• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gearing

RangerRow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
current: 4 inch suspension rear plus 1 inch block, 4 inch front. Soon: James Duff stage 3 6 inch lift kit
Tire Size
31s soon 33s
So I have a 1992 ford ranger 4x4 4.0l STX with the ford 8.8 and dana 35. It currently has cut out fender flares and 4-inch lift leaves in the rear with a one-inch block, the front I think is a James Duff stage 1 3 inch kit that the previous owner must have installed before I got it. I am fairly certain that the axles have 3.55 gears in them right now, I am running 31-inch tires but I would like to go up to a 33 soon and the gears are underpowered as it is so I was thinking about jumping to 4.56s. A few people have recommended colorado axle and gear because they say he does good work however when I called he said it would be about $2300, that's without a locker. Is that a good price? seems pretty high to me but you get what you pay for right? Not to mention I live about an hour and a half from the shop. Also what other places would you recommend in Colorado and what kind of pricing are they?

Attachments

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
I have 31's on my 97 with the 4.0 and 8.8. it does fairly well. with that said, going up in tire size I would at least get 4:10's and if you are going to lift it or get bigger tires in the future, 4:56 is not a bad idea. setting gears is going to cost you well over a thousand bucks if you have a shop do it. it is not something that the average shadetree mechanic can do, and if you do it wrong you will ruin the gears in the first few miles that you drive it. Now that being said, a much cheaper route would be to find the axles you need with the gearing you want in the junk yard and swap them out as a unit rather than taking the axles apart. BUT...finding both axles with 4:56 gears in the junk yard will be like finding an honest politician. possible, but not very likely. 4:10's are a little easier to find because Ford did put them in as an option, especially in the later year Rangers.

the other option would be to find a friend who knows how to set the spacing and backlash and can set the gears up and show you how to do it... but again if you goof it, you trash the gear set.

Good luck.

RangerRow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
current: 4 inch suspension rear plus 1 inch block, 4 inch front. Soon: James Duff stage 3 6 inch lift kit
Tire Size
31s soon 33s
Thanks for the reply and the advice, I think I'm going to be going to the junkyard and looking for 4.10 axles and stick with the 31s for now until I can afford new gears. I think they are a very reputable shop so I will probably use them in the future, however, I might wait until I do a SAS with a Dana 30 or 44, I will see what I find at the junkyard. Thanks again!

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
Oh I forgot to mention that I am running 3:73's in my Ranger... 4:10's will probably do you just fine with 31's. and it gives you the option of taking your old axles and having them set up as you can afford it and clean/ paint and replace all the seals and bearings. then swap them in when you get the bigger tires :)

AJ

RangerRow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31s soon 33s
That makes sense, I think if I replaced my axles with the same ones just with 4.10s from the junkyard it would allow me to do some trails I would like to while I save money for everything else I would like to do. I would like to do it fast but also do it right. that way I don't mess things something up, doing it right requires patience and time to save up.(y)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
There is this chart in the How To Tech section that will help you decide if 4.56:1 is right for what you want. Me personally, I'm looking at that gearing with 31's for more off road grunt and for towing.

The How To Tech section has a lot of good info stored there. You might want to burn some time there just to see what the possibilities are.

RangerRow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31s soon 33s
I have been floating around all of the charts and everything and eventually, I want to go up to 33s so with the 4.56s on the 31s the truck has now as you said, wouldn't do great for DD until I get the money for getting the 33s. For the winter I really don't drive it all that much due to having a seasonal job. I also really don't drive too far on the highway either. Even heading to work and back, it is only about a 26-mile drive round trip. Once the 33s get on the 4.56s would be pretty much perfect I think for off-road use since I am wanting to do more difficult crawling over boulders and stuff.:D
with a locker in the rear (I would put one in the front but from everything I have read and heard from shops and friends, they grenade the Dana 35) I think it will get me just about anywhere I want to go, Camping trips, crawling trips, overland stuff, whatever I want really.

Thanks for all of the replies!?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
4.56:1 with 31s will be a bit of a mpg hit on the highway for sure. I'm not sure by how much but I'm expecting by an mpg or two.

If Torsen ever gets off their keesters and puts the D35 T2 up for sale (they say they have them and should be on sale at the beginning of this year), that would be a good option. If they hold true to their word, I'm buying one. With a locker in the rear, the drivetrain will be as good as a Ranger drivetrain can expect to be without swapping the front end with something more durable.

RangerRow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31s soon 33s
Are they going to be making one for a 90-92 Ranger? that would be nice to have if so.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
They supposedly have ones for the Dana 35 SLA in stock. I'm not sure of the 90-92 has the SLA. I'm thinking they have the TTB axle.

EDIT: I forgot we were talking about a '92. If you have the TTB like I think you do, they are more hardy than the SLA and are more locker friendly but I'll deffer those with more knowledge on the subject. I believe there is a discussion concerning getting a locker and the right locker for that axle in the axle section of the forum.

RangerRow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31s soon 33s
The 90-92 rangers do have the TTB Axle, so those are for the newer ones then. Most of the things I know about lockers come from here say and what my uncle experienced with his bronco II that he swapped a Dana 35 into from the 28 and destroyed the ring gear after a few times of using the locker. I have no idea what brand he put in or anything. After putting Dana 44 knuckles onto the Dana 35 he decided to SAS a Dana 30 in. I'm not sure which is better, both have their strengths and weaknesses. I'm thinking of doing the Dana 44 knuckle swap on mine if I get the chance to and decide to keep the Dana 35. A locker would be awesome but everything I have been told says don't put one in.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I beleive @Jim Oaks TRS2 has your axle. He and a few others here would be the authorities who can tell you was is and isn't true and what the best route to go is. I'm sorry I muddied the waters a bit for you. The gearing info should still be sound.

RangerRow

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31s soon 33s
Okay, thank you for the info! I'm still learning all of these things so anything helps. I don't have any experience working on the axles themselves other than the seals and bearings that I had to replace not too long ago.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals