• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gas in my oil… still

trinogt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Running at idle, I get 32 psi fuel pressure. After shut down, it maintains 32 psi for about 30 minutes, but in an hour it drops to 20 psi… not sure if that’s normal or not. Dipstick looks like clean oil. Here’s a photo of sample as taken from oil pan.

Attachments

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Do unto others then Split-probasti me et chognuisti me
Have you tried to use a stethoscope to listen to the injectors after shut down. Might hear one bleed down. Only three places for pressure to go, FPR, injectors<<, HP fuel pump

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
If it were coolant... you could see it.

He said it smells like fuel.

I still think fuel pressure is the first thing you check. Usually a leaky/stuck open injector can be seen by the falling fuel pressure when you shut it off.
I was told losing all fuel pressure over night isn't an uncommon thing

trinogt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Have you tried to use a stethoscope to listen to the injectors after shut down. Might hear one bleed down. Only three places for pressure to go, FPR, injectors<<, HP fuel pump
I listened to the injectors while running, and listened to intermittent valve clatter, but I don’t know how long I’d be able to keep a stethoscope on any injector if it takes over an hour to bleed down? I still can’t rule out coolant- the smell could just be excessive hydrocarbons… I was hoping to see stratification in my oil sample, honestly lol. I’ll be running a compression test tomorrow on all six… I also think I need a new fan and clutch- I can stop the fan turning easily while hot with a rolled up newspaper. The poor thing sat too long I guess😞. Just to add, in recent years I put in a water pump, radiator, and I flushed it a couple weeks ago.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I was told losing all fuel pressure over night isn't an uncommon thing
It might not be uncommon... but it shouldn't be.

That's why every fuel system repair procedure begins with... relieve fuel system pressure.

If it does leak... going back towards the tank is one thing. Leaking in the cylinders is a different story.

I would pull the dipstick and put a drop of oil on my finger. If it is thinned out by fuel... it will spread real quick. You can just tell.

Strange... they don't make oil.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Sorry- somehow I’m not getting notifications of this thread, thought nobody cared 😞. Lol . I’ll post photo of fresh oil in a jar soon. It’s dark as heck!
My notifications are random. Sometimes I get too many, other times none.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
New development today- I installed a cold air intake- the original had a gaping hole in it that I taped up with electrical tape, and the junkyard didn’t turn up a suitable snorkel. I disconnected the battery for a few hours to clear the pcm. Then I started it and ran it awhile. That was yesterday. Today, I pulled the truck out of my working tent after installing drop suspension, and I let it run for a few minutes, maybe 20 minutes. I went inside the truck and noticed the temperature gauge had gone up to the M on normal, I’ve never seen it above “O” the last 15 times I started it. So now it seems it wants to overheat? Still no smoke from exhaust… it’s running in this photo
With a hole in the intake, the engine would be ingesting dirt and getting cylinder wear. As another member said, it could be rings.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I +1 the bad rings. That or a bad injector. I would try new injectors first.

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Let that jar of oil sit for a day or two and it will separate if there are different elements in it. If there is water in it, it will separate almost immediately. If the truck sit for a length of time the fuel system will have to be cleaned out. You've probably got more than one injector screen full of debris and they are stuck open. pouring alot of "cleaners" into the fuel tank will just make matters worse.

trinogt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Let that jar of oil sit for a day or two and it will separate if there are different elements in it. If there is water in it, it will separate almost immediately. If the truck sit for a length of time the fuel system will have to be cleaned out. You've probably got more than one injector screen full of debris and they are stuck open. pouring alot of "cleaners" into the fuel tank will just make matters worse.
The photo of oil was taken yesterday, but it has sat still for about three days now… Also, I removed the gas tank when I had the bed off to paint the cab, and installed a new fuel pump, fuel filter, and a section of hard plastic fuel line that had split causing a leak. I also replaced fuel injectors and regulator at that time.

trinogt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Thank you to all for the help so far!
I just did a compression test: Right bank, back to front 175,176,186.
Left bank, back to front, 185,180,180.
Tested multiple times each cylinder,
right bank first test of front cylinder was 210(afterward stayed 186),left bank rear cylinder first test was 205(afterward stayed 185). All the rest stayed the same throughout.
Impressions?
Spark plugs looked ok to me. Replacing them as I write this.

Attachments

dirtymike

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger lwb
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1 inch spacers
Tire Size
P23575R15
My credo
Looks like good compression. I do it with all spark plugs removed. Im not to keen on the bleed down test. Never done it. Plugs look lean enough, light brown to white (spares). Where the fluid (fuel) is coming from is hard to tell, you replaced all the fuel system with "NEW" parts. Fuel pressure runs around 32 to 40 depending on demand, idle 30 to 32. Some say forever, aint never had one hold much past a month, but that's just me. I would investigate those "NEW" parts you have replaced. Dirty

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
+1 in new parts suspect. You probably got crappy injectors right out of the box. I notice in rock Auto some injectors are $50 each while others are $50 for the set. A lot of junk parts out there today.

trinogt

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
+1 in new parts suspect. You probably got crappy injectors right out of the box. I notice in rock Auto some injectors are $50 each while others are $50 for the set. A lot of junk parts out there today.
Yeah, I probably bought the latter lol! The biggest problem I have, is that the crank case was filling up with the old injectors installed, and putting new injectors in and I have the same problem. I am looking at odds here? So frustrating. Now today, I started having what sounds like lifter noise! I just can’t win. When the lifter makes noise, the idle gets rough at the same moment. I read somewhere in here that the lifters are usually not the problem with this engine, but that worn rocker arms and push rods are a common issue?

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Probably unrelated, just a bad luck streak. Yea they pushrods aren't very good at moving oil to the top end.
Are you sure its not just the infamous 4.0 tick? Mine ticks for a few mins when cold, then goes away for the day.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals