• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Geezers: New cars then vs now

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Wait… hybrids and electric cost more? Low mpg cost less? What’s the idea behind that?
In Saskatchewan we don't have the "low mpg cost less", but we have the "electric cost more". Vehicles with an ICE pay a gas tax that (supposedly) goes towards road maintenance. Since an EV doesn't use gas, they don't pay the tax, so to make it more fair, they get a $150.00 per year surcharge that goes towards road maintenance.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
yeah, that, I think it's around $130 for 2 years for what I have but around $300 for 2 years for anything over 40mpg? something like that...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Where I’m at in PA it’s a yearly inspection for body/mechanical, but not very thorough, they check tires, brakes and suspension, supposed to do a visual inspection of exhaust to make sure it has a cat and muffler and it exits past the passenger compartment. There’s a bunch of other stuff they are supposed to do like check and aim the headlights but a lot of shops don’t worry about that and some shops don’t even really check the exhaust because there’s a few straight piped vehicles running around. I’ve talked with a few shops and they said there’s not enough time or money to check everything, especially newer vehicles with plastic trim over everything and the inspection laws have gotten ridiculous. They have even added inspections to Classic plated vehicles and possibly Antique so there’s really not any benefit anymore to getting one of those.

Ohio where my GF is at, they do a VIN check when you register it if it’s not an Ohio vehicle and that’s the last time they see it, just send in for tags that are due on your birthday.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
NH has had safety inspection for decades and most inspection stations take it seriously because the tech who does the inspection can have liability if defective equipment causes and accident, injury, or death. The feds threatened to withhold our highway money unless we did emissions inspections so we adopted the Gordon Darby OBD II system for vehicles 96 or newer, under 8600 GVW. I don't mind inspections at all, it's nice to know the vehicle driving toward me probably has good steering and brakes.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Road maintenance...PFT! They use that money for private jets, hookers and drugs.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
In Saskatchewan we don't have the "low mpg cost less", but we have the "electric cost more". Vehicles with an ICE pay a gas tax that (supposedly) goes towards road maintenance. Since an EV doesn't use gas, they don't pay the tax, so to make it more fair, they get a $150.00 per year surcharge that goes towards road maintenance.
Virginia has a surcharge for electric vehicles and a smaller one for hybrids and other newer fuel-efficient vehicles. The reason is the same: replacing the gas tax normal vehicles pay. The EV surcharge is roughly $120/year. This year the state is supposed to allow a road mileage–based fee in place of the surcharge for qualifying vehicles. It will be up to the vehicle owner to choose which to pay.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
I think Texas has a surcharge for electric vehicles too.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
In NJ we have plug and play emissions testing on ‘96 and later light duty vehicles only. Depending on the GVWR, medium duty stuff is exempt up to ‘13 model year.

As far as road tax, EVs are exempt from road tax, the 6-1/4% sales tax, and you can get up to a $5k rebate from the state.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
In NJ we have plug and play emissions testing on ‘96 and later light duty vehicles only. Depending on the GVWR, medium duty stuff is exempt up to ‘13 model year.

As far as road tax, EVs are exempt from road tax, the 6-1/4% sales tax, and you can get up to a $5k rebate from the state.
that's a hell of a deal, all the normal users get to foot the bill for some guy that saves money on gas.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
that's a hell of a deal, all the normal users get to foot the bill for some guy that saves money on gas.
*in a heavier than standard car...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals