• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"Fuzzy locker"?

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
So just got done swapping in one tons from built 35/44, 8.8 both geared 4.88 and welded. After being welded welded for many years I vowed that I would never wheel with an open diff again.

My 60 and 10.25 are open open with 3.73 gears. After I sell some of my old axle parts and tires they are getting geared 5.38 to spin my new to me 38x20 v bars.

The rear is getting welded next week, but before I wheel it I need a locked front. My next funds are allocated to gears as they will be needed the most. I was planning on then locking the front with a lock right when money dictates that I can.

One other option I have looked into is a “fuzzy locker”. This is welding, filling, selected teeth on the side and spider gears while out of the carrier. Both with preheat and post heat processes to ensure proper hardness of the gear is retained. By running this setup I can install the spider and side gears as effectively as a mini spool without having to buy one as savings is key here. Then when I have money for the lock right I can remove the side and spiders to install the lock right.

The one problem I see is the increased side loads created by this setup. From the shape of the gears when they bind up against the filled in gears outward loads will be placed on the carrier. From the side gears parallel to the axle shafts into the carrier, and from the spider gears parallel to the cross shaft. Now this is not what a mini spool does. A mini spool loads the cross pin in shear.

Do you guys think that a 60 carrier can take this for a year or less spinning 38x20 tires backed by a 2.9 with 3.73 gears then 5.38 gears and a doubler transfer case? I did flog on my old setup hard and only plan on going harder on it now.

And I don’t want to hear about steering and all that BS with a welded front, I DID IT FOR YEARS SO I KNOW WHAT IT IS LIKE. Just tell me if you think the 60 carrier can handle the “fuzzy locker” or have any other experience with it for that matter.

Evan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Manual
I hope you realize that if you weld up your front your turning radius will suck and your tires will wear faster. :thefinger:

I don't think the carrier is designed to handle a load in that direction. My fear would be that it will snap in half. Even though you only have a 2.9L, with the way you drive and the gearing you have the axle will still be working pretty hard. But if it does fail, you can just score another carrier on Ebay or bite the bullet and get an ARB. :D

Hey, what are you doing with all your TTB parts??

Last edited:

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Hey Evan. When I get back to tech you need to make it up there so we can finally see and wheel with each other after these few years.

Well after finally registering on Pirate and doing some searching I think that I am going to do it.

Seems that a lot of light Zuk guys do it as well as full size guys. Don’t plan on running it for long, so im doing it.

Oh, and all the parts are for sale. Posted them up awhile ago but havent even got pictures yet of it all. Been to busy with my truck, my dads Willys and work.

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
I am running this setup in the rear of the Fordzuki, and was running it in the front, but was popping birfs left and right, so I got chromos and decided to go easy on them with a lock right.

This is after 3 years. Samurai diff, stock 3.73 gears, behind 6.5:1 sami case, and the pinto 2.3 (now mazda 2.3) with 34 ltbs at ~4psi

This was the only failure I've had, and I'm pretty sure it had to do with straightening the rear housing with the shafts in. :icon_twisted:

Sheared the collar off as you can see, and stripped the splines on the geared side. I welded up another set and have been running them since.

So, basically I think you should be fine to run these for a year. :icon_thumby:

When I welded mine, and several sets for zook owning friends, I simply cleaned them up real good and welded up the valleys, then wrapped in a welding blanket to let them slow cool.

But, at the end of all this, I have to ask why not just fully weld it? The only reason I went this route with the zuk diffs, is it is the only way. The samurai carrier is completely enclosed, except some oiling holes in the ringgear side, making it impossible to get everything in there welded up in a traditional sense.

CheapThrillB2

May 2010 OTOTM
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1975-1995 Ford
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
soon 5.8L
Transmission
Automatic
I agree just weld it all up....

With the 5.38's, 4.0L 5spd in standard low (not double low) with 38's its leaves a little to be desired in the wheel spinning department and power. Are you still running the Mitsu trans?

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Have the M5OD R1, that is the Mitsu right?

The rear is getting fully welded, only going the Fozzy locker route on the front so I can later switch to a lock right later.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
M5OD is the Mazda. Mitsu is the FM145 or FM146

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I've heard of these but I don't trust them. I will be welding the 8.8 on my bronco soon and I will start with this fuzzy locker idea but with the inhearant problems with the 8.8 carrier I plan to weld the spiders to the carrier.

You have to think of the loading and unloading of the spiders. there will be some play between the gears.

The one thing I hate about the lockrite I have in the 8.8 right now. with a manual out on the highway It can be locked but once I start coasting it will unlock. Know what the locker sounds like when it locks back into place, and what it does to the bronco? The sound feels like you have just grenaded the diff but the truck keeps moving. I don't know how much the 8.8 carrier can take of this but I don't trust it. It's also a 50/50 chance on the direction the truck will jolt once it locks back in.

Weld it up now and plan to get a spool later. If your setting your own gears then it will be a cake walk to put the full spool in later. Or just get a danmed mini spool.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
just weld it all up, the trouble of doing all of this is more pain in the ass than just buying a $25-$50 carrier later on. Besides, you should just use a fullcase detroit later on... just save up a little bit longer if money is an issue.

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Well I have the front carrier out and all cleaned up ready to weld.

When I regear I will be setting up my own gears so that’s no big deal.

Like I said I need a locked front but don’t have the funds for a locker. Gears will be first then a front locker. Will not get a full case locker, will get a lock rite. If I weld it up solid then I will regear the welded carrier. Then when I have money for a lock right I will have to buy a new bare carrier install the lock right in that and set up the gears again with the new carrier.

Where is if I fozzy it then I wont have to buy another carrier and have to set the gears twice.

Damn I don’t know…………………………………………………………………………….

Seems that you all think the fozzy will grenade. I mean I will be spinning some large meats but the run time should be under a year with this setup. And if I do blow it up chances are I will have to buy a new carrier anyway and if it blows after I have the 5.38’s in I risk the chance fawking them too.

It just feels wrong welding a HP 60, it deserves better:dunno::icon_twisted:

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
leave it welded and get slugs.... you dont street drive the thing do you?

Frank The Tank

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
I'm not really one for welding, not because of fear of breaking.
But just the lower resale value (yes that matters to me, even if I'm not selling it)
and the garbage to put up with later if it fails, or it needs changed.

Frank

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Street, no, lol. Only high speed asphalt is sees is on a trailer.

Having lockouts is nice thought at times. I do run it high speeds on logging roads and acsess roads while getting from trail to trail and unlocking a welded front is nice for that. And high speeds is 45ish.

I mean I wheel and some times I 2 track while scouting new trail. This is mostly 2 wheel boming around going down many trails that dead end in thick woods and swamps and really tight turning is key when doing that, so lock outs are nice.

NMB2

July 2010 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0 V8
Transmission
Automatic
roger that. Just fully weld the thing and use lockouts.

Todd

HCT
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
90/92/99/04
Make / Model
BIITR
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
Lol, plan on doing the locking operation tomorrow and you and all the other are swaying me to fully welding:icon_welder:

And just to clarify I weld the big round gear to the mushroom looking one right?:icon_twisted::thefinger:

Ah, I need to go to bed.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals