• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

FX-4 or not?

Kevin S

Firefighter
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, it looks like this will be the year I retire my 2000 Ranger and get the new 2020.

Question: Should I get the FX-4 Off-Road Package?

My 2000 had the FX-4 (with the tow package) and over the last 20 years the closest I’ve come to off-roading was, once, when I pulled an old trailer from the back of a friend’s property to the road. Other than that my only off-street driving was on flat dirt at the pumpkin patch.

The only reason I’m considering the FX-4 Package is because I live in Chicago where the roads are often riddled with crater-sized potholes. Although I’ve never had a serious problem with my wife’s non-off-road car I’m thinking that if the Ranger is offering this feature I should consider it, even if it’s just for the underside protections included.

The only reason I would consider not getting the FX-4 Package is that I’ve heard that the ride can be more “bouncy” and “rough” than a truck without it. This truck will most likely become my road-trip vehicle spending a lot of time on the highway so a smoother ride would be preferred. The extra cost of the FX-4 is not a factor.

I’d appreciate any comments or experiences that might help me make my decision.

Right now I’m looking at the XLT with upgrades.

Thanks

Kevin

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Look at the additional packages the FX4 package may require in order to get it. That will be the deciding factor. Being that you are looking at the XLT, there may not be one. I went with the XL because I wanted a rubber floor and was required to get the STX package in order to get the FX4 package.

Ride wise, it's a bit smoother than my 2011 but still rides like a truck. You really have to experience it. It's hard to explain.

If you don't have problems getting around with the vehicles you have now. The locker option might not be for you. There are things you have to watch out for when it comes to snow and ice and a locked axle.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15
Since you are buying the XLT... I'd say no to the FX4 package. It's $1,295 worth of stuff you are saying you'll probably never use.

We bought an XL to avoid as much technology as possible, but living in the mountains of Colorado we did get the FX4. If we were flatlanders in the snow belt.... we would have passed on the FX4 and just get the std 4x4 option (no FX4).

Good luck on your purchase:icon_thumby:

John

Last edited:

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
4WD helps pull you though the snow, which is why FWD vehicles do much better that RWD in limited traction situations

And its easier to PULL a load than to PUSH a load in any situation, just physics, which is why 4WD or AWD is better that RWD

As far as the FX4 options, its a buyers choice but not sure you need it any of it
Any 4WD package should come with limited slip(locking) rear axle

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I do like the contrast of the silver bash plate on the nose if you are not getting a chrome truck and the additional message center would be neat.

This flat lander would FX4 but I don’t live in the city so things can get sporty in the winter commute.

r1ch999999

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I wanted the tow package and the locking diff. They gave me the fx4 package for $260 more. Since I wanted skid plates anyway it was worth it for me.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

r1ch999999

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

acsnowrider

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD RANGER
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I bought the 4X2 XLT with options, and traded off my 2004 FX4 level two--The ride comfort in this new truck is extremely comfortable, even with the new 8 ply rated BFG's, and the ground clearance allows us to still get to the remote areas we frequent--Even more surprising is the fuel mileage we routinely get, and I don't miss the 4x4 option one bit!!

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
The skid plates on that are junk and are just for show
I saw a report where they took a new FX4 on a Jeep trail in Arizona. It is tough enough that they brought a Jeep Rubicon along incase they got into trouble. They banged on the skid plates a few times and even thought there were some scrapes on them, they felt they did a decent job and where worth having and protected critical areas. They also said, if you want to do some extremely serious off-road trails, you would need to lift it a little, get some taller tires and some heavy duty armor under it along with some rock sliders.

I do a lot of off-road expeditions with my 02 FX4 and have been very happy with the stock skid plates. They have a few scrapes but have stood up well over 18 years.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I think there is a video posted up here on that trip. I'm pretty sure I posted it here after seeing it.

r1ch999999

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Mustang
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I saw a report where they took a new FX4 on a Jeep trail in Arizona. It is tough enough that they brought a Jeep Rubicon along incase they got into trouble. They banged on the skid plates a few times and even thought there were some scrapes on them, they felt they did a decent job and where worth having and protected critical areas. They also said, if you want to do some extremely serious off-road trails, you would need to lift it a little, get some taller tires and some heavy duty armor under it along with some rock sliders.

I do a lot of off-road expeditions with my 02 FX4 and have been very happy with the stock skid plates. They have a few scrapes but have stood up well over 18 years.
Right, but like I said, the fx2 skid plates are junk. They aren’t the same as the fx4.

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
I think there is a video posted up here on that trip. I'm pretty sure I posted it here after seeing it.
I think the report I saw was the video you posted. Thanks for that, it was helpful to me for when I do make the jump into a new Ranger. I am still very happy with my old 02 FX4 for now with almost 247K miles on it. I originally planned to keep it for 300K miles so I have a few to go.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I think the report I saw was the video you posted. Thanks for that, it was helpful to me for when I do make the jump into a new Ranger. I am still very happy with my old 02 FX4 for now with almost 247K miles on it. I originally planned to keep it for 300K miles so I have a few to go.
Run it as long as it's practical. A paid for vehicle with an occasional repair, even a big one, is still less expensive than a vehicle payment.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals