• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' the posts that you read.

GAWR of Dana Advantek Axles for 2020 Ford Ranger 4x4 w/ e-ocker

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Another alternative especially if you can spec out your camper is to cut weight.

Whoever ordered mine did not get the fridge (glorified cooler/icebox instead) and no house battery. I really don't know if many campers really need a heater which would cut weight. Opt out of the stove and you could cut out the whole propane setup too. Mine has a normal BBQ sized propane tank and it has to be mounted high, the heater and fridge have to be mounted above the bedrails too. A bedroom/dining room on wheels with a portable campstove and a cooler (or small self contained fridge) wouldn't be too bad at all.

A/C for me would be really nice as I do most of my camping in the summer, I wouldn't nix that if it was an option.

I know FWC offers a base model that is empty for you to finish out on your own, if you really want to get serious about cutting weight something like that might be a really good way to go.

Rock Auto 5% Discount Code: 4FF3E9EEA14805 Expires: October 1st, 2020

tankmech

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4WD
Transmission
Automatic
don4331 - Thanks for your feedback. I'm already looking for ways to remove weight from my Ranger. I did the obvious: pull the "rear seat" cushions. Next I plan to pull the rear seat backs. that should give me another 20 pounds or so. The tailgate probably weighs 20-30 pounds. So, I'l have cut 50 there. :) Also planning to go with a smaller water tank in the camper and not carry as much stuff as I normally might. I should be able to make the max payload number without too much of a sweat. Besides, wheeling with a "lighter" truck will be a lot more fun.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I strip weight off the truck when I transport the camper (Adventurer 76r):
Tailgate* & spare come off truck, battery & propane comes out, jacks come off of the camper - a little over 350 lbs. It all goes into a trailer if I'm going to need them at the other end. I have issues with GVWR/RAWR, not GCWR.​
We use the camper as extra bedroom at in-laws at Xmas, when the whole clan gets together. Heater is pretty nice when its -30°C outside.

*Tailgate on my '98 was >35 lbs - yours is wider, 20% taller and has more electrics in it - I think you are under estimating the savings.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size