• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gears for mud drags

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
In the last year I have gotten into side by side mud drag racing, and am trying to figure out ways to make my Ranger faster. I figure the best way to do this is by getting the gear ratios right. I currently run the drags in 4 low because it launches off the line much better that way, and 300ft is a very short drag to make up for a bad launch. The down side to this is that with the gears so tight together I don't stay in the power band rpm ranges long per gear, and I pay for the launch with high end speed. I have figured out that my gear ratios in 4low with axle ratio and tire size taken into account are as follows.
1st= 23.34:1
2nd= 17.67:1
3rd= 13.89:1
4th= 9.45:1

I am thinking that there are 2ways to fix this issue. 1. put bigger tires on it to drive the final drive ratios up, or re gear my axles from 4.10's to 4.88's and drop my tire size from 33's to 31's.

If I put 35's on it and keep it in low range, and 4.10's in the axles my new ratios will be
1st= 21.99:1
2nd= 16.65:1
3rd= 13.09:1
4th= 8.90:1

If I do the 4.88's and 31's the ratios will be
1st= 11.76:1
2nd= 8.90:1
3rd= 6.99:1
4th= 4.76:1

Just not sure which one would make my truck faster in a 300' drag race. Thanks in advance for advice.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86, 88, 95x2, 9
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo, 4.0L, 4.0L SOHC, 5.7L (yea chevy motor, I didn't do it though!)
Transmission
Manual
In the last year I have gotten into side by side mud drag racing, and am trying to figure out ways to make my Ranger faster. I figure the best way to do this is by getting the gear ratios right. I currently run the drags in 4 low because it launches off the line much better that way, and 300ft is a very short drag to make up for a bad launch. The down side to this is that with the gears so tight together I don't stay in the power band rpm ranges long per gear, and I pay for the launch with high end speed. I have figured out that my gear ratios in 4low with axle ratio and tire size taken into account are as follows.
1st= 23.34:1
2nd= 17.67:1
3rd= 13.89:1
4th= 9.45:1

I am thinking that there are 2ways to fix this issue. 1. put bigger tires on it to drive the final drive ratios up, or re gear my axles from 4.10's to 4.88's and drop my tire size from 33's to 31's.

If I put 35's on it and keep it in low range, and 4.10's in the axles my new ratios will be
1st= 21.99:1
2nd= 16.65:1
3rd= 13.09:1
4th= 8.90:1

If I do the 4.88's and 31's the ratios will be
1st= 11.76:1
2nd= 8.90:1
3rd= 6.99:1
4th= 4.76:1

Just not sure which one would make my truck faster in a 300' drag race. Thanks in advance for advice.
I run at most of the event's in the area regularly also. Go Deep Mud, Toy Farm, Vermonster, Barnyard and a couple of the smaller tracks as well. If you'd like any advice at the runs I'd be more than willing to help you out the best I can.

Are you running a 2.9L or an SOHC swap in your truck? I couldn't tell from your profile. To give you an idea of what my set up was I ran 4.10's with an SOHC swapped ranger with 38.5" Boggers and locked axles. It was scary how well it launched in 4 low with the 38's and had more than enough power to turn them through 3rd gear.

Also are you setting it up for a Vermonster style side by side or deeper mud?
I try to launch mine in the highest possible gear but still leave enough power to get it moving in the shallow stuff. I found my best runs with the SOHC and 38's and 4.10's were in 4 low and second gear. Since you are running a shorter tire you shouldn't have any issues launching in 4 high 1st gear or possibly if needed drop to a 31" Bogger to get a slightly shorter tire for the gearing but still get good bite.

If your doing deeper mud then you would obviously want a taller tire. I'd say try a 34" LTB and try launching in 2nd gear 4 low and it should put you right where you want to be. The reason I say go with 34's instead of 35's is some of the tracks have a 34" tire limit or a 35" to 38" class for the 6 cyl. Others just lump all the DOT tires into one class regardless of size

Either tire size should give you roughly the same final ratio and launch. I'm giving you the info bassed on the assuption your running a 2.9L. If your running the SOHC letme know and I can re adjust some numbers for you.

The fewer shifts for fast track the faster you'll be at the end ofthe 300 feet. Deep mud you pick a gear and stay in it. haha

My profile pic is from Go Deep Mud, thats the same lifted off road tow truck that I ran at Vermonster last may on the fast track

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
this is my 2003 Ranger with 4.0 SOHC. I also run Toyfarm and Vermonster. Took 3rd place in the 35"tire class at toyfarm, and did well in the drags at vermonster but did not place. Unfortunately its an automatic so I cant just start out in second gear.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86, 88, 95x2, 9
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
is yours the red ranger?

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
no. this is my fast track ranger.

and this is my deep mud BroncoII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86, 88, 95x2, 9
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I put an 01 Explorer sport together this year and ran 33" Baja Claws on it for the trails. I used 4 low for crawling the trails but it had more than enough power to launch in 4 high for a fast track type event. I love the SOHC for the fast track because they pull soo hard in the top end.

Take the truck out on a dirt road and try launching a few times in 4 high, see how it feels. Once your off the line the motor will pull hard in high range. If it seems to bog or be a little too sluggish try stepping down 1 tire size at a time until it feels right. Too low a gear can be a bad thing too though especially since that motor has more than enough power to turn them if geared a bit steeper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86, 88, 95x2, 9
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is that a Staff shirt your wearing at Vermonster? I didn't have any of my race trucks at the fall event. I own the white 4 door dually Powerstroke that towed the big K5 Blazer "Mud Patrol" in.

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Yes it's a staff shirt. I have been racing in the trench at vermonster since 2008 with my B2 and know Randy well. This fall they wanted someone like me at the gates for the night shift Friday night into Saturday morning, and I wanted to race for free so that is what happened. :yahoo:

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
I have tried launching in 4 high on a class 6 road. In first gear it launched hard enough to get the wheels spinning, but once I regained traction it bogged back down to about 2500 RPM. If I am going to run 4 high I need to drop a tire size or re-gear if not both.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86, 88, 95x2, 9
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
haha, right on. We stayed on site in the back field up by the Tree line next to Team Toilet. If you were at the gate at night you saw/heard my dually. 5 speed powerstroke with MBRP down pipe and 5" straight pipe dumping out in front of my rear duals. If I dont have my trucks there I generally crew for the "Eliminator" and "Shot Time" Bronco's. We took first place in the open class at that event against "Wild Bill" when he snapped his rear axle. That was supposed to be my run in Eliminator but I apperantly wasn't paying attention to the class's and someone else hopped in. Lol

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
Nice. I generally camp in the front field and hang out with "willy maker" and "Damage Inc" and Ron (the guy who runs the trench line. We are old Army buddy's)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
86, 88, 95x2, 9
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I know of Damage Inc but not sure if I recognize Willy Maker? Front lot buddies of mine are Gary Muzzler "Overbudget" big old rear engine dodge mega truck. Kurt Zeller "Pit Viper" Green YJ Jeep mega truck with the turbo'd 6.0L, Brandon Parker in the "Orange Crush" mega truck andthen you have Derek Marchand And Boot's Bulduc of "Team Awesome!" All good friends of mine. The cage in my new truck came out of Derek's green tuff truck explorer he stood on the nose at the mudlife event last may.

Most of those guy's dont spend the night on site though. I realized that Derek was up there when they came cruising out back on the golf cart at midnight saturday night.

I camp out there with the 2 bronco teams and the guy's from Forge on 4x. All local friends

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
this fall Mussy and Kurt hung out with our crew. "willy maker" is the yellow rail that hangs out with "damage Inc" at most of the shows.

mud junky

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988/2003
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L/4.0SOHC
Transmission
Manual
FR sent. I am surprised we have not run into each other. We have 8 mutual friends on FB.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals