• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FX-4 or not?

Kevin S

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Original Posters Reply:

Thanks for all of the responses. I think I'm gonna test drive a few of the 2020's and make a last minute decision regarding the FX-4.

To gw33gp & sgtsandman: My 2000 Ranger was garage kept and has just over 100k. I'd really like to keep it but within the last year and a half I've had the frame welded twice. These Chicago winters, with all of the salt on the streets, have really done a number on the underside. This has me worried. However, even with the frame issues I have friends waiting in line to buy it from me when I'm ready to let it go. I've taken exceptionally good care of this truck by fixing things as soon as they went bad and by keeping the interior and body super clean. I really hate to think of letting it go but 20 years was a good run AND I do like new toys!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
One thing you may want to consider with your new truck. Don’t get the standard undercoat for one. They tend to trap moisture and cause things to rust away unseen because the undercoat looks to be intact. Get the truck sprayed with fluid film every year instead. It leaves everything visible and leaches into all the nooks and crannies. It sucks to have to do it every year but you always know the condition of your truck and frame and it’s a natural based product (Lanolin).

Just a suggestion.

If you decide to do it yourself, figure on about 5 or 6 spray cans to get the job done. It will take a little bit of practice to get the application process down and minimize the mess. The stuff will wash out of your clothes easily as well. There are kits available to make the job easier as well.

Good luck with whichever truck you decide to go with.

r1ch999999

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
One thing you may want to consider with your new truck. Don’t get the standard undercoat for one. They tend to trap moisture and cause things to rust away unseen because the undercoat looks to be intact. Get the truck sprayed with fluid film every year instead. It leaves everything visible and leaches into all the nooks and crannies. It sucks to have to do it every year but you always know the condition of your truck and frame and it’s a natural based product (Lanolin).
I didn’t do that this year, I got my 19 in January, but I plan on doing it before next winter.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
"Run it as long as it's practical. A paid for vehicle with an occasional repair, even a big one, is still less expensive than a vehicle payment."

I agree with that but I do want a vehicle that is very reliable. I go to some very remote places and can't risk breakdowns. So far It has done very well for me but I know at some point things will become more difficult to maintain due to age overall and availability of parts.

I don't mind the cost of getting a new vehicle but it takes time to get a vehicle set up to do what I want comfortably. I think by the time I am ready for a new Ranger, there will be a lot of options out there for me to consider.

I live in SoCal and undercoating is not a requirement. My FX4 has zero rust issues. I was in Kansas during a blizzard a couple years ago and think I drove over some salted roads. When got home I thoroughly hosed down the underside and hope I got all the salt off of it. So far so good.

Last edited:

Kevin S

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
sgtsandman - Thanks for the Fluid Film suggestion. I really like the idea of being able to SEE underneath. Without your suggestion I probably would have gotten some sort of tar type undercoating.

After reading your post I did a little research on Fluid Film and found a post on another message board by a guy who also lives in the Chicago area and has the same salt/rust concerns as I do. He agrees that Fluid Film is the way to go. However there are no shops in our area that offer Fluid Film application. The closest FF dealer is 3 ½ hours away in Michigan. Regarding the DIY route he points out that Fluid Film comes in two different consistencies, NAS which is thicker and used by commercial undercoaters and AS which is in the spray cans and used by do-it-yourselfers. Apparently the AS is thinner and, quoting his post, “does not stand the test of time over the winter.” I also found, in that same thread, that the NAS type is available retail but is so thick that you’d need a special applicator sprayer to apply it. I’m not that much of a DIYer when it comes to cars so I’d prefer having a pro shop do the work. I don't have a lift or even own ramps. In order for me to spray the underside with cans I’d have to creeper under the truck which I’m sure would make the job messy.

Another suggestion I found was for a product called Corrosion Free. It too is transparent and sounds like another version of Fluid Film. This one has a dealer that is only an hour away. The cost is about $350 and is warrantied for 18 months.

Not sure what I’ll do yet but thanks again for the undercoating suggestion.

Perhaps the second half of this thread should be moved to another Topic Heading ….

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I don't mind the cost of getting a new vehicle but it takes time to get a vehicle set up to do what I want comfortably. I think by the time I am ready for a new Ranger, there will be a lot of options out there for me to consider.
I think you're right... hold off a couple more years. I have a good feeling you will be able to drive off the show room floor with a well equipped overlander.

The price might be a bit scary... but you will have far more choices then the 2019 was released with.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
Uncle Gump, the 2019 FX4 Ranger is a fairly well equipped overlander now but I agree it will most likely be better from the factory in a couple years. I would like to see at least 33" tires. I think more after market stuff will be available later too. I don't like to get crazy about modifying but some upgrades make off-road adventures easier.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals