• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

gassy oil after 6 FI replacement on 88 2.9

Hunter71601

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I went to start truck, and and ran like crap for 20 secs, then nothing wouldnt re-start. pulled the stick, and u could just smell gas and oil very thinned. I changed oil and yes heavy gas aroma. changed with a thicker oil + half a btl of Lucas. checked the brake booster hose for gas and saw nothin. I need a direction to go in. help please :icon_surprised:

Dave

Last edited:

Big Jim M

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I think your question is, Why won't it restart? Well what we do here is to check to see if the plugs are firing and then check to see if fuel is getting into the engine. Smell of fuel is common to lots of older engines. I never worry until the oil level is increased.

Big Jim

Hunter71601

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
it coughs and fires, tryin to start, like really trying, so I know I got spark. sorry that forgot to mention that.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Pull the vacuum hose off the Fuel Pressure Regulator and see if there is gas in it. Sounds like the FPR failed and is dumping fuel.

hoosier1104

I'm Awesome!
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302 based goodness
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Work hard and play harder
^This sounds like the most logical answer.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
Yeah, sounds like the FPR. They don't always fill the booster. Also sounds like you have fouled plugs from being flooded. Take them all out, spray them down the brake cleaner and light them to burn off the excess.

Hunter71601

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i kinda thought that may be it, but wasn't sure, I'm not the kinda wrench that throws parts at somethin and just hopes it runs, know what I mean ? I really do appreciate the advise, just FYI I have some stuff for rangers, and full size for sale and I know my stuff IS the cheapest, just tryin to lighten my load for maybe a little beer money. link is below

http://baltimore.craigslist.org/pts/5002340591.html

Hunter71601

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
ok update, I finally developed time to dedicate to the truck today, and yes the FPR hose had gas in it aswell, so i'm going with what you guys said, bought this last one 3 months ago from rock auto for $35, this one the only one napa has is $101, unbelieveable. OK LETS SEE WHAT HAPPENS

Hunter71601

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
as of 2-15-16 replaced the FPR, also drained the fuel and replaced the fuel , { knowing last time I put fuel in was at least 9 months ago} it was very cold on the 15th like 18 degrees, working on it outside, went to start it and same thing, however on the 17th i tried it again, and it started right up. I shut it down, because I have the truck for sale, and people want a running truck, so today showed it to potiential buyer, it started, it drove, guy was happy, then we parked it, and it shut down half a second before he turned the key to off, he went to re-start it to make sure heat works, and no re-start, same crap, as before, but this time no fuel comming out of FPR vac hose. I couldn't help but notice this truck HATES cold weather.

PLEASE help, I just want to sell this truck

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals