• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gen1 Gen2 Door Interchange Guide

Darksyne

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I swapped the dented and beat up driver-side door on the Gen1 this weekend and thought I would detail the differences I found for anyone doing this in the future.

The exterior of the door is the same and bolts to the hinges in the same way.

The differences are primarily the trim mounting holes on the inside of the door. I'll compare the differences I found below.

Armrest:
Gen1: Armrest mounts with three plastic clips that fit into square holes on the inner door frame. The Gen2 door has these square holes, so no problem using a Gen2 door with a Gen1 armrest there.
Gen2: Armrest mounts on a bracket that is affixed to the door with two screws. On my 88 door, the location of these holes were marked with an X but were not drilled. You'll need to drill these two holes to mount the Gen2 armrest on a Gen1 door.

Door Panel:
Gen1: Door panel mounts to the door with an excessive number of Christmas Tree clips. All of the holes are present on the Gen2 door. However, the Gen1 door panel does not cover the painted area at the top of the door and uses a separate inside window felt molding with clips that secure the molding into holes in the inside top of the door on the window-side. The Gen2 door does not have the holes to attach the inside window felt molding. You can fit the molding fine but it will pull out whenever you put up the window. Glue may be an option.
Gen2: Door panel mounts with an excessive number of Christmas Tree clips. It will mount up fine on the Gen1 door after you remove the inside window felt molding.

Manual Window Crank:
Gen1: The splined shaft that the window crank attaches to is slightly longer on Gen2 doors. There will be a half-inch gap when you install your Gen1 window crank on the Gen2 door. You may* be able to use the Gen2 window crank to resolve this minor cosmetic problem.
Gen2: The splined shaft that the window crank attaches to is shorter on Gen1 doors. I didn't test a Gen2 crank on the Gen1 shorter shaft so it may* work fine. My concern is that the crank would rub excessively against the door panel since the crank won't seat fully against the end of the shaft.

These were all of the differences I encountered while replacing a 88' manual window, manual lock door with a 91' manual window, manual lock door. There may be additional electrical work not mentioned here when swapping doors with power accessories.

If anyone posts information related to specific electrical issues when swapping doors between the generations I'll update this post with that information.

*= not tested so YMMV.

Seabiscuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Please define generation 1 and generation 2

Southern3.0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'96
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, what a turd...
Transmission
Manual
gen 1 83 - 88

gen 2 89 - 92

When I had my '91 I always wanted to swap a set of gen 1 doors on because of the fly windows

Bill G

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3, 2.8
Transmission
Manual
When I had my '91 I always wanted to swap a set of gen 1 doors on because of the fly windows
I still want to swap mine. I like the wing windows better but haven't been able to find any locally at a good price.

Branger

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/6 on air
Tire Size
315/35r17
I have a 91ranger . will 91expo doors bolt up?
id like to have those due to the location of the mirror. I have 87 doors on now and the mirrors are set back further than the original 91 door. But my doors are tweaked so I’d like to replace them before paint

any Info will be very much appreciated, thank you

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I believe the doors fit the hole and bolt up, but the shadow lines are wrong.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals