• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Garbage replacement parts

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
So I have an 11 Ford Edge... seems like every time I fix it... I have to fix it again.

Action Auto alternator... I've replaced the alternator three times. It will still turn to idiot light on intermittently. They won't give me another one.

Over the summer the radiator started to leak... I tried to get one local... but ended up buying a Spectre radiator on Amazon. I got it quicker then ordering from local stores and it was about half the price. Fast forward to last Friday... my daughter calls and said the car was overheating. I went an rescued her and found the upper left corner where the tank meets the core was leaking. My daughter can't find the radiator in her order history... it seems it just vanished... weird. With no time really... I had her order another new one and will try to figure out the warranty with the leaky one with Amazon.

So it arrived yesterday and get to spend a couple three hours today replacing the radiator again! It isn't that bad of a task... but it certainly isn't the easiest radiator to replace. I'm just tired of having to replace these garbage parts...

At least the weather is going to cooperate today

Grumpaw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
Stock 225/70/15
My credo
I don't count birthday's anymore...just happy to be looking down at the ground instead of looking up
Sorry about your problems, but it just proves the old adage,
Buy good stuff once, buy garbage stuff 2 or 3 times.
We buy a lot of stuff on Amazon, from household to vehicle parts to stuff for our motor home. But we only buy name brand quality items,
You may want to try to contact Amazon about a refund for the radiator if there was any kind of warranty. She may not be able to find it in order history, but a call to Amazon Help Line could help.
Grumpaw

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Interesting... I just searched for a Motorcraft replacement radiator.

Turned one up for about $40 more plus $10 shipping then I paid for the other. I did see them range up well north of $300.

A little late now as the replacement is here... but I'm certainly going to do a more through search before I buy anything else. But then... do you buy the $350 or $140 Motorcraft?

Still isn't an excuse for some of the junk they sell these days.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
It really seems to me that the cheaper parts didn't used to be as bad, quality wise, as they are now. I'm the world's biggest cheapskate, but these days I look for the best price on the "good name" parts. And- I don't feel bad at all about spending the extra money for Motorcraft versus Acme.
It also helps that I've developed a good relationship with the local, privately-owed (single-location) parts store. I know exactly what I want when I walk in, I've already looked at much it goes for over the internet with shipping (which I share with them), and they in turn give me the best price that they can. Even if the best they can do is a couple of bucks difference, they get my business. It's a win-win for both of us- no hassle or pain on either side.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, "new" used to mean tested and working

Now-a-days it means never tested, or used before, so "new"

In the past labor was cheap and materials were expensive, its now reversed for most products, labor is now the biggest expense

Motorcraft, or pretty much any car maker's brand, IS TESTED, they still pay extra for the Quality Control, the labor to test a part before it is boxed and sent out, because they can't afford to assemble thousands of vehicles with untested parts.
Bad parts still happen, i.e. recalls, lol, but less likely

So the extra cost of a Motorcraft part is the labor for testing it.
And also required now-a-days, the documentation of where the materials came from to make the part and that local labor laws were being followed, i.e. no "child labor" or "sweatshops"
Most, if not all, larger Brands try to avoid bad press

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
It really seems to me that the cheaper parts didn't used to be as bad, quality wise, as they are now. I'm the world's biggest cheapskate, but these days I look for the best price on the "good name" parts. And- I don't feel bad at all about spending the extra money for Motorcraft versus Acme.
It also helps that I've developed a good relationship with the local, privately-owed (single-location) parts store. I know exactly what I want when I walk in, I've already looked at much it goes for over the internet with shipping (which I share with them), and they in turn give me the best price that they can. Even if the best they can do is a couple of bucks difference, they get my business. It's a win-win for both of us- no hassle or pain on either side.
I sure wish there was still one of those places around here. The last good one closed up about two years ago when Autozone and O'reilys opened up within a half mile.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Yes, "new" used to mean tested and working

Now-a-days it means never tested, or used before, so "new"

In the past labor was cheap and materials were expensive, its now reversed for most products, labor is now the biggest expense

Motorcraft, or pretty much any car maker's brand, IS TESTED, they still pay extra for the Quality Control, the labor to test a part before it is boxed and sent out, because they can't afford to assemble thousands of vehicles with untested parts.
Bad parts still happen, i.e. recalls, lol, but less likely

So the extra cost of a Motorcraft part is the labor for testing it.
And also required now-a-days, the documentation of where the materials came from to make the part and that local labor laws were being followed, i.e. no "child labor" or "sweatshops"
Most, if not all, larger Brands try to avoid bad press
I understand that... and if there were more time (my daughter needs the car) I would send this one back and try my luck with a Motorcraft part.

I know I will be a bit more careful when buying parts on the internet... and I thought I already was.

Life is always teaching us lessons...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I still buy 3rd party parts if they are easily replaced, or not critical parts, no reason not to save money

But if its hard to replace and critical, like a fuel pump, I would rather only do it the one time

I have always used 3rd party radiators, just been lucky I guess, never had an issue with these replacements

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Me too... never even considered a Motorcraft Radiator.

The entire thing is just frustrating... I finally have a day off and all I wanted to do was work on my tire carrier and just my truck in general. Maybe even take a damn nap... but nope. Fix something I fixed about 6 months ago.

Dirtman

Former Middleweight Moss Fighting Champion
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
It's up there.
Total Drop
It's down there.
Tire Size
Round.
My credo
I poop in the furnace.
I honestly don't know how places like autozone stay in business anymore. The parts they sell are so god awful anymore it baffles me that customers still shop there. I'll buy oil and what not from them and usually if I need a part I'll at least check to see if they have a name brand. Usually the name brand parts however (motorcraft, bosch, etc) have to be ordered and they try to sell you their house brand reman garbage.

I had them order me EBC pads once. The guy says "You know, you can get 2 new loaded calipers for the same price as these pads" so I said "my calipers are fine, thanks". And he says "yea buy why not just replace them if it's the same price".

I shook my head and said because MY brake calipers are fully functional OEM ford calipers. What YOU have in that mystery box is spray painted remanufactured junk that probably doesn't work. I'll take a known good used part over a new mystery part any day.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I go to AutoZone and Advance Auto Parts for filters and fluids or if I need a tool quickly to finish a job. I might get the occasional part from them but only if they have a proper name brand part in stock. If I have to wait, I might as well order it online. NAPA isn't any better anymore either and more often than not, they need to order just about anything I want that Advance and AutoZone already have in stock.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I lot of the chain stores try to run the Price Club(yes I am that old) and Costco business models

They don't pay for the parts they stock, the manufacturer stocks the shelves free
Then when they sell a part they have 30days to pay for it
Motorcraft wouldn't go for that, if you want to stock a part then you buy it, which is why they can order the part but don't stock it, they order it, and have 30 days to pay, and get it in a day or 2 and you pay for it and they they pay Motorcraft

Costco doesn't own one item in their stores, thats the deal if you want to sell your product in Costco then you have to supply the product and they only pay after its been sold

Last edited:

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I worked on a number of Dillards stores doing expansions and remodels. Those stores lease space to the manufacturers, who install(or supply) every display in it and stock them, wall to wall. The store is totally paid for before it ever opens the doors

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
I've started buying used oem parts on eBay from junkyards. It's a fraction of the price of a questionable remanufactured part and usually much better. My wife's Acura MDX needed a new power steering pump about a year ago. Oem pumps were something like $500 new. The chain stores had remanufactured versions for around $300 but the reviews were horrifying on every one I checked into. Grabbed a low mileage unit on eBay with a 90 day warranty for about $60 and it's worked perfectly ever since.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
I've started buying used oem parts on eBay from junkyards. It's a fraction of the price of a questionable remanufactured part and usually much better. My wife's Acura MDX needed a new power steering pump about a year ago. Oem pumps were something like $500 new. The chain stores had remanufactured versions for around $300 but the reviews were horrifying on every one I checked into. Grabbed a low mileage unit on eBay with a 90 day warranty for about $60 and it's worked perfectly ever since.
No joke, thats how I built KaP, but opposite - I sell a TON of parts over eBay because of the failing business models with auto parts.

Every time I go to the U-Pull, I spend 15-20 minutes in the parking lot cruising ebay, or will quickly google expensive looking parts in the JY. Quick look over ebay sales history, double check price through JY (actually carry a spreadsheet in my phone), and pull or leave. GT40 Expo intakes are an EASY moneymaker, same with things like GM superchargers, Benz electrical items, BMW interior stuff, VW boost stuff.... etc. Mitsubushi Evo turbos bring a mint. Same with some Volvo (Volvo and Mitsu turbos are interchangable - same ones, just different stamps, and diffferent flanges on some Volvo) Hint hint...

I do know of two guys that earn a very good living out of that yard. One scavanges import stuff, the other one (and I LOVE this idea) carrys 100lb feed sacks around with him and takes all the interior trim pieces that are easy to break, AC vents, underhood caps, etc. from everything he walks passed on half off or all you can carry days. Lists it all on ebay, wash, rinse, repeat. Said its his only job, and he was driving a brand new F150 King Ranch...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals