• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gas prices?

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Soooo, who here is planning on ditchin the ranger if gas prices hit 5$ and remain there?

So far my plan is, if gas prices hit 4.50-5$ a gallon, Im giving it a max of two years, and if gas prices dont go back down Im going to be forced to trade in my ranger for somethin better on gas.

All i know, is my ranger with its 4.0 v6 wont be cutting it at 5$ a gallon.....at 3$ a gallon, a cool 20$ only brings the needle from an 8th of a tank to right at half a tank. Im already scared to fill the tank in fear of what the total will end up being. (probably damn near 55-60 bucks from empty)

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
The fun begins where the pavement ends
I've thought about ditching it if gas hits the $1.40/litre they say it will this summer. I hear it may not come back down around here but I have an issue believing that. Worst case scenario I'll pick up a little 4 cylinder runabout and keep the truck.

7.5L_STX

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
unnecessary
Transmission
Automatic
3.14 here in town, took about 60 bucks to fill up the f-150 the other day. :\

Bennybooster

EMT / Paramedic
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I unfortunately don't have the liberty to trade vehicles or get another one.....I'm just gunna ride it out

koda6966

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
3.31 is the highest in town, 3.23 seems to be the norm. Those are per gallon.

I'm expecting it to go down after the holidays, and then peak again for summer, then back down, then back up.

One thing I've noticed is it's cheaper to get gas at night. Some places hike them in the morning to get the heavy traffic through the day, and then lower them 3-5 cents in the afternoon to help lure customers in. Other places have .03-.05 incentives when you pay in cash. And then there's the good ol' Price Chopper card. I barely shop there other than lunch, and I still get .10 off every other week. My mother received a tank of full gas once. We ate good that month haha.

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I unfortunately don't have the liberty to trade vehicles or get another one.....I'm just gunna ride it out

Me niether, i mean, yeah i have money saved up....but its still going to set me back ALOT if i want to be anything new or near it.

Bascially, ill have to find the right time for the trade in, but ethier way ill be broke.

ethier i keep the truck, and be broke keeping its tank full.
Or, i buy a new or near new car and be broke making car payments, seeing how the ranger it 100% payed off.

You know, on second though, im thinking i might just keep my truck even at 5 a gallon....becuase somehow i doubt the much higher MPGs will negate the fact that i will then have a car payment...on top of the gas i still need for said car, which though cheaper then the ranger, still wont exactly be cheap in the tradiational sense at 5 a gallon.

frankserrano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
we're hovering about $3.00 even right now in this part of florida. and i just bought a 302 bronco :(

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
Considering I'm paying the equivalent of about $4.40/gal it's not really that awful keeping the Ranger full. So I might just keep a hold if it for a while longer. Keep in it tune all the time and the tires filled to the proper PSI. Little things to keep the mileage in check,

pontiac_fiero_g

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1988
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.9 pos/2.9
Transmission
Manual
no way this is the best truck ive ever owned. i am on the prowl for another focus and im just waiting on a good deal to be had.

gwaii

2010 OTOTY Winner
OTOTM Winner
2010 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
wah......

it's 139.9l here-that's 5.40us gal(i calculated at par-the canadian dollar is a little higher than the us one right now,but not by enough to make a big difference.)

i drive a stretched f350 everywhere.

get used to it.

03ranger4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
we're hovering about $3.00 even right now in this part of florida. and i just bought a 302 bronco :(
Yeah, im stationed on the naval base is Mayport, FL. and gas is about 3.00 here, the lowest ive seen so far is 2.99 at the citgo.

MountainMike

Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
245 CID
Transmission
Automatic
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
My credo
wah......

it's 139.9l here-that's 5.40us gal(i calculated at par-the canadian dollar is a little higher than the us one right now,but not by enough to make a big difference.)

i drive a stretched f350 everywhere.

get used to it.
The old truck used to drink shell v-power religiously, I'd paid damn near that for it. Pretty happy this truck enjoys good old 87 octane:D

I guess living on an island makes fuel just that much more expensive that having it all shipped up north.

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
Lol, just bought an 03 6.0L PSD F350...diesel is $1.20/liter right now...tank is 140L...yay me.

darkspork

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just did a few days ago. Gas is $3.19/gallon here. I did it to have my loan paid off sooner (I got more than I owed for the Ranger and traded down to a Ford Focus ZX3) more than I did it for fuel economy, but I eventually realized I was avoiding driving my truck because of the gas mileage. My payments are the same and I'm aiming to have it paid off by summer 2012. With that being said, I'm only saving $50/month on gas (x2 mpg, but I usually drive 500-800 miles/month), it will be more when gas prices go up.

If it's your intent to trade in your truck when gas prices go up, don't wait until it's painfully expensive, that's when you'll get peanuts for it and pay a pretty penny for an econo-box. This already happened in 2008, but it was due to speculation. Oil is a finite resource though, it will happen again, but perhaps not in the same fashion.

If your truck is paid off though, you won't be able to make sense out of trading it for something smaller until gas is well over $6/gallon (unless you drive over 2,000 miles/month). Also consider insurance hikes on something newer, more expensive to repair, and something you aren't getting a "vehicle experience discount" on (if your insurance company offers this).

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals