• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

gearstick rattles like crazy

MS32

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its just started to happen, its very annoying riding 60 down the road and all i can hear is that darn stick rattling. any ideas? oh and another thing thats happening is the truck wants to buck like crazy when i change from 1st to second, to third. it stops bucking after third

magnetnerd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
What specifically is rattling? The shift knob? Or do you have a lot of play in the shifter? If it's play in the shifter you probably need new shifter bushings. There's a writeup in the tech section that lists part numbers, or you can go on ebay and find a kit.

As far as the bucking...I have no bucking clue.

magnetnerd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
PS, where in Georgia are you?

MS32

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
What specifically is rattling? The shift knob? Or do you have a lot of play in the shifter? If it's play in the shifter you probably need new shifter bushings. There's a writeup in the tech section that lists part numbers, or you can go on ebay and find a kit.

As far as the bucking...I have no bucking clue.

lol no bucking clue..im in colquitt county, and its not the knob its gotta be the bushings then

Apollo-Soyuz 1975

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.5L Lima 4-cyl
Transmission
Manual
Could be that the engine/trans mounts are shot.

MS32

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ill look into that thanks

magnetnerd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Could be that the engine/trans mounts are shot.
I was under the impression that's true if it moves significantly on its own when under a large load, usually in first or reverse. No?

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
the motor will torque over if the motormounts aren't good enough, and the shifter will go with it, my mustang with a SHOT drivers side motor mount, would torque over so far that in first gear, my shifter would hit the passenger side of the console... other than that, there were no symptoms...

if your passenger side mount is shot, then you likely won't notice much of a problem, transmission mount, not too sure...

just make sure if you change your transmission mount, you don't put a solid in there, if you have rubber up front, good way to crack your tranny casing

magnetnerd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
the motor will torque over if the motormounts aren't good enough, and the shifter will go with it, my mustang with a SHOT drivers side motor mount, would torque over so far that in first gear, my shifter would hit the passenger side of the console... other than that, there were no symptoms...

if your passenger side mount is shot, then you likely won't notice much of a problem, transmission mount, not too sure...

just make sure if you change your transmission mount, you don't put a solid in there, if you have rubber up front, good way to crack your tranny casing
Dammit, I think that's what's wrong with mine. It doesn't rattle or have excessive play, but if I'm starting up a hill in first, damn, that shifter wants to be on the passenger side bad. I'm going to start a new thread and post up pics of my mounts. I really have no idea what good/bad ones look like, but I can only assume mine are shot.

MS32

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i got another question..my ranger is a 92 and i didnt come with a tachometer(rpm gauge) and i shift about 1-2(15), 2-3-(25), 3-4(35), and 4-5(50) am i about right? my girlfriend swears up and down that im changing at around 1500 but i seriously doubt it...im pretty sure im around four K when i change

--weezl--

June 2011 OTOTM Winner
Law Enforcement
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
easy check for the motor mounts, put a jack under the motor, and jack the motor up, see if it lifts off the frame... if it does, your mounts are f-ed, if not, they are fine... this is how we check motor mounts on peterbuilts...

ms, it's impossible to tell you for sure what RPM you are at based off of what you are saying, transmission, differentials and tire sizes make a huge difference in all of those figures, but i can pretty well guarantee you aren't shifting at 1500 rpm, if you were, you would probably stall it as you shifted... hell after my shifts i'm usually closer to 2500rpm... go do yourself a favor, buy an aftermarket tach, i know princess auto up here sells cheap ones for like $15... harbor freight should carry them down there... if not check your local parts store...

MS32

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
but how do you install a tachometer if a 1992 ranger never had one??

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals