• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gasoline smell in garage

lite1x

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Sorry if wrong forum, could not find this topic under the help headings. Occasionally I note a vague gasoline smell by the driver door of my '95 Ranger. This is in the garage only, never experience it anywhere else. I got under the truck with bright lights and a mini video camera and tried without success to examine areas I could not see, looking for signs of wet metal. I could not find the gas line(s) even. The big hose from filler to tank is clean and dry. Where are the lines from tank to engine?

The smell never is noticeable under the hood, or anywhere but by the driver's door but there is no leak there. The shop that does my heavy lifting did not find anything and all the pressures were good. All ideas welcome, thank you.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I would expect to find your fuel lines on the inside of the driver side frame rail.

Doofy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My credo
Shit Happens...Then You Die.
I don't think I would be parking in the garage until you solve the problem. Don't want to go BOOM!

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
I had an 89 Ford Tempo that I purchased new off the dealership and I could smell gas coming from it sometimes after starting it. That matter had me worried for quite a while but I never did figure it out...

But I do have some thoughts on it. Such as the purge canister may have a loose fitting (if so equipped) or there could be a minor drip from something like Eric mentioned under the foot well (fuel filter location).

The problem with fuel is you will not be able to tell where it is coming from without doing something like putting dye in the fuel and checking all the possible places where it might leak out...and even that can be problematic without closer inspection and things like equipment to detect fuel leaks...

Natural Gas is odorless so they had to spike it with perfume (scents) so people can tell if there is a gas leak...but gas you can smell so something like a dye is probably better...

here is a short video that might help you...I've never done this one and I drove my Tempo for 14 years with it leaking small amounts all that time...but always better safe than not safe...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdxabruzRak

Dangerrangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
94 and 04
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 s
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Do it right the first time !!!!!!!!!!
Check your fuel fill hose they crack on the top side and you can't see it . I had to run my hand over the top of mine to feel the crack in the hose, it's a very tight area. A new one is like a $100.00 or you might find a good one at a pick and pull really cheap. You'll have to lift the bed to replace it. Hope this helps.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Like Dangerrangers said check the fuel fill hose.

Also check out the retaining ring for the fuel pump. We were smelling diesel on dad's F-250. Turns out the pump retaining ring was cracked, found it when it finally broke through enough to start leaking. My 99 Ranger uses a similar retaining ring setup, not sure how your 95 is made.

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
another vote for the fuel filler neck.

they are notorious for going bad/ cracking. the next time you fill up, see if gas leaks at that time. it will eventually get to the point of you will hear the gasoline dripping onto the ground from the tank at the end of the fill up...

Get an ebay replace ment for about 29 bucks, have a friend come over for a beer and help you pull the bed off of the truck. 6 bolts, three screws around the filler neck, and one tailight harness plug by the drivers side bumper and two people can lift the bed off.

had to do this on my 97 5-6 years ago...not too bad of a job. Now my ebay hose is starting to leak, so will probalby order a new one soon and tape this one up with good quality electrical tape to protect the cheap rubber from oxidation. If you are thinking on going with OEM Ford... my local dealer quoted me 389 bucks for one... and that was 6 years ago.

AJ

91stranger

Reaction score
Whats round on the sides and hi in the middle-OHIO
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Gets Mo Chicks
Engine Size
4.2 straight six powered by gremlins, goblins and mudbloods.
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would go with the filler neck as well. Mine started leaking whenever I filled the tank. Found the hose was dry rotted and rusty as hell. Too cheap to replace the hose so I removed the hose, cleaned it as good as possible and put it back on with the gas and oil resistant glue and it has held just fine. Been about 5-6 months now and no leaks. I occasionally have to stick a magnet down the fill tube and get the flakes of rust off the screen so I can pump more than 12 cents of gas at a time.

Ianjay

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger sup
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had this trouble. It was the fuel filter on the main gas line which is a steel canister mounted to the frame under the drivers side. It is made of a poor grade of steel and was rusty. The replacement from Ford is exactly the same so I expect I will be doing it again someday. I only noticed the smell when in the garage. It did not cause a puddle, but rather a fine mist was produced when the fuel system pressurized.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals