• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gas Mileage 5.0

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'm frustrated with MPG! I was getting near 16 with the A9L ECM (5.0/GT40P heads/Explorer Intake/3.73 gears/31" tires/M5ODR2 trans/EDIS ignition/no A/C) Only change was to install MegaSquirt MSPNP2 ECM. My tune looks good on all the plots and it runs great except for some stumbling at less than WOT at 2800-3200RPM. Now I'm getting 13MPG. I may have hit a wall in the HP vs. economy but I'd sure like to get a couple more MPG.

Attachments

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Basically the same truck here but with a 4bbl on a mutt Mustangish 5.0HO (E7 heads, HO cam, Weiand Stealth intake on a standard 5.0 with cast flat top pistons) and topper loaded heavy (two people and a bed full of gear) on my way to roundups I can get 18mpg @ 60mph pretty regularly.

It might take him a bit to get around here again but @PetroleumJunkie412 is really into the megasquirt stuff.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I should have mentioned that cruising speed here in Texas is 70-75. The little brick pushes a lot of air at that speed (2300RPM @ 75). I also have the HO cam.

Bird76Mojo

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Could be a difference in the factory A9L being sequential fire and the MSPNP2 being batch fire..?

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
That probably doesn't help, but seeing all the area on the AFR curve that's under the 14.7 range means you're burning more than necessary. Whether you're running closed loop or not you don't "need" to run at 14.7 +/- a little, for many areas you could run a little leaner and just have it richen up for acceleration. Being a certified emissions setup a stock computer is going to try to stay at stoich at all times unless near WOT or probably above 3000rpm.

I haven't played with any of the megasquirt stuff or anything automotive yet, my life is in the industrial world (that doesn't even get into power enrichment or open loop) or marine world that goes way rich at times to keep the valves cool... that and I'm using a full on computer running 8 coils and 8 injectors in that world...

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Basically the same truck here but with a 4bbl on a mutt Mustangish 5.0HO (E7 heads, HO cam, Weiand Stealth intake on a standard 5.0 with cast flat top pistons) and topper loaded heavy (two people and a bed full of gear) on my way to roundups I can get 18mpg @ 60mph pretty regularly.

It might take him a bit to get around here again but @PetroleumJunkie412 is really into the megasquirt stuff.
I'm sure I'll never attain 18mpg, but a constant 16 would be nice!

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, running that fast you are not doing that terrible. If you could get 16 before I would think you could get it again.

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I decided to do some research through the records I keep on my Ranger. I log every fill-up and maintenance I do on the truck in a notebook so I have lots of data and can see problems easier. The problem here is my memory! For the last 40,000 miles it looks like 13-14mpg is the average number. I hit 15 a couple times and 16 a couple. And, when I first started driving this thing to and from my hunting grounds I was cruising at 65 vs. 70-75 now.

Even after I converted to an aftermarket ECM, electric cooling fan, etc. it didn't change much. So I'm on a tuning binge right now. I created a new AFR table in Tunerstudio and reverted to MAF tuning. (I had gone back to my Speed Density tunes to see if they improved mileage--NO). I'm going to creep the timing up in the cruise areas and see what happens. I'll report back after a couple hundred miles of testing.

Attachments

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Am I seeing this right? That your VE table is consistently 100+?

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Also you're running crazy rich at high engine load... do you have your spark set that far in advance?

More fuel doesn't always equal more power...

Elutheros

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Am I seeing this right? That your VE table is consistently 100+?
That's because I'm running MAF tuning and since it's normally aspirated I never get beyond 100 MAP. My current tune VE1 and Ignition table are attached. I advanced the cruise ignition by 2 degrees and generated a new AFR table which I've beed tweaking as I review my datalogs. I am making progress! Back up to getting 140 miles on the first 1/4 tank instead of 120-130. The attached log was almost all cruise at 70mph with no hard acceleration--that's why it's almost all lean.

Attachments

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals