• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

full width ttb/ifs dana 44 swap into '94 ranger splash stepside

rogue ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0--for now
Transmission
Automatic
4x4 junkie did it by narrowing the width - aaron mathew of uconn off-road and not all there racing swapped-in the complete full-width dana 44 unit. Jim Oaks did the story on aaron mathew's swap in 2006 for TRS. I want to swap in the complete full-width dana 44 front unit in place of the stock dana35 unit. I wish to run at least 35" tires with 5:13 ring and pinions as I think 5:38 ring and pinions would be to weak. ? Anyway --help. I have purchased a dana 44 from a 1993 full sized Ford Bronco with the abs sensors,swaybar,and stock springs. After a little research I think I will have it rebuilt as I do not have a press,required gauges or ever seen it done. I can't even get the driver side inner u-joint apart to pull the axle through the beam and therefor have the differential free of the whole thing. Obviously then I shall have someone else do the install as the geometry,degree's and travel arc's also are beyond my realm. So--Mr. Oaks,Mr. Mathew,Mr. 4x4junkie and anybody else---how can this be done and who can do this???? Or am I voiding my bladder into the wind while day dreaming. special thank you to --metalmacguyver--Hondafreak08--Bent Bolt--odie1969--and 4x4junkie. this site has no equal. --james oaks--the tech library,forums,resource links and most of all the people who through trial and error have done it and are willing to take the time to resource you make it #1. some of the fab work i have seen leaves me in awe. some of you guys must have had an full floater axle set up with the empty diff case as your rocking crib. i dont even want to think about the mobile. lol thanks again

Last edited:

metalmacguyver

Yeah, I built that.
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 1994
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 7.3
Transmission
Manual
lol i like your wording. get a press. learn to do it yourself. you are capable of it, it just takes some time to learn. learning is way better than throwing money at it and hoping that whoever does a good job. especially with custom work.

Hondafreak08

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yeah, and knowing that your not "mr mechanic" helps you alot. I know my limits and try to push them. But atleast i know that i cant rebuild a transfer case. Or i know theres a lot of research in a SAS. Rather than a kid that thinks they can build something whatever way they want and it will come out great

Bent Bolt

Ford Technician
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Supercharged 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
If I were to do things over with my 87, I'd run a TTB D44 and cut&turn the beams to keep the width within reason and get a 8.8 or 9" from a full size Bronco. Not %100 sure but I think the Bronco rear is a bit narrower than a F150.

Maybe in the future on a early Explorer Sport ??

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
If I were to do things over with my 87, I'd run a TTB D44 and cut&turn the beams to keep the width within reason and get a 8.8 or 9" from a full size Bronco. Not %100 sure but I think the Bronco rear is a bit narrower than a F150.

Maybe in the future on a early Explorer Sport ??
well this is my plan as it sets I already have everything out of the bronco sitting in the back yard so any info on doing a full width would be great
basicley I want my 87 to be like nats truck a good all around truck to go play every where.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
A 5.38 D44 pinion should be no weaker than the 5.13 D35 pinions, and there's lots of us running those. If you think you need the 5.38, do it! This will force you to use something other than the 8.8" for the rear though, 5.38 AFAIK is not available for that axle.

Have you searched the forum on this D44 swap? There's been at least a couple threads in the past on it, and should be of some help on how to install the axle.

Edit:

here, this one might help:

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2020

Last edited:

canyoncritter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Willys,Ford,Jee
Transmission
Manual
autofab.com has a kit to put a 44 under the ranger and keep it full width.

Mcneiloff-road.com was working on one when I talked to Chad a few weeks back.

Both shops are ran by good guys.

CopyKat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I'm building 3" lift brackets to do this exact swap.

As of late I've been doing alot of reading on this swap. Check over on RaceDezert.com or DezertRangers.com as there is TONNES of info on it.

For a quick low down here is what you'll need.

Brackets to move the pivot spacing to match that of the F150/Bronco.
Extended rad arms and brackets to locate fore and aft.
New coil buckets or mount on the rad arms for coil placement. Scrap the bucket if you go with Coilovers.

odie1969

Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0l sohc
Transmission
Automatic
I pmed nat and he said he would leave the 44 stock and not cut and turn them. and he would also use coilover setup so you don't have to move out the coil buckets. I will be starting this project soon so any pics would be great I will add pics as soon as I start.

Bronco_Chuck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84, 86 & 89
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 & 2.9
Transmission
Manual
along this same question. i just recived the rear 9" and dana 44 TTB. just wondering if it would work under my bronco2 so that i dont have to shorten the rear. also the 9" has disks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals