when at full turn, or stump jumping... I had to install a 2" bodylift to stop the offroad rub, spacers will stop the turning rub, but its not that bad so i just let it be.

Onroad they work fine.(with no lift)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals