• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gauge cluster

Shitbox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco 2
Transmission
Manual
Does anyone know any common problems with where the voltage regulator for the gauge cluster gets its power. Tried a different cluster, fuel and temp dont work. Replaced sensor and sending unit . 2.8l 1985 b2

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Find the temperature sensor on the engine and unplug it. With the key in run, engine off, have someone watch the temp gauge as you take the wire to the sensor and ground it to a good ground on the engine block. The gauge should swing full scale hot or cold. Then take the sensor wire off ground and let it hang in the air. The gauge should swing opposite full scale. If it passes this test, it will verify you do have voltage to the gauge and the gauge and the wiring are good to the sensor.

Shitbox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco 2
Transmission
Manual
Find the temperature sensor on the engine and unplug it. With the key in run, engine off, have someone watch the temp gauge as you take the wire to the sensor and ground it to a good ground on the engine block. The gauge should swing full scale hot or cold. Then take the sensor wire off ground and let it hang in the air. The gauge should swing opposite full scale. If it passes this test, it will verify you do have voltage to the gauge and the gauge and the wiring are good to the sensor.
Yeah I already did that test it didnt work , I ended up puting an aftermarket gauge and sensor and will be doing the same for the fuel, I just got tired of trying to figuring out why it didnt have power . This thing sat for 10 years and I'm already about 2k over budget

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Actually that solution was probably the best. What in the world is "normal" anyway on the gauge? Now you have real numbers.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
Actually that solution was probably the best. What in the world is "normal" anyway on the gauge? Now you have real numbers.
Definitely. Although the gauges seem to work in my 88 Bronco 2 and my 87 Ranger I'd still rather have actual gauges I have a set (voltage, oil pressure, and coolant temp) for my Bronco 2 I haven't yet installed, and I need to do the same with my Ranger I just got too. I don't trust those glorified idiot light gauges LOL.

I had a set of mechanical gauges in my 84 Bronco 2 and found it a very good investment to know exactly what's going on I do need to install a transmission temp gauge in the Bronco 2 as well, just haven't really figured out how to do so properly.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals