• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

GAS TANK QUESTION RE: 94 2wd standard cab AUTO long bed

1996_XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XLT Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Just purchased 1st Ranger, it appears I have the SMALLER capacity tank, will the larger one just bolt in as a replacement without any changes??? Would like more capacity. AND is the hard quick shifting of these trans normal?

meck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 extended c
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've never tried to put the larger tank in one, but I don't know why you couldn't. i have a '94 with the larger tank and a '97 with the smaller. the extra capacity seems to be at the front of the tank. For me, I would stay with the smaller tank just for the ease of taking it off. The longer one is a pita to work out of its place. As for the transmissikn shifting, mine shifts very smoothly.

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
1996XLT:

If you want 23 gallons with a little effort, install an Bronco II fuel tank behind the rear axel; it requires that you lengthin the wiring/fuel lines a scosch and move your fuel fill access door to the rear. It is cheap, the difference between 17 gallons and 23 gallons is worth it.

From what I've read a full size Ford Bronco's 32 gallon fuel tank will also fit behind the rear axle; almost the same amount of effort and 15 extra gallons. Not plug and play by any standard but well worth it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals