• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Future Plans

L0WnSL0W

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1/2
Tire Size
17" with 235/65/17
My credo
Mild performance, smooth comfy ride
Hi finally decided to make an account. I’ve been around and reading through the forum for years and spent last few weeks reading and searching through and haven’t been able to find any clear answers just close to them. I wanted to purpose my mod plans and see if anyone has any tips or suggestions. These are all going to be more or less happening at once over the summer.
I’ve been wanting to put an IRS in my truck and switch to coil overs in all corners. I got a FREE 2011 Ford Escape complete subframe diff brakes axles etc. It has brakes are bigger and has same drive line connection as my current axle. My only concern is going to a 2.93 geared end (can’t find any ring and pinion for it) I know it’ll have very poor acceleration but my truck is 95% highway driven anyways.
My other plan is to move to a fuel cell, and go to a return style fuel system while working on this. I’m thinking a good tuner would help take care of any of my concerns doing these mods changing shift points/gear ratio, fuelling etc. not sure if there’s anything I haven’t thought of out side of the obvious amount of labor and fabrication which
If this isn’t the right place to post this, sorry just a lot going on and not sure where else.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
A 2.93 in a street only truck wouldnt be *horrible* if you have a 4.0. A 3.0 might be tolerable with a manual. If you have a 4 cylinder youll be sick to your stomach every time you take off up hill though.

Do your plans possibly include a 302 swap? A 302 with that gear probably would be a decent all around cruiser. Most the old 302 boats from the 70s had 120hp, much more weight, and a 2.75 or 3.0 gear.u

L0WnSL0W

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1/2
Tire Size
17" with 235/65/17
My credo
A 2.93 in a street only truck wouldnt be *horrible* if you have a 4.0. A 3.0 might be tolerable with a manual. If you have a 4 cylinder youll be sick to your stomach every time you take off up hill though.

Do your plans possibly include a 302 swap? A 302 with that gear probably would be a decent all around cruiser. Most the old 302 boats from the 70s had 120hp, much more weight, and a 2.75 or 3.0 gear.u
i was thinking of engine swapping to the explorer 5.0 but read the 04+ gauges are different and it wouldn't work. i've since gotten a m90 supercharger sitting in my garage and I semi mocked up a manifold. i do want to put in but want to make sure the ride is more comfortable and the brake upgrades are done hence the suspension swap/rear end swap. I will be doing the 12" sport trac discs up front too and then the fuel is there for it. laundry list of plans im sorting parts for to do as much as i can in one go

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
i was thinking of engine swapping to the explorer 5.0 but read the 04+ gauges are different and it wouldn't work. i've since gotten a m90 supercharger sitting in my garage and I semi mocked up a manifold. i do want to put in but want to make sure the ride is more comfortable and the brake upgrades are done hence the suspension swap/rear end swap. I will be doing the 12" sport trac discs up front too and then the fuel is there for it. laundry list of plans im sorting parts for to do as much as i can in one go
I have no idea on the gauge thing. Untill i looked closer i thought you had a 3rd gen (93-97).

But either way, i dont think power will be a massive issue. Some rangers came stock with 3.08s

L0WnSL0W

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1/2
Tire Size
17" with 235/65/17
My credo
I have no idea on the gauge thing. Untill i looked closer i thought you had a 3rd gen (93-97).

But either way, i dont think power will be a massive issue. Some rangers came stock with 3.08s
yeah the 93-97 is my fav body style (outside of the square bodies)
what I read up seems like it was usually the 4.0 that came with 3.08s. That's why I was curious with the 3.0 and possibly using a programer to set the rear gear ratio. I think that was an option in an old programer i had for a different vehicle. Not sure about ones with the ranger.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
yeah the 93-97 is my fav body style (outside of the square bodies)
what I read up seems like it was usually the 4.0 that came with 3.08s. That's why I was curious with the 3.0 and possibly using a programer to set the rear gear ratio. I think that was an option in an old programer i had for a different vehicle. Not sure about ones with the ranger.
Setting the rear gear ratio on a programmer is only going to affect speedometer readings. Its not going to affect performance either way.

Yes i believe only 4.0s came with 3.08s. A 3.0 with a 2.96 is going to be rough. The 3.0 is pretty weak for low end snort as is. Saddle it with a basic airplane gear its gonna be bad.

Im not sure youre supercharger will help at all for the low end, actually probably hurt it.

I doubt it, but is there any other gearsets for that escape rear? And are you sure its a 2.96? I think the Front Drive ones ran like a 3.4 to something.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Screenshot_20230118-165200_Samsung Internet.jpg

Not sure what year your rear came from but according to google they ran a 3.51 across the board except in manual trans models

A 3.51 wouldnt be bad. Some of the 3.0 trucks ran around with 3.45's stock

L0WnSL0W

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1/2
Tire Size
17" with 235/65/17
My credo
View attachment 87686

Not sure what year your rear came from but according to google they ran a 3.51 across the board except in manual trans models

A 3.51 wouldnt be bad. Some of the 3.0 trucks ran around with 3.45's stock
yeah i was thinking programer to fix the speedo and possibly shift points then with the new fueling set up to adjust for performance.
i can see how the supercharger might hurt on low end with less revolutions going on. guess the only forced air would be a small turbo that can spool quick (which i don't really want to plumb for a 3.0)

its a 2011, the housing says 2.93 on it and everywhere i looked (dana web, escape forums) and they only talk about 2.93 for the AWD. it seems to be a dana 28 rear which barely comes up anywhere. I know the old rangers had dana 28 in the front and that's rarely seen and i don't think i can put front diff ring & pinion in rear diffs if i could even find them.

I tried looking again since you posted that picture and still didn't see anything, I found an ebay listing saying its 3.51 but the tag is all 2.93 LOL. I was looking forward to a cheaper/easier IRS swap as opposed to getting something from a cobra or the +15 mustangs.
Appreciate your time and help.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
yeah i was thinking programer to fix the speedo and possibly shift points then with the new fueling set up to adjust for performance.
i can see how the supercharger might hurt on low end with less revolutions going on. guess the only forced air would be a small turbo that can spool quick (which i don't really want to plumb for a 3.0)

its a 2011, the housing says 2.93 on it and everywhere i looked (dana web, escape forums) and they only talk about 2.93 for the AWD. it seems to be a dana 28 rear which barely comes up anywhere. I know the old rangers had dana 28 in the front and that's rarely seen and i don't think i can put front diff ring & pinion in rear diffs if i could even find them.

I tried looking again since you posted that picture and still didn't see anything, I found an ebay listing saying its 3.51 but the tag is all 2.93 LOL. I was looking forward to a cheaper/easier IRS swap as opposed to getting something from a cobra or the +15 mustangs.
Appreciate your time and help.
Mark the CV shaft and rotate the pinion yoke.

Count how many revolutions the pinion yoke makes compared to what the CV does.

If pinion turns 3 times to 1 CV rotation=2.96
If pinion turns 3.5 times to 1 CV rotation-3.51

2.96 sounds pretty steep to me for a smalll SUV with somewhat weak engines, espicially the 2.5L

I would bet it being a 3.51

Did this come from a 4 banger or a 6?

I think you can make it work. The escape parts are pretty light duty though. So for a cruiser it would pry be fine, but if you thrash on it its probably going to grenade.

Ill do some research too, im curious now.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo

If what im gathering is right 08/09 was a 2.93. 10-12 is 3.51.

Or are you earlier or later then this?

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i think that coil spring rear end would be nice though. i want to try riding in a new dodge with coil springs all the way around, just to see how smooth the ride fells versus a leaf rear end when hitting bumps and stuff. i know on jeep wranglers, when they swapped to coils in 96/97, i was amazed at how much better the ride was

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
i think that coil spring rear end would be nice though. i want to try riding in a new dodge with coil springs all the way around, just to see how smooth the ride fells versus a leaf rear end when hitting bumps and stuff. i know on jeep wranglers, when they swapped to coils in 96/97, i was amazed at how much better the ride was
I can’t imagine they would be much different than any other newer truck, even with a progressive spring rate.
A 2,500lb spring is still going to feel like a 2,500 spring.

rusty ol ranger

2.9 Mafia-Don
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
We got a 2019 ram for a shop truck at work. Its a 5.7 crew cab big horn with a 5.5ft box, 4wd. Pretty standard.

Ive driven it quite a few times and honestly it rides no different then any other semi-modern 1/2 ton ive driven.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Ive driven it quite a few times and honestly it rides no different then any other semi-modern 1/2 ton ive driven.
That being said, most modern 1/2 tons ride like a Lincoln town car. Big and floaty.

L0WnSL0W

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1/2
Tire Size
17" with 235/65/17
My credo
Mark the CV shaft and rotate the pinion yoke.

Count how many revolutions the pinion yoke makes compared to what the CV does.

If pinion turns 3 times to 1 CV rotation=2.96
If pinion turns 3.5 times to 1 CV rotation-3.51

2.96 sounds pretty steep to me for a smalll SUV with somewhat weak engines, espicially the 2.5L

I would bet it being a 3.51

Did this come from a 4 banger or a 6?

I think you can make it work. The escape parts are pretty light duty though. So for a cruiser it would pry be fine, but if you thrash on it its probably going to grenade.

Ill do some research too, im curious now.
yeah i looked into the HP/torque specs of the v6 escapes and theyre close to the 3.0 with upgrades.

I tried doing the spin and count and was a 1:1.5 which was weird so upon further investigating there seems to be some kind of rear diff clutch assembly at the front of the differential as like a nose
maybe i can look into taking it off and seeing how the diff would connect to the drive shaft.
Its looking like its becoming a pipe dream at this point unfortunately.
I might have to wait and find a mustang being parted out to get its rear end instead. then itd be good for a drive train swap
least the escape was free lol.
still going to do coilovers in the front though since its relatively easy with a Tbar and some gussets.
<--- video of the guy doing it since its different then the old method and much simpler to do.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals