• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gen 1 lock problems

Aragorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey, I'm having some issues with my driver side lock. First, on occasion, the lock post will not go down. It is like something is catching that shouldn't in the door. I have to slam the door then reopen it or just whack the door panel to get it free to push it down.
Second, the key does nothing in the lock. Rather than not turning, the tumbler turns freely. I can feel that it is clearly not engaging anything. I have had the door panel off, but cannot see anything near the lock and door catch (i need to get one of those dentist's mirrors:derisive:)
So, has anyone experienced this or know what could be the culprit? Thanks a lot. It is seriously getting on my nerves.

Seabiscuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I recommend gutting out your door and replacing with another set from the junk yard. Pretty easy but takes time.

Aragorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks, it may come to that.
Does anyone have any experience that may help in repairing the problem? Or any way to look at what may be the problem without pulling it all out? Thanks again.

mountainkowboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Sucks to be you
It sounds like the plastic shim/clip is broken or almost broken. Do you have power door locks? If you do the lock motor may be going bad also.

Aragorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
It sounds like the plastic shim/clip is broken or almost broken. Do you have power door locks? If you do the lock motor may be going bad also.
I do have aftermarket remote door locks I put in. I know how to get to those, since I put them in, and I've already tried the door locks without the actuator with the same results. This shouldn't have any effect on the actual lock cylinder not connecting to the lock.
So, if anyone knows how the cylinder connects to the door lock, that would be great. Thanks.

*edit* - Where is this shim/clip located and how do I get to it?

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
What it sounds like to me, and I deal with these on a daily basis, is the rod connecting the lock cylinder to the latch has come off the plastic "arm" on the back of the lock cylinder. This would explain why the lock does nothing when you turn the key, and explains why sometimes the inside lock gets "caught". This is probably the lock cylinder rod getting caught under something in the door, and when you go to push the inner lock, the outer rod jambs on something. This is a fairly simple fix, if the plastic arm is not broke, just snap the rod into it, if it is broke and doesn't have two little tabs to hold the lock rod in, then you can get a new arm from a lock cylinder at a junkyard or possibly an auto parts store. The arm is held to the back of the lock cylinder by a small c-clip.

HareRazor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There's a little clip on the side of the door that holds the lock in that you don't even have to pull the panel off to get to. Pull it out and see if the rod going to the lock is still hooked up. There's a little plastic clip that could've gotten broken and the rod could've fallen out making the key do nothing.

Aragorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks Loanranger and HareRazor. I'll look for that today and let you know.

Aragorn

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Well, that was the problem. The cylinder was disconnected from the lock post thing. Unfortunately, I could not find the original clip. I had to improvise with a pushnut that could likely come off in the future. I guess I need to make a stop at a Pick-n-Pull.
Thanks guys for all your help!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals