• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Gas Gas everywhere, not a drop affordable...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Wow...

Lets clear a few things up, shall we?

Yes, the dollar is weak right now. No, it is not the sole reason for the increased prices. At some point the dollar will come back in strength, it always has in the past. The real problem for the current situation of the dollar and the economy is due to banks and other lending institutions making loans to people that never really should have had them to begin with. When those people started to get to a point where they couldn't pay their bills and reposessions started, the market became flooded with houses and other goods... and a ton of people looking to replace what got taken from them. I could go on, but I"ll save that for later.

Gas has gone up in price partly because the Arabs are charging us more for a barrel of oil than before, they have increased production but not enough to cover what they are now selling other countries like China, and because of our refinery situation. Recent reports I've heard are saying that China's government is subsidizing the cost of gas... their citizens are buying gas for around $0.10 a gallon! Of course, that price can't last forever, but it's encouraging to their population to be wasteful with it, which causes a demand that the Arabs are eager to fill, which means less fuel for us.

Our refinery situation is a real mess. Different "blends" for different areas of the country cause an increased cost in refining gasolines because if the plant that produces for one area has a surplus and that in another area is short, the wonderful EPA says that you can't ship the surplus to the other area of the country. Not to mention most of our refineries are quite outdated and wasteful because of old worn out technology being used, but you guessed it, the EPA and a few enviromentalist nuts are preventing new refineries here, lets just have the Arabs refine it for us...brilliant. :annoyed:

And before anyone points to big oil and their profits... have you actually looked to see what the oil companies make per gallon in profit? Have you looked to see what the government makes per gallon via taxes? It varies by location but I heard one local report give that oil companies make around 12% in profit... government (local/state/fed) gets more like double that... so who is really making off with our money?

Rising fuel costs are affecting a lot of things, but like has been stated, it has not fully filtered down yet. People are reluctant to raise prices because they are partly afraid that a rise in the price will cause people to stop buying in large enough numbers to cause a company serious problems. It is also partly because people are hoping that this will be a short-term problem and the price of fuel will drop back down soon. (it costs a company money to re-price things, thus they don't really want to raise it a big jump now and then have to take it back down in 6 months or a year). Plus there is the problem that while prices are starting to creep up like a bad set of underwear, wages are staying the same. Until wages go up (and thus the total cost of doing business), many people simply cannot afford to pay prices that increase much more.

hihoslvr

Banned
--- Banned ---
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'04
Make / Model
F.O.R.D.
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The question is what do you buy at the grocery store? I buy bottled water(gallong jugs, the stackable kind at wal-mart) and canned foods at a Buy-Lows.

A big reason oil and gas prices are hitting record highs is that the dollar is hitting record lows. Got it?
Well not to keep pickin' on ya Oilpatch, but those plastic jugs are made from oil, so stand by. I don't know how the water is in your local area, but buying water, that has been trucked in from some distant local, seems rather foolhardy to me. Of course, if you are an oil man, well then, $$$!

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
refinery's thats a big part of are problem. We dont have enuff.

I rember a few years back when that sheek/prince or whom ever was from saudi came to the states when gas was just starting this over price crap. He made the stament that the US needs more refinery's to support a bigger volume of crude oil.And said why not build some on are old mill bases since the greenies scream,refinery's will polute the ground etc. and the old bases are allready "poluted". But as normal that got shot down.as something stupid lived there,was there.or could happen to be there as soemtime.

I rember that sheek saying 4 more refinery's would = 1.25 a gallon gas. .80cent diesel.

and I agree with john colman. Global warming's a crock of shit.

skippy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.8l durasparked rice killer
Transmission
Manual
refinery's thats a big part of are problem. We dont have enuff.

I rember a few years back when that sheek/prince or whom ever was from saudi came to the states when gas was just starting this over price crap. He made the stament that the US needs more refinery's to support a bigger volume of crude oil.And said why not build some on are old mill bases since the greenies scream,refinery's will polute the ground etc. and the old bases are allready "poluted". But as normal that got shot down.as something stupid lived there,was there.or could happen to be there as soemtime.

I rember that sheek saying 4 more refinery's would = 1.25 a gallon gas. .80cent diesel.

:secret:

OilPatch197

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984/87
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
When is the last time since they banned R-12 that you've heard about the Ozone hole?
The thinning Ozone layer?

Ok, did we fix it? or did the greenies get their way with bogus science, and then swept the story under the rug?
If we still have the problem, it wasn't Freon- was it? If the Ozone is growing back, shouldn't we have heard something about it?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals