• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gasket between upper and lower?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm pulling the plenum side of my intake manifold on my '97, 2.3L Ranger.

I've seen two types of gaskets (between the upper and lower intakes) for this.

One paper and another "Performaseal". Is paper the way to go, or might this other material be better.

Also, what type gasket sealer is used?

Thanks!

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
I do not know 'performaseal'. I've used Felpro all over the place with good success. The surfaces I have seen on the multiple parts are all machined such that a 'black paper' gasket seems to be all that is necessary. I don't see the need to spend the extra money on a 'performance' style gasket - unless - you are running a pressurized intake from a turbo or supercharge application. If the machined surfaces are clean, it is very possible to disassemble the intake and re-assemble it without the apparent need to replace gaskets at all. This does NOT work for all engines. The black paper gasket material on the Vulcan and Lima seem amenable to re-use. I have done it with no problem, but cannot guarantee it will work for everyone. When you go to re-assemble, you have to 'feel' the manifold part move into its old position, hold it there, and tighten the fasteners.
There is no need for excessive compression of the gasketry by hight torque. It doesn't take a lot of torque to get a good successful seal that will maintain for many miles.
tom

added: If you have any of the paper remaining on either side of the manifold, and need to use a razor blade or other to remove it, you must replace the gasket in 99.9% of the cases. If it comes apart cleanly, your choice depending on wallet and how confident you are.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals