• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Geocaching

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
I think this is the right forum to put this in.

I picked up a new hobby over the last summer called geocaching. People hide caches, put the coordinates on the website and other people go find them. I have 21 within a 5 mile radius of my office. This is not local to me. It is world wide. I plan caching while I am away on my honeymoon later this year. I may go find a few while I am on lunch tomorrow. :icon_thumby:

Am I the only one that does this? :icon_confused:

www.geocaching.com

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I ran across one quite by accident while camping a few years ago. It was neat to read and see the stuff. It wasn't much, just a note and a child's toy.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk

wawawarrior

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Did this a couple times in Idaho and actually ran into some other people going to the same one as us. I only found out about this recently but apparently it's not a new thing. You can get an app for it too.

This one was in a film canister... Just a rolled up paper and a couple small items.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

1996xlt

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've been doing it off/on for a few years and even got my wife into it, its not a bad hobby to have and pretty easy to pick-up.

Between my wife and I think we've done about 70-80 caches so far, each time we go out of town we check out the website to see which ones we can knock out.

Hagan

08/2013 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I tried it once. My girlfriend made it sound fun and exciting to try. I figured what the hell right? I drove 3 miles from my house to look for something next to a river. I wore shirts. Didn't find anything but garbage so we gave up. Later on I started itching like crazy and realized I got poison ivy/oak on my legs.

I'll never be doing that again.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
I ran across one quite by accident while camping a few years ago. It was neat to read and see the stuff. It wasn't much, just a note and a child's toy.

Sent from my XT1032 using Tapatalk
If you like be outside, I recommend it.

Did this a couple times in Idaho and actually ran into some other people going to the same one as us. I only found out about this recently but apparently it's not a new thing. You can get an app for it too.

This one was in a film canister... Just a rolled up paper and a couple small items.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
I am actually going to caching on my trip next week, Disney World. There are 3 inside the parks; Animal Kingdom, Magic Kingdom and Studios. :yahoo: I have 2 apps that I use, the actual Geocaching.com app and c:geo. I prefer the 2nd one because it has more built into the app. I would like to eventually get a Garmin etrax 20 so I am not using my phone data.

I've been doing it off/on for a few years and even got my wife into it, its not a bad hobby to have and pretty easy to pick-up.

Between my wife and I think we've done about 70-80 caches so far, each time we go out of town we check out the website to see which ones we can knock out.
I am up to 35. A co-worker introduced it to me last summer. I enjoy being outside and solving puzzles so why not right. :D

I tried it once. My girlfriend made it sound fun and exciting to try. I figured what the hell right? I drove 3 miles from my house to look for something next to a river. I wore shirts. Didn't find anything but garbage so we gave up. Later on I started itching like crazy and realized I got poison ivy/oak on my legs.

I'll never be doing that again.
I would not give up that easily. The coordinates are not always exact. I found a few that were off by a couple feet. Typically if a cache is next to a body of water, check the bridge guard rails. :icon_thumby:

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Sweet! I have been geocaching for several years now, allthough I haven't done much in the last few months. it is fun. I really like the larger ones that are well hidden. me and my son found one in an ammo box that was hidden in an old 100 year old corn threshing machine. and it was a 50 cal ammo box.

The nano's can be fun too. some of those are quite the bear to find.

I also prefer the c: geo app, much better than the official app.

What is your handle on Geocaching .com? Mine is AnsonJ1. So far I have found 87 :)

AJ

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Sweet! I have been geocaching for several years now, allthough I haven't done much in the last few months. it is fun. I really like the larger ones that are well hidden. me and my son found one in an ammo box that was hidden in an old 100 year old corn threshing machine. and it was a 50 cal ammo box.

The nano's can be fun too. some of those are quite the bear to find.

I also prefer the c: geo app, much better than the official app.

What is your handle on Geocaching .com? Mine is AnsonJ1. So far I have found 87 :)

AJ
Same as on here. We should get together some time and do some geocaching. :icon_thumby: I was in your neck of the woods on Saturday and did a little caching while the missus got her hair done. I found 3 of 5 I think. I am up to 40 found so far. Over the summer I plan on find all the ones that are near my house. Plainfield has a bunch too.

For my birthday, I plan on getting a Garmin eTrax 20. The missus and I share 4 gigabit of data so using my phone is not really that ideal. I have the geocache site up in a browser about 85% of the time. :D

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals