• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FX4 Level 2 Axle Swap

William Spitzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
I just wanted to make sure before I spend the money, but i've found an FX4 Level 2 in the junkyard 04ish with 87k miles, It's geared 4:10. I just want to know if theres any major problems i will have with bolting it in my truck (94 4x2 5 speed I have a 7.5 geared 3:73 open now)I assume the driveshaft and everything bolts up the same, the only thing I would be worried about is brakes. I couldnt get a good look at any of it because it was sitting on the ground, and I don't want to keep going back to the yard, because the price he gave me reflects having L/S and not a real locker, just dont want to show too much intetest.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The one thing that comes to mind is the housing is larger and you will need the larger U-bolts and brackets to attach to the leaf springs. I think everything else should work fine but I don't know that for sure.

One thing you should be aware of if this is a 02 FX4 Torsen axle. There was a recall on the early axles with manual transmissions. Ford chose not to recall the automatic transmission driven Torsen axles but they still have the same weakness. Apparently Ford felt the automatic did not create as much stress on the axle to cause it to fail. Many of those early Torsen axles still failed with an automatic transmission.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
It's not a real locker, but it is a very nice gear driven L/S. Some early ones had problems, I think some were replaced by a more standard clutch type L/S. If it's still intact it should last a long time behind your engine. 80K miles isn't a lot, as well as being 2 years after the first units.

Just get the u-bolts and spring plates with it as well. Brakes are pretty standard Ranger brakes (10in). The pilot hub might be different for the 31 spline but they're special Ranger length shafts so they might have the ranger size hub. Either way, specify drums for the donor truck or cross reference the part numbers at the auto store.

William Spitzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
It's not a real locker, but it is a very nice gear driven L/S. Some early ones had problems, I think some were replaced by a more standard clutch type L/S. If it's still intact it should last a long time behind your engine. 80K miles isn't a lot, as well as being 2 years after the first units.

Just get the u-bolts and spring plates with it as well. Brakes are pretty standard Ranger brakes (10in). The pilot hub might be different for the 31 spline but they're special Ranger length shafts so they might have the ranger size hub. Either way, specify drums for the donor truck or cross reference the part numbers at the auto store.
I'll pop the cover off and make sure its all intact for sure. Also thanks for the heads up, I always thought they were a locker. And i'll probably rebuild the brakes from master cyl. to drums, since i'll have the whole axle off.

i just feel like I'd be better off with something like this than putting any money into my 7.5".

OldRedB2_84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wish you weren't so far away, I'd love to have the shift bezel and tcase shift lever off that fx4 if its still there...

William Spitzer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
Wish you weren't so far away, I'd love to have the shift bezel and tcase shift lever off that fx4 if its still there...
It was allready gone unfortunately (also was an automatic) I figured I'd snag it and put it on here. I'm pretty sure it was a real level 2, which is one reason i wanna get this axle out and look inside, im just really curious if its legit.

OldRedB2_84

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Dang! Yeah some were autos, hopefully that axle is the real deal. Good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals