• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Fun with a fuel filter

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
Fuel filter is stuck. Apparently the previous owner made one fit.

I had the lean codes (p0171/p0174) when the weather got cold in the fall and after checking all the vacuum lines, it actually turned out to be the intake gaskets which I just changed and codes stopped except when well below zero. I tried to change the fuel filter months ago at the beginning but couldn't get the tank end off. Looked like the filter was on backwards based on the shape of it compared to my replacement. Old one had no visible markings (flow arrow). I just got the PCV hose and grommet to complete the fix but still thought I'd change the fuel filter since I never had. Way overdue. Tried today and made the sad sad discovery. I have a variety of quick disconnect tools that I've accumulated over the years and had no trouble with the engine side. Came off just like they always do or should but the tank side wouldn't budge. The filter would spin and the O-ring felt like it was making good contact but couldn't get the three "spring" tabs to release. Then I realized the problem. The tool would not go in far enough as it would contact what appears to be a second ring that is not locked in. I finally cut the filter off leaving a stub of tubing so I could see better and there is a second ring just inside the opening blocking the action of the tool on the spring clips that are apparently hanging on to another ring. I tried all kinds of Macguyver-esque manipulations but to no avail. I tried to pull it straight out but had no luck there either. I did notice some marks on this fitting like someone had put a wrench to it before but the fitting is working and not leaking.

So now I'm stuck! Fortunately I have a few vehicles to drive so not a big deal right now but just thought I'd vent a bit and maybe someone out there has a trick they could share. My other options are cutting the flex part back to the flared metal tube (only about 5-6 inches back) and clamping the crap out of some new flexible line (I know it has to take up to 70-80psi). Or dropping the tank and replacing the line for like 250 bucks.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. :dunno:

RangahDanga

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
Fuel filter is stuck. Apparently the previous owner made one fit.

I had the lean codes (p0171/p0174) when the weather got cold in the fall and after checking all the vacuum lines, it actually turned out to be the intake gaskets which I just changed and codes stopped except when well below zero. I tried to change the fuel filter months ago at the beginning but couldn't get the tank end off. Looked like the filter was on backwards based on the shape of it compared to my replacement. Old one had no visible markings (flow arrow). I just got the PCV hose and grommet to complete the fix but still thought I'd change the fuel filter since I never had. Way overdue. Tried today and made the sad sad discovery. I have a variety of quick disconnect tools that I've accumulated over the years and had no trouble with the engine side. Came off just like they always do or should but the tank side wouldn't budge. The filter would spin and the O-ring felt like it was making good contact but couldn't get the three "spring" tabs to release. Then I realized the problem. The tool would not go in far enough as it would contact what appears to be a second ring that is not locked in. I finally cut the filter off leaving a stub of tubing so I could see better and there is a second ring just inside the opening blocking the action of the tool on the spring clips that are apparently hanging on to another ring. I tried all kinds of Macguyver-esque manipulations but to no avail. I tried to pull it straight out but had no luck there either. I did notice some marks on this fitting like someone had put a wrench to it before but the fitting is working and not leaking.

So now I'm stuck! Fortunately I have a few vehicles to drive so not a big deal right now but just thought I'd vent a bit and maybe someone out there has a trick they could share. My other options are cutting the flex part back to the flared metal tube (only about 5-6 inches back) and clamping the crap out of some new flexible line (I know it has to take up to 70-80psi). Or dropping the tank and replacing the line for like 250 bucks.

Any feedback will be greatly appreciated. :dunno:
I had the same problem where the previous owner clamped the filter on with vice grips... :annoyed: i cut it (drain your fuel pressure first) and flared on some new fittings w/ an aftermarket fuel filter. Get a good flaring tool and a small pipe cutter. Just like flaring brake lines. haven't had a problem yet and its easy to change.

As for the flexible hose, i'd avoid that. I did it as a temp fix on my 87 Grand National and w/ a 200 GPH fuel pump i blew the line off, and subsequently the entire tank drained onto the road in a few minutes...

4.0blue98

I don't feel tardy...
Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
Round
My credo
It was like that when I found it.
flared on some new fittings w/ an aftermarket fuel filter. Get a good flaring tool and a small pipe cutter. Just like flaring brake lines. haven't had a problem yet and its easy to change.
Thanks for the reply. I do have a flare tool so that might be an option. It actually steps down in diameter before it gets to the flexible line. I'm planning on trying to just rip it off if it stops snowing. I've found some replacement clips and O-rings at Adv Auto. I just hope they have them in stock.

As for the flexible hose, i'd avoid that. I did it as a temp fix on my 87 Grand National and w/ a 200 GPH fuel pump i blew the line off, and subsequently the entire tank drained onto the road in a few minutes...
Yes, It's a bit of pressure but probably not as much as your ride. Just like you said, I'm afraid of the junction failing and spraying fuel all over the place.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals