• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gasoline Alley

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15
I was wondering if E15 gasoline would cause any damage to older vehicles. I have a 2004 and run E10. Everything seems to be ok (going on 100k [knock wood]). Any experts out there that can speak to this? Thanks.

Below citations are for reference and not a political statement :whistle:

"President Joe Biden will say Tuesday that the EPA will allow the sale this summer of gasoline with a higher percentage of ethanol than other fuels, senior administration officials said.
Lawmakers of both parties from the Senate and House have pushed the Biden administration to waive restrictions on E15 fuel, which contains up to 15 percent ethanol, a biofuel derived from feedstocks like corn, sugar cane or grass".

Biden to announce summer sales of 15 percent ethanol fuel blend - Roll Call

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Ford says no.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Do not use. They and Honda both say the fuel system isn’t designed for it and it will damage the system.

If you have a flex fuel vehicle, you are wide open for whatever but everyone else, unless the manual says you can use it, don’t.

It will damage the seals and hoses. It could cause corrosion in the metal lines and components.

Dirt Squirt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger FX4 L2
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks Joe, you just voided warranties on all gas powered equipment ever made. Ethanol is evil. Great for mower repair business though.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Even E10 has been a problem. I personally haven’t had a problem, maybe because I use stabil.

Anyway, it’s reputed to damage the fuel systems on air cooled engines. Motorcyclists especially love it and some go to extreme lengths to get non-ethanol gasoline for them. Last I heard, before Covid, 5 gallons of non-ethanol gas was $50. It’s probably a lot more now. I know those 1 gallon cans are about $15 at the Stihl dealership and the hardware store.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
Thanks Joe, you just voided warranties on all gas powered equipment ever made. Ethanol is evil. Great for mower repair business though.
Maybe your next vehicle will be electric. Isn't that the goal?

And just to confuse matters:
"E15 has been certified for use in any gasoline-powered car with a U.S.-certified emissions system from 2001 or newer, whether it’s flex fuel or not. To be clear, 90 percent of all vehicles on the road today fall into this 2001-and-up category, so chances are that’s your vehicle. Many people have used it in older cars too, but use in 2001 and newer has been tested and approved by the Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Energy. Older models were not tested due to variability and age".

Mechanics Corner: What You Need to Know About Using E15 - Vital | A news & media resource published by POET (vitalbypoet.com)

Last edited:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The idea is not to change all gas to E15, just to make E15 available in the summer months at gas stations that normally sell E15. At the moment they are able to sell E15 from Fall through spring because it supposedly causes more smog when it's hot outside.

And just to confuse matters:
"E15 has been certified for use in any gasoline-powered car with a U.S.-certified emissions system from 2001 or newer, whether it’s flex fuel or not. To be clear, 90 percent of all vehicles on the road today fall into this 2001-and-up category, so chances are that’s your vehicle. Many people have used it in older cars too, but use in 2001 and newer has been tested and approved by the Environmental Protection Agency and Department of Energy. Older models were not tested due to variability and age".
Certified for use from an emissions standpoint. As in the emissions system will still function correctly. Doesn't make any note of if any of your seals or filters ect will be effected.

Says right on the gas cap not to used any fuel with more then 10% ethanol.

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
235/75/15
Says right on the gas cap not to used any fuel with more then 10% ethanol.
I can't find anything on my truck that says that and the owner's manual doesn't address it. I'll stick with 10% or above. Thanks.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
If there wasnt a choice ( as in no other option, like if 15% E was all you could get ) would sta-bil counteract the E15 and save you from fuel system damage? Im sure it would kill my ‘94, The escape can handle it but the mpg’s go down. Im not sure about the hhr but I dont think its a flex-fuel compatible engine (or whatever gm calls that)

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
And i sold my last MULE!!

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
They sell E15 which is up to 15% ethanol where I live and the stickers on the pumps say only to use in 2001 and newer vehicles.
There is also E85 which the stickers on the pumps here say is 51% to 85% ethanol and to use only in Flex Fuel vehicles.
I've run E15 in my old '08 Sport Trac and my new '20 Ranger without issue, however....
Regular gas here is E10 anyway. Several years ago my Sport Trac suddenly started running rough and I got a CEL. I limped into the service station I used at the time where the owner showed me his brand new poster from BG additives with a photo of fuel injectors at 60,000 miles all clogged up from ethanol.
My Trac had, ta-dah, 61,000 miles. Apparently the extra ethanol absorbs water into the gas and it burns off at the injectors and can cause deposits and clog them.
This was before E15 was available, I had always used plain ol' 87 that was 10%. They cleaned the injectors and dumped a can of BG Water Remover in the tank and told me to run a bottle of fuel system cleaner like Chevron Techron at every oil change. I ran the Trac to 212,000 miles doing that and never had another problem even though later I often ran E15.
I run E15 in the new Ranger almost all the time since it's currently 30 cents cheaper than 87 and have no issues. Owners manuals for my old Trac and new Ranger say ethanol up to 15% (E15) is okay.
Based on personal experience and what I've read, I would do this:
1. If your vehicle is 2001 or newer, you will be fine.
2. If you've not run E15 before, after a couple tanks of it put on an new fuel filter.
3. Dump in a bottle of Chevron Techron Fuel System Cleaner every 5000 miles.
4. DO NOT run E85 Flex Fuel unless you have a 99+ 3.0 Ranger with the green leaf flex fuel emblem on the tailgate. My first Ranger was a '99 3.0 and so labeled although at that time flex fuel E85 was not sold in my part of the country anyway. Further, my wife has a Flex Fuel Chrysler minivan and she's tried E85 which is much cheaper but the mpg dropped enough that she didn't really save any money.

Sorry to run on.

Last edited:

ZMan

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
MTOTM Winner
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Rangers
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/4, bagged
Many sheetz sell E15 year round so I was kind of confused about the statement that it wasn't certified to be sold year round. I just started running it in my '13 F150 ecoboost, fuel filler says "E0-E15" so figured I'd save myself 30 cents a gallon untill prices drop and I put my 93 tune back on :dunno: My 2001 Honda says no though, but its steel tank, steel lines, and aluminum intake so I can see why.

TDI Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I wonder if all states will be affected? I may have to start testing all of my fuel. There are testers that will indicate the % of ethanol in gas. Ethanol is good for the repair business. I don't have any problem using E10 in a vehicle I use all the time, but no way in something that sits between use.

I made some pictures that may be interesting from a training textbook concerning the effects of ethanol. Basically what was taught to us was fuel is only designed to be fresh for about 2 weeks from the time it leaves the refinery. It is usually at the 2 week mark when it gets dropped at the gas station, therefore it is degrading every day after that point, causing deposits inside the engine.

No E15 for me. We need to drill rather than burning our food. Do any of us expect any intelligence from this current administration?

Attachments

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
E15... I wouldn't worry about it if it doesn't set too long.

No E15 for me. We need to drill rather than burning our food. Do any of us expect any intelligence from this current administration?
Actually giving a market to the surplus of corn the US grows isn't necessarily a bad thing.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals