• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

GEM module...

ranger98v

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Is this the proper name for the component? "G.E.M" I am trying to locate and replace the said G.EM. in my 98 ranger 4x4 ,3.0L, vin U, where is it located, exactly and what components does it control? and once replaced, do i have to re-flash the pcm? all input is helpful...thank you!

srteach

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999, 2001
Make / Model
Ranger, F350
Engine Size
4.0L, 7.3 Diesel
Transmission
Manual
Behind the radio bezel, left side. It's a black box with (I think) three plugs into it.

What does it control? I don't know exactly

Will you have to re-flash? No. It's the general electronics module, not a main controller linked to the pcm.

Earl43P

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F250 4WD
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It controls:
Wipers
Washers
Dome light
Seat Belt light/buzzer
Door ajar
Key in warning
Lights on key removed warning
Ignition
Speedo
4WD shift

I'm curious why you want to replace it.

It's referred to as the General Electronic Module / Central Timing module.

omnisicentfly

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I think I may need to replace mine... Here's a post I put on another forum.

I have a 2000 Ford Ranger 4X4, 3.0 V6. I recently replaced the engine with a Jasper rebuilt and now when engaging the 4X4 with the switch on the dash only my 4X4 high light will light up, no 4X4 low.

The switch on the dash is working as tested by a mechanic. Vacuum lines were replaced as well. It is equipped with the vacuum pulse 4X4 system; however, I would like to bypass the vacuum system with manual locking hubs I found for sale here, http://store.4wheelingplus.com/proddetail.asp?prod=15001.70

My question is that even with the manual locking hubs, I do need to engage the transfer case with the switch on the dash, if I am only getting 4X4 high to light up, will the manual locking hubs function properly in 4-wheel? Or will I need to have both 4-high and 4-low available to have full 4X4 functionality?

The mechanic that did my engine also mentioned that the problem could be with the GEM module. Just looking for suggestions on possible fixes so I can buy and use the manual locking hubs and avoid using the problematic vacuum system on this model.

Thanks for any and all help. If I left any important details out please let me know (Or if I posted to the wrong area), the 4X4 is important to me and my only concern with vehicle presently.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals