• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gears for mud drags

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86, 88, 95x2, 9
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo, 4.0L, 4.0L SOHC, 5.7L (yea chevy motor, I didn't do it though!)
Transmission
Manual

My fully functional 8,000lb Off road wrecker racing fast track on 38.5" Boggers Last May

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86, 88, 95x2, 9
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I garauntee you know of me after seeing where you live. I dont live far from Muzzy. There's always about a half dozen lifted mud trucks in my driveway being worked on

Last edited:

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Yes I have seen that rig up there. I also ran the numbers on your ratio when you launch. With 38" tires, 4.10 gears, and second gear in 4 low, you are launching at about 16.70:1. Given that you have a stick shift and can drop the clutch at a higher rmp than I can due to my automatic I think my best set up would be to keep it in 4 low and go up to 35's. That would have me launching at 21.99:1 but I hit second gear quickly and I am at 16.65:1 in second 4 low.:yahoo:

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I haven't been out to Mussy's house. I know him from vermonster, and the two of us went to the same college.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86, 88, 95x2, 9
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had to launch in first or second, it had enough motor to launch in third and spin all 4 but I was having clutch friction issues with my brand new clutch and flywheel. haha, if I had a 2nd and a half gear that would have been perfect!

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86, 88, 95x2, 9
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what about swapping in 4.56's and using high range with your current tires? You could use your stock carriers and that wouldn't be any more money than a tire upgrage. I think your last calculations are still going to put you too low for the power that motor puts out

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I already have the 35's/ Plus If I went into high range had 4.88 gears and 31's I would still be launching at 11.76:1.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86, 88, 95x2, 9
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That doesn't make sense to me that you would need 4.88's to launch in high range with 31's? My 01 ex sport should have been nearly identical in almost every way as far as gearing, weight and power. 4.10's, SOHC, 5 speed auto, 33" tires and both should be right around the same weight. The explorer being slightly heavier if anything. In high range my explorer had no issues spinning the tires. If I had 4.56's it would have been perfect for fast track. It might not feel like its launching as hard as you'd like but when you hit the 100 foot mark you'll be pulling ahead.

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
That make sense. You will have to excuse me, some times I get way to hung up on numbers. I guess what I need to do is stop running numbers in my head and just do a few 0-60's in low range, and then again in high and see what is faster instead of getting hung up on numbers.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86, 88, 95x2, 9
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I would try the 35's with low range first since you already have them and its no out of pocket expense. That will put you slightly higher geared than you are now. But i think 4.56's would be perfect in high range with the 33's or go with 4.88's and your 35's but even that might be a little low for fast track

Masteryeti

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
we use to run a mud drag here where I'm from and from trail and error I agree, 4:56 with 33s and 4:88 with 35s. a lot of the guys who ran here wanted to run high range because of less shifting....bouncing through a bog made gear grabbing a pain....in a standard that is

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86, 88, 95x2, 9
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Randy has an event coming up in february called Snow Bog. That would be a good place to test the 35's in some head to head runs. It would at least give you an idea and time to change things again before the official season starts. Im hoping to have all my changes done on my new truck by then and bring it up for test and tune. Besides I heard its another Mudlife magazine event and a chance to gain qualifying points for the 4x4 cross "Throttle King" finals

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals