• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FX4 Transfer Case, Manual, '03

Scrambler82

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/EDGE
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
4.5" SL
Total Drop
WWWhhhaaattt !?!
Tire Size
33 x 12.50
HELP !

How much is a Manual T/C from an '03 FX4, unknown milage, and without Lever. worth ?

How do I tell if it is from an FX4 ?

Is it worth getting from an FX4 ?

thanks

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
You can tell if it's the 02-03 FX4 1354M because it'll have the stupid 'bucket' style CV front output on it and it'll have a shift lever sticking out of the case near that bucket front output. That's about the only dead giveaway. All manual tcases will not have threads for the shift motor, and it'll have a shift lever sticking out of the case(97 and older cases have a stud sticking out and a bolt on lever whereas 02-03 Fx4 would have just the bracket sticking out of the case).

I've got a blown up 02-03 Fx4 1354M that I could take pics of later if you'd like.

I paid $60 for mine from a junkyard. It's worth it....4x4 NO MATTER WHAT....no shift motor or switch failures to worry about. But if you're a manual trans.....goodfreakin' luck finding the trans tailhousing with the speed sensor and the threaded bungs for the tcase linkage.

Honestly...if I were in your shoes....I'd just pass on that tcase. And get a Exlorer manual 1354...and run a 95-97 explorer front shaft......if you do that, there's no need for the superlift shaft for that superlift kit you're planning. But if you've already got the SL shaft in the budget, go ahead and grab this case.

Last edited:

c_note

September 2009 OTOM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger/Explorer
Engine Size
4.0 sohc
Transmission
Manual
i like these transfer cases! i had a custom driveshaft built for $250 for the cv style output. the shaft only uses 4 of the six bolt holse and believe it or not, its plenty strong.

i recently had to replace my tranny and when i got it replaced, they( Blumenthals in OKC) had 6 of them in stock. for some odd reason, i recieved the only one of the six that they had without the tapped holes for the linkage on the tailhousing. i was in too much of a hurry to even bother checking but i went back and they said that the other 5 they had where what i needed including the speed sensor.

i know that they will sell the tailhousing seperate if you send them the core. they have great customer service.

i sure hope you didnt buy the drive shaft from SL cuz u can get one made for less money.

Fx4wannabe01

February 2010 OTOTM Winner
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I sure as hell didn't waste the $500 on the SL shaft! lol. Built it for $200. lol.

That's REALLY rare if that place you got yours from had 'tons' with the speed sensor AND the bungs for the linkage...that was only offered for 2 years in the top of the line model that had the manual(your truck is an example of that truck, c_note) and I've only ever seen two in my 3+ years of junkyard hopping. Mosy cases the '00 and older manuals trans have the bungs but no speed sensor, and most cases the 01+ are speed sensor no bungs.....I think all autos have the threads for the linkage.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals