• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gasoline Alley

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Well, in Oklahoma ,the pump has to state what percentage of corn is in the gas. Only 10% and 85% as of now. They'd have to change the pumps to use 15%. I've never seen it here. There are more stations selling non-corn fuel than there are selling corn fuel here. And I run 93 octane in my LIGHTNING and my two bikes. Which is $5.29 currently. I run 89 in my Mustang and Ranger. Which can vary a lot, depending on where you go. $4.29 last time I filled the Stang, last week. All non-corn fuel. I don't run corn fuel as a rule. Sometimes I'll put a few gallons in the Ranger, when it starts acting up on starting. Always cures it.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If there wasnt a choice ( as in no other option, like if 15% E was all you could get ) would sta-bil counteract the E15 and save you from fuel system damage? Im sure it would kill my ‘94, The escape can handle it but the mpg’s go down. Im not sure about the hhr but I dont think its a flex-fuel compatible engine (or whatever gm calls that)
It’s possible. I haven’t had issues with E10 in my power equipment like some seem to and I use Sta-bil all the time for them. I also run them dry at the end of the season. So, that may be helping things.

The inly things that have fuel in them all the time is my generators and the chainsaw. But I make sure to run them at least 20 minutes every 3 months and swap out the fuel roughly once a year in order to make sure the fuel doesn’t go stale.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Even E10 has been a problem. I personally haven’t had a problem, maybe because I use stabil.

Anyway, it’s reputed to damage the fuel systems on air cooled engines. Motorcyclists especially love it and some go to extreme lengths to get non-ethanol gasoline for them. Last I heard, before Covid, 5 gallons of non-ethanol gas was $50. It’s probably a lot more now. I know those 1 gallon cans are about $15 at the Stihl dealership and the hardware store.
where you buying ethanol free gas? Ethanol free 91 has been available here forever, and it's under 5 bucks a gallon currently, in NY

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
where you buying ethanol free gas? Ethanol free 91 has been available here forever, and it's under 5 bucks a gallon currently, in NY
I don’t. A friend of mine was trying to get me to go buy some with him from some off road place north of us. That was the price he quoted.

The 1 gallon can price is just what I observed at a couple different places.

Thus why I stick with E10 and Sta-Bil for my power equipment.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I don’t. A friend of mine was trying to get me to go buy some with him from some off road place north of us. That was the price he quoted.

that sucks, I try to run the ethanol free premium in everything I own without a license plate, I guess I'm used to just having it available here for a reasonable price

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
The 1 gallon can price is just what I observed at a couple different places
That sounds like you're talking about ethanol free pre-mix for 2-stroke engines like weedeaters and chainsaws. Buying straight erhanol-free gas from the pump should be much cheaper. I think it's priced similar to 93 octane E10 around here. I'll find out soon. I need to fill my lawn mower gas cans before I mow again.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
That sounds like you're talking about ethanol free pre-mix for 2-stroke engines like weedeaters and chainsaws. Buying straight erhanol-free gas from the pump should be much cheaper. I think it's priced similar to 93 octane E10 around here. I'll find out soon. I need to fill my lawn mower gas cans before I mow again.
I believe you are correct.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
It 4.09 a gallon for ethanol free here

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Seems like there are not any gas stations that sell ethanol free around here beside at the race track.

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."

Last I checked www.pure-gas.org the closest place to me and you was in Butler. A while ago most Marathon stations were ethanol-free but I don't think that's the case any more.
I just finished my second straight tank of 89 from Get Go and the mileage was a solid 1 mpg better than I get with the E15 88 at Sheetz. 21 mpg with Get Go, 20 mpg with Sheetz E15. Get Go is Top Tier gas and Sheetz is not. I just signed up for Advantage Pay at Get Go that gets you 30 cents off.
I ran several tanks of everything last year and logged the mpg and found the lowest cost of operation is with Sheetz E15. Mileage is slightly better than plain 87 and it costs 30 cents less than 87 and 60 cents less than 89. At Get Go with my 30 cents off, 89 is about the same cost as 87 without Advantage Pay. So basically I run E15 when I can and 89 when I can't. I saw no increase in mpg running 93.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Last I checked www.pure-gas.org the closest place to me and you was in Butler. A while ago most Marathon stations were ethanol-free but I don't think that's the case any more.
I just finished my second straight tank of 89 from Get Go and the mileage was a solid 1 mpg better than I get with the E15 88 at Sheetz. 21 mpg with Get Go, 20 mpg with Sheetz E15. Get Go is Top Tier gas and Sheetz is not. I just signed up for Advantage Pay at Get Go that gets you 30 cents off.
I ran several tanks of everything last year and logged the mpg and found the lowest cost of operation is with Sheetz E15. Mileage is slightly better than plain 87 and it costs 30 cents less than 87 and 60 cents less than 89. At Get Go with my 30 cents off, 89 is about the same cost as 87 without Advantage Pay. So basically I run E15 when I can and 89 when I can't. I saw no increase in mpg running 93.
The additive mix might be different between Get Go and Sheetz but both get their fuel from the same depot in Midland. I’ve seen both trucks refueling there.

I also know a guy who used to deliver for them. He confirmed that the fuel for both stations come from the same place. I didn’t ask if the additive blend was the same.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Not sure of all of the places around with Ethanol free, but I know Purvis Brothers in Mars sells it along with their Planet Mart stations. Supposedly Rudolph’s down in Gibsonia buys theirs from Purvis. Last I checked, Purvis uses oil from PA for their fuels

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Not sure of all of the places around with Ethanol free, but I know Purvis Brothers in Mars sells it along with their Planet Mart stations. Supposedly Rudolph’s down in Gibsonia buys theirs from Purvis. Last I checked, Purvis uses oil from PA for their fuels
Purvis sounds familiar and Mars is right next to Cranberry. That might be where my friend goes for his bikes and ATVs.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
I renamed the thread. If you can drift, I can edit :thefinger:;missingteeth;:icon_rofl:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I renamed the thread. If you can drift, I can edit :thefinger:;missingteeth;:icon_rofl:
Or if you want, I could split the thread drift off to it’s own? Assuming I can remember how, lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals