• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gear Oil in my M50D-R1

88ranger89camaro

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My MD50D-R1 has gear oil in it ........... Is it important that I go back to ATF or can I roll with the gear oil?

I'm pretty sure thats the trans I have and from looking in the tech section it says that what I should have 88 2.3 2wd

Also the rubber plugs it suggests on replacing... where exactly are they "on top" of the trans?

elcaliente

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
rubber plugs

theyre right in front of your shifter underneath the floor learned the hard way plugs dried up fell out and all the fluid leaked out lost 3rd gear replaced the tranny and replaced the plugs with Dorman steel plugs #555108 put some silicone on them and tap em in as far as your oil is concerned i would say the oil you have in there now is gonna make shifting pretty tough, i dont think the syncros work very well with a thick lube also they might be affected by the acids in that type of oil not really knowlegeable in the subject, just my two cents

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Replace it with ATF ASAP.

88ranger89camaro

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
IDK why the schmuck on wheels that had it before me put it in there, I know I have put 4k-5k on it in a year with it in there, and its a little hard to shift, I just figured it was wore out some

i guess i should drain the gear oil, put ATF in drive it 10 miles give or take, drain again and then refill with ATF to flush that gear oil out ..... seem good enough to yall??

and the plugs, take the shift boot off the acess them

sorry if im asking simple questions, im new to the ranger world

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
let it idle for a bit to warm up and you'll get alot more gear oil out in the first drain.

88ranger89camaro

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i drained, filled with elcheapo ATF, drove 4 miles, drained, now putting castrol dex/merc in ....... ordered the plugs for the top, i hope you can get to them from the shift boot :icon_confused:

pcollins

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
GMC
Engine Size
4.8L
Transmission
Automatic
You could have just pulled the old ones out, cleaned them and slapped 'em back in with RTV all over them and they would have sealed up fine.

88ranger89camaro

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You could have just pulled the old ones out, cleaned them and slapped 'em back in with RTV all over them and they would have sealed up fine.
at $1.50 for 3 of the steel plugs, i could care less if i dont use them, i got them incase i tear one of the rubber ones ...... but thats my plan to clean and RTV them, but like i said it a "plan" may have to use the steel plugs, ill post up what happens

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals