• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gearwrench tools?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I've seen a few dual ratchets out there, but I do know HFT has one HERE, I might splurge for myself and get both extending ratchets they have...

I've been using gear wrench ratcheting wrenches at work for over a decade, we've egged out one of the 9/16" wrenches where it would get jammed but they replaced that through Napa. I don't see much of their stuff out there other than wrenches so no experience... I did buy myself a full set of full length and stubby at Home Depot last christmas season I think... came in a cloth rollup and that's where they've stayed since my toolbox is stuffed... when the shop box is set up those will come out to be used...

I too have a drawer of ratchets, it's extremely varied, mostly harbor freight stuff and a couple Craftsman and several of those cheapie's with the black plastic turn thing that break all the time :)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B3000
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks just what I wanted...

Sorry for jumping in line.

Ray

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I forgot to mentions this as well. +1.
Northern tool has some good stuff too.
My main combination wrench set is northern and I like it.

That said they have since switched to Klutch.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
I've seen a few dual ratchets out there, but I do know HFT has one HERE, I might splurge for myself and get both extending ratchets they have...

I've been using gear wrench ratcheting wrenches at work for over a decade, we've egged out one of the 9/16" wrenches where it would get jammed but they replaced that through Napa. I don't see much of their stuff out there other than wrenches so no experience... I did buy myself a full set of full length and stubby at Home Depot last christmas season I think... came in a cloth rollup and that's where they've stayed since my toolbox is stuffed... when the shop box is set up those will come out to be used...

I too have a drawer of ratchets, it's extremely varied, mostly harbor freight stuff and a couple Craftsman and several of those cheapie's with the black plastic turn thing that break all the time :)
I have the HF ones that have a 1/4" on one end and 3/8" on the other. One is a shorty and the other is a long swivel headed. Both were gifted to me by friends that thought I would find them useful, which I did. They are often my go to now.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I may hafta go stage and post a pic of all my ratchets....

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I seen a set of flex head ratcheting gear wrenches at the tractor supply this morning, clearance $60 for 14 wrenches. I wanted them, but I didn't want to pay for them. They are still there if you want to go get them @Dirtman

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The "ratchets, extensions and adapters" drawer.

20201224_120458.jpg

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have one of those dual drive spud ratchets, and it did indeed come from Tractor Supply. Mine is a flex head though, think I paid 5 bucks or something for it on clearance. It's about the clunkiest damn thing I own... looks like it was made in the Soviet Union. It went straight into my junkyard tool bag where I am sure it will come in handy.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I just ordered the 90 tooth locking flex head ratchet set. We'll see how they are. 90 tooth sounds like it should have very little slack. I absolutely hate when you have a ratchet in a tight spot and the damn thing swings but won't click!

If these are decent I'm gonna order the wrench set. They are a little pricey so not sure yet.
Agreed, nothing is more annoying than not being able to catch the next click. 90 tooth is good. I am not a fan of the swivel head, but that is just personal preference. I tend to accidently bump those thumb switches too much, and prefer the kind that must be pinched and rotated to change directions. I struggle with release buttons, and prefer the lack of one.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
Got my Gearwrench ratchets finally. Really nice set and the 90 tooth gear is awesome, they have very little swing between clicks. Time will tell if they hold up.

On a second point, I wonder why no one has used a set of one way clutch type bearings instead of a gear in smaller ratchets. I've customized fishing reels over the years and one of the things I do is take apart the anti-reverse ratcheting gear (the part that keeps the handle from spinning backwards) and replace it with a one way clutch bearing. They bite instantly so there is zero slop. In a ratchet you could use two bearings (one for each direction) and use the switch to engage one and disengage the other for left and right action. It wouldn't work for a big ratchet taking a ton of torque but it would be fine for bit drivers and smaller 1/4" drive ratchets.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got my Gearwrench ratchets finally. Really nice set and the 90 tooth gear is awesome, they have very little swing between clicks. Time will tell if they hold up.

On a second point, I wonder why no one has used a set of one way clutch type bearings instead of a gear in smaller ratchets. I've customized fishing reels over the years and one of the things I do is take apart the anti-reverse ratcheting gear (the part that keeps the handle from spinning backwards) and replace it with a one way clutch bearing. They bite instantly so there is zero slop. In a ratchet you could use two bearings (one for each direction) and use the switch to engage one and disengage the other for left and right action. It wouldn't work for a big ratchet taking a ton of torque but it would be fine for bit drivers and smaller 1/4" drive ratchets.
Gearless ratchets?

I have a 3/8 drive. The center just slides thru and you flip the ratchet to change directions. Works great, it is a handy size too.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
costco has a 5pc set of the ratcheting wrenches for 14 bucks... SAE or metric, your choice.

Dirtman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals