• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Garbage replacement parts

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Give 'yer balls a tug. Fight me.
Oh, and SEATS in any zippy import that are clean (or can be cleaned - wringer washer and griots go a long way here) and have airbags intact - those focus seats I tried to make fit should fetch 300 - 500 locally, picked for 28. Worst case 272 profit. Buys a lot of stuff for a ranger. Megasquirt came from a m90 and some fiero plastics.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Interesting... I just searched for a Motorcraft replacement radiator.

Turned one up for about $40 more plus $10 shipping then I paid for the other. I did see them range up well north of $300.

A little late now as the replacement is here... but I'm certainly going to do a more through search before I buy anything else. But then... do you buy the $350 or $140 Motorcraft?

Still isn't an excuse for some of the junk they sell these days.
The world works in mysterious ways.

I picked up a cast aluminum GT-500 diff cover on Amazon for $70. It was the Motorcraft replacement one. They also had the Ford Racing one (same part, maybe different packaging?) for $150.

I got one before they caught their goof.

The bolt kit was $30 I was going to go back and get them after I modded the cover to fit, they caught me on that. I showed them and used SS ARP bolts.

I honestly don't know how places like autozone stay in business anymore. The parts they sell are so god awful anymore it baffles me that customers still shop there. I'll buy oil and what not from them and usually if I need a part I'll at least check to see if they have a name brand. Usually the name brand parts however (motorcraft, bosch, etc) have to be ordered and they try to sell you their house brand reman garbage.
Brake lines/fittings are nice to see the real things. Electrical connectors on a whim are nice too.

I am kinda stuck between a rock and a hard place though. Same day warranty is nice. But then I had to replace the starter twice within a couple weeks on F-150... and then I got to thinking maybe I could walk 10mi to work a few days and wait for a good part...

ExploreNW

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
Tire Size
235/75/15
One local JY has paid pullers and you just wait in the lobby while they pull your parts. I never thought about yanking them and doing the selling myself...

That said. I will take a junkyard part with 200,000 miles on it before I take a new part from most dealers. Dorman's quality has gone downhill. They're good for the off-the-shelf stuff like filters, hoses, fuses, bushings, that's it. I can't even get spark plug wires that keep their little plug sockets crimped on anymore.

I'm lucky enough to live about 15 mins from the nearest Napa warehouse. They have a will-call desk that is basically the holy grail of all Napa. You walk in, you'll notice it looks like a regular store, except this one stocks EVERY. SINGLE. PART. in the region. Their top end lines aren't bad but steer clear of their "Mileage Plus" line, which is essentially their base model Chinese BS. Between the JY and Napa I built my Ranger. Haven't waited a day for a single part since.

^Not a paid endorsement or an endorsement period.

ret_Marine2003

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
No greater friend, no worse enemy...
There are a lot of counterfeit parts out there online and even in stores.
I have seen it myself.

Moog, AC DELCO, MOTORCRAFT, MOPAR, etc...
Painted parts with no marking at all that look just like the cheapest parts that you could buy.

If it seems too good to be true...

I have had good luck buying old stock from dealerships and parts stores.

I purchased the old inventory from a hardware store that has been closed for nearly 20 years recently and opened in 1890.

Some of those parts were made in the 1930's.
Most were made between the 1960's through the 1980's.

Check out those places that used to be overpriced.
Inflation evens things out in time.

Last edited:

88workcar

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XL
Transmission
Manual
Lessons learned here for me too:
1. ignition coil, auto parts "Blue" coil, junk
2. CTS autozone part, junk, waiting on motorcraft now.

through the years I have had decent luck with Autozone parts tho.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Some of those parts were made in the 1930's.
Most were made between the 1960's through the 1980's.
So... This is a sincere reply.

If you have ANYTHING out of that mix that fits a 53-54 coronet, I will buy it. Parts are very hard to find, and I have one.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

If you have ANYTHING out of that mix that fits a 53-54 coronet, I will buy it. Parts are very hard to find, and I have one.
Try finding anything besides drivetrain parts for an LTD II...

ret_Marine2003

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock
Total Drop
Stock
Tire Size
235/75/15
My credo
No greater friend, no worse enemy...

I have some parts for an original 6v car.
Many people convert to 12v.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Yes, "new" used to mean tested and working

Now-a-days it means never tested, or used before, so "new"

In the past labor was cheap and materials were expensive, its now reversed for most products, labor is now the biggest expense

Motorcraft, or pretty much any car maker's brand, IS TESTED, they still pay extra for the Quality Control, the labor to test a part before it is boxed and sent out, because they can't afford to assemble thousands of vehicles with untested parts.
Bad parts still happen, i.e. recalls, lol, but less likely

So the extra cost of a Motorcraft part is the labor for testing it.
And also required now-a-days, the documentation of where the materials came from to make the part and that local labor laws were being followed, i.e. no "child labor" or "sweatshops"
Most, if not all, larger Brands try to avoid bad press
As the guy who had to fix vibrating Fairmonts 40 years ago,I read a vibration manual that Ford produced to help us fix the problems they built. It would often say to "substitute a known good part" as a diag step and clarified the comment with "new doesn't mean good, new means new". I will agree that defective parts are way more common now. I've seen "made in China" printed on boxes from Ford, Raybestos, Napa, A/C Delco, Dorman, Edelbrock, and several other formerly good brands.

PetroleumJunkie412

Official TRS EV Taunter
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9l Trinity
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo

b1pig

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
When I was a kid, we pretty much drove junk. Its all we had, so we kept them running, often with junk yard parts. We once had a Nissan Sentra that screwed 3rd & 4th synchros in it. My dad found a 5spd transaxle for $100.... cheaper than the cost of the synchros at the time. We figured we'd have an upgrade since our car had a 4spd.... Well... it would kick out of 5th. LOL.... but at least we had 4 solid gears. Lasted the rest of that car's life. Honestly we rarely had to return new parts. Even the reman stuff like starters and alternators that we would get. Over the years mainly though my job where we see many cars rack thousands of miles... "new" crap doesn't work like it's supposed to all too often.

I'll buy most of my warranty concern parts from a local Auto Zone. Mainly because I've interacted with the employees for years. They know me. Anything that might be a warranty part, I buy there because like it's been said... "new" crap seems to fail all the time right out of the box these days. Fiddly stuff like trim clips, trim pieces, "wear parts" that won't be covered under a warranty... I buy online most of the time. I still like being able to examine the parts with my eyes and hands. There are still times when a listed part isn't the right part. Granted I don't have a FrankenJeep anymore, so its not as difficult anymore.

At work, I've driven numerous vehicles over the years. I was taken kicking and out of a 2017 Charger and shoved into a 2016 Tahoe. I've had it in the shop 7 times for a multitude of issues since July. It consumes no less than 2 quarts of oil between oil changes... but Chevy claims it's fine. I call it the 2-stroke Chevy.:giggle:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Last spring I needed a breaker plate for the distributor in the 70 Mach I Cobra Jet my former employer brought to me. I was surprised that Rock auto had one and ordered it, only to find that it was made in China and the pivot pin was poorly staked in place and loose. I returned it. The Napa online site showed one with made in U.S.A. stamped on it so I ordered one of theirs. It was the same Chinese P.O.S. I got from Rock. I restaked the pivot pin to tighten it up and installed it. Two weeks later I drove out to his house because the car wouldn't start and found the pin had loosened up and closed the points. I opened them up so it would run temporarily and found a NOS Ford plate still in the box at Carlisle. It's a shame that a new Chinese part is so inferior to a 40+ year old Ford part. It must be a coincidence that the NOS part was made in U.S.A. because magazines like Consumer Reports will tell you how much better the foreign crap is.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not defending cheaply made parts, but......................

Unless the writing on the box it came in was in Chinese then a Company sent the specs to a factory, the factory made prototypes that were approved, then made the part, and shipped over the parts in boxes, which were sampled and approved for sale.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals