• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

full width, Pros & Cons

Fordguy_80

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
New to TRS, and this is my first post. I was just wondering what the pros and cons to going with a full width D44 from an full size late 70s bronco. I understand it may limit me to trails that are not so narrow. Just doing my home work on this, any input on this would be huge help thanks.

86ford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0, abused and misunderstood
Transmission
Manual
The full width axles are said to only be marginally more durable than the d35/31spline 8.8 but the stability of full widths is priceless. The axles your are talking about are only a total of 6 inches wider than the explorer axles. Its a rather large project (depends on your skills) to swap in a full width 44. As far as full width axles making trail riding more difficult I can honestly say I would rather crunch fenders on the fullwidths and be stable than be able to weave in and out of trees with a vehicle that is not as stable.

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
That pretty well sums it up.

The tires sticking out more might actually save from crunching the sheetmetal as much in many instances.

Most of the time you do find fullwidths are more of an asset than a liability. One of the few exceptions however would be on reeeaaaallllly tight forested trails. You can't just put the tire higher up on a tree and drive on over like you can a rock or dirt berm (well, I guess you could in some cases, but it tends to leave scars on the tree trunks that do little more than give the bored enviro-nuts more ammo to try to take away our recreation so we can be miserable like them :annoyed: ). I'd probably keep it narrow if you play in the forests a lot.

Fordguy_80

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, thanks for the input. Would it be easyer to install a EB d44 or a full width one from say a 78 full size bronco. I get the felling that the EB d44 would be easyer, at least from what I have read. Personaly I dont have any exp with a swap like this, but I do start welding school here in a month at the local tech school in my area, and I have been turning a wrech for about 10 years. So I think I can handle it.

KELLY88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997, 2005
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
The EB 44s are about as close at it gets to finding a bolt in SAS for a Ranger. Full widths require more fab. Quite a few trucks on here are running a solid front axle. Some with EB D44, some with full widths, some with narrowed full widths etc. Check out the Offroad Truck of the Month threads or the RBVs Under Construction threads to find ideas and see other people's work and opinions.

Fordguy_80

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for all the good info.

MikeInIdaho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Manual
The only (non performance related) con I can think of to running full widths is the increased chance of getting hassled by the fuzz for your tires sticking out too far from the fenders. Of course, it's nothing that can't be solved with some flares (and mud flaps, possibly) but who wants to get a lecture about vehicle and traffic laws from the po-po?

That being said, the performance benefits of running full-widths easily outweighs what minor drawbacks you might run into along the way. Good luck !

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
I'm runnin a 44/9 combo in my 00. With full widths, my 15.5" wide TSL's and some egg shaped stock wheels from my 79 bronco with factory offset etc, I'm sittin at 84" wide.

I love the stability of it, and my turning is still tighter then factory with my current set up. Oatmealman's S10 hardly beats me at the "U turn at the end of my street" contest.

In a lot of states, if not all, your meats cant stick out past your metal. So you might need fender flares to avoid johnny law breathin down your neck.

I'm glad CO cops are chill. To me at least.

Good luck, and check my build thread for a rough understanding of what it takes to SAS the IFS rigs. Get ready to hack out that big ungawdly crossmember.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I'm runnin a 44/9 combo in my 00. With full widths, my 15.5" wide TSL's and some egg shaped stock wheels from my 79 bronco with factory offset etc, I'm sittin at 84" wide.

I love the stability of it, and my turning is still tighter then factory with my current set up. Oatmealman's S10 hardly beats me at the "U turn at the end of my street" contest.

In a lot of states, if not all, your meats cant stick out past your metal. So you might need fender flares to avoid johnny law breathin down your neck.

I'm glad CO cops are chill. To me at least.

Good luck, and check my build thread for a rough understanding of what it takes to SAS the IFS rigs. Get ready to hack out that big ungawdly crossmember.
so you wanna do mine on b2, when i get the leafs and axle lol, in oklahoma right know but gonna try to start collecting parts when i get back thinking some stock waggy leafs(for now) with the shackle in the front, and a chevy dana 44 8 lug, with a 14 b ff in the rear(gonna run a dodge np208)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals