• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gasoline Alley

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Paid $4.89 per gallon at Lake Buena Vista, FL (Orlando area) before leaving to come home this morning.

But saw this sign yesterday. Had to be some kind of joke.
20220609_164508.jpg

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm getting ready to buy a motorcycle as my DD. Got my learner's permit, bought helmet, gloves and jacket and signed up for beginner's safety course, which will also qualify as the road test. My commute to work is all back roads and there is a lot of other local travel I do that does not involve interstate highways. 15mpg doesn't cut it for a DD any more. It costs me 2 gallons per day just to commute.
I feel you. My daily has been getting 28-27 here recently, but it's a 30 mile drive one way to work. Still cheaper than living closer though. I've got the license. I've got the gear. I've got the motorcycle, but I haven't touched it since at least 2016. I'm just about ready to get out there and fix it instead of everything else. Events and people drove me away from riding, but didn't really want to give it up. Bike sat too long, needed too much maintenance, so I dropped the iregistration and there it has sat since. Need to clean, fix, and sell along with the 99 Ranger so that maybe I'll be able to buy a tank and a half of gas.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Diesel at the cheap stations is $6/gal now, at the expensive stations it's like $6.75... regular is up to $5.40 at the cheap stations and way too much at the spendy ones... filled 3 5 gallon cans to have some around so it was 30 gallons including the Ranger (was still at 1/4 tank) for like $160... ridiculous...

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Well, I did the thing to reduce my fuel usage. This thing jumped in the back of my Fun50 and came home with me today. Now I just have to learn how to ride it. I've never had a motorcycle before. I'll be taking a beginner's riding class at the local Harley Davidson dealer later this coming week. Already dropped it while unloading and broke some plastic on one side. So, I don't have to worry about the "first scratch".

20220617_160609.jpg

20220617_162530.jpg

20220617_162541.jpg

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I don't have the energy to search what that is now, but a newer enduro/dual sport would be a hoot... I want a 400-500cc version at some point but people are scary driving in vehicles around here... my old '81 Honda XL250 gets 60mpg but it's 6V and came from the factory with like 17hp... even a new 250 has almost twice that... the 6V factor (when/if the lights work they are dim...) has kept me from riding it since about 2017? I need to fix it up and either ride it or get rid of it...

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Well, I did the thing to reduce my fuel usage. This thing jumped in the back of my Fun50 and came home with me today. Now I just have to learn how to ride it. I've never had a motorcycle before. I'll be taking a beginner's riding class at the local Harley Davidson dealer later this coming week. Already dropped it while unloading and broke some plastic on one side. So, I don't have to worry about the "first scratch".

View attachment 77902

View attachment 77903

View attachment 77904
Great.. You’re gonna be “one of them”...

Enjoy!

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I don't have the energy to search what that is now, but a newer enduro/dual sport would be a hoot... I want a 400-500cc version at some point but people are scary driving in vehicles around here... my old '81 Honda XL250 gets 60mpg but it's 6V and came from the factory with like 17hp... even a new 250 has almost twice that... the 6V factor (when/if the lights work they are dim...) has kept me from riding it since about 2017? I need to fix it up and either ride it or get rid of it...
It's a Kawasaki KLR 650. It's a dual sport bike. I'll be using it as a daily driver and also for exploring forest service roads up in the mountains and doing some of the same kind of exploring I do in the Ranger. But it should get much better fuel mileage.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
I could tell it's a dual sport, 650 ought to get you up and going nice, they're usually a bit heavier than the 400cc size but the suspension looks nice... jealous, but the idiots I mentioned scare me away

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Thing would sound killer with a pipe on it.

Loud pipes save lives!

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I could tell it's a dual sport, 650 ought to get you up and going nice, they're usually a bit heavier than the 400cc size but the suspension looks nice... jealous, but the idiots I mentioned scare me away
I thoroughly agree about the idiots. I live in an "almost out in the country" location and I can do my daily commute all on back roads. I don't like the idea of getting out on the interstate around here.

So far today, I have put 10 miles on it, mostly in the dead end street next to my house. Practicing low speed tight turns in the width of the street and in the cul de sacs. It also is on a hill. So I'm getting good practice with throttle/clutch/ brakes. The neighborhood across the road is just one long straight street. So I went over there and started practicing shifting gears. This is almost a perfect place to learn. I ride until I feel stressed out. Then take a break to cool off and get a drink. Then go out and do some more with increased confidence.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15

View attachment 77902

View attachment 77903

View attachment 77904
Welcome to the club. Broke both mirrors loading mine. I use two ramps and walk it up into the bed. First time went smooth as silk - right up in there. Second time, the ramp kicked sideways and the bike landed on top of me, breaking both mirrors. $10 fix on sleaze bay.

Attachments

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
I thoroughly agree about the idiots. I live in an "almost out in the country" location and I can do my daily commute all on back roads. I don't like the idea of getting out on the interstate around here.

So far today, I have put 10 miles on it, mostly in the dead end street next to my house. Practicing low speed tight turns in the width of the street and in the cul de sacs. It also is on a hill. So I'm getting good practice with throttle/clutch/ brakes. The neighborhood across the road is just one long straight street. So I went over there and started practicing shifting gears. This is almost a perfect place to learn. I ride until I feel stressed out. Then take a break to cool off and get a drink. Then go out and do some more with increased confidence.
Just what kind of drink would that be Eric?
Another shot of courage, or one for the road? :icon_rofl:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals